Unreal Engine 3 on R420 at GDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarkRein said:
SpellSinger said:
I don't think the R420 supports PS3.0. I asked where SM3.0 effects were being used in the game but they were not able to really point out any differences.

I having a hard time seeing where PS3.0 would really affect visual quality or why anyone would support such a small market (0 right now). With all the SM2.0 parts out there I'm not sure anyone will support 3.0 unless ATI or NVidia pays for it. Now SM4.0 would be very cool.
We fully plan to use PS3.0 but we got it a few days before the show so no work has been done on it yet.

Hi, welcome can I ask who you are? :eek:

SpellSinger said:
991060 said:
Didn't you even ask Epic guys why there was such a big difference? I would do so if I was there.

I definitely asked. They said both were running the same config and at almost equal performance. I just didn't trust this due to the NV demo being so choppy
Again this is bullshit. We did not provide comparisons between the two cards and we did NOT anyone both demos that I am aware of. We have NDAs with both companies that prevent us from giving out performance specs and both are unreleased cards and these bullshit mischaracterizations (which are out-and-out lies, btw) are not going to goat us into giving information we're bound by NDA (with BOTH companies) not to give out.

The other bullshit part of this is that we would never compromise our ability to demonstrate our products because of any marketing relationship, such as the MSU contest sponsorship for example, we have. We go to GDC to sell Unreal Engine licenses not to sell somebody's hardware so we showcase our technology the best possible way we can.

SpellSinger,

Care to start from the top and describe again exactly what you saw, minus the assumptions and editorial comments?

Or is the thread about to get nixxed? :LOL:

Yeah there's really no better way to introduce yourself to Beyond3D then to call someone else's posts "complete bullshit" 3 times in 4 posts..... welcome to the forum MarkRein.

MarkRein said:
Vegetto-eX said:
Hi, welcome can I ask who you are? :eek:

Mark Rein, Vice President and co-founder of Epic Games Inc.

Well if you are Mark Rein I'd like to right now state on the record that I hate you very much. I hate you and epic games because your games have ruined 3 of my relationships because I can't stop playing the bloody games ;)

Hahah welcome to the boards man

Remain polite people; you know the saying about shooting the messenger. . . .

Maybe if Mark Rein remains polite everyone else will as well? Or is there some sort of rule that only people who aren't 'big time devs' have to remain polite?

Teasy said:
Maybe if Mark Rein remains polite everyone else will as well? Or is there some sort of rule that only people who aren't 'big time devs' have to remain polite?

Hmm, I would never have gotten into it with Derek Smart if I applied that rule.

No, I just don't want personal attacks being made at a public figure. I wasn't at GDC so I have no idea who's 'in the right', but I also don't have any IHV favoritism leading me to want to believe one over the other.

Teasy said:
Yeah there's really no better way to introduce yourself to Beyond3D then to call someone else's posts "complete bullshit" 3 times in 4 posts..... welcome to the forum MarkRein.
I wanted to be 100% clear in my condemnation of what that person was saying. There was absolutely no truth to it whatsoever. I apologize if my language offended anyone but I was steaming mad when I read this and I wanted to make sure people realized these weren't just half truths, these were complete lies.

John Reynolds said:
I wasn't at GDC so I have no idea who's 'in the right', but I also don't have any IHV favoritism leading me to want to believe one over the other.

I disagree , you do have IHV favortism..I've followed you for a long time. ;)

John Reynolds said:
No, that is the 'real' Mark Rein posting.

Good to hear, I was about to voice a bit of skepticism myself - the first and the third posts seemed a bit... suspect.

Johnny Rotten said:
Good lord. Obviously Dan is under all sorts of NDA and cant comment. Im surprised we got THAT comment out of him to be honest. Trying to bait him into violating his NDA is a little weak.

I just wanted to agree, jeez no one who has a clue will post if we act like little babies and go so basically it totally sucked unless you come and tell us what we want to hear. Just be happy he was kind enough to even reply at all, he probably won't bother next time.

John Reynolds said:
Ylandro said:
Maybe 'MarkRein' is also complete bullshit.... :rolleyes:

No, that is the 'real' Mark Rein posting.

Remain polite people; you know the saying about shooting the messenger. . . .

And that would make Spellsinger an ATi rep? He certainly seems intent on spreading nVidia FUD if MarkRein is to be believed (and I do believe him).

I'll be sure to keep note of this for future "inside info" from Spellsinger.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back