Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Naughty Dog's PS2 games 60fps? Perhaps when the gpu to cpu power ratio is right they switch to targeting 60fps. Because the PS2 had a power ratio similar to PS4 in that the GPU is bloated and the cpu isn't right?
PS2 isn't comparable in any way. A lot of graphics work was handled by the CPU - the GPU wasn't a GPU in conventional sense. A switch by ND to 30 fps from 60 fps would be due to a change in priorities, no doubt due to a change in game style on PS3. Their PS2 games were fast action/arcade games, whereas their PS3 games were more methodical and spectacle-based.

Are Naughty Dog's PS2 games 60fps? Perhaps when the gpu to cpu power ratio is right they switch to targeting 60fps.
I'm sure Jak & Daxter (along with Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper) all ran at 30fps on PlayStation 2.

I think the simple answer as to why Naughty Dog are targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4 is because they are happy with their quality of the visuals. When your shadowing, lighting, draw distance, textures, shaders are all exactly how you want them and you have a ton of GPU resource left, you basically have two choices: a) your go faster, or b) you try to cram more in each frame.

Sometimes less is more, visually. If everything is already of high quality, and you're running up against the laws of diminishing returns, a higher framerate is probably the way to go. Sure you could maybe use that spare GPU time to make the shadows marginally better or use a better AA solution but if this is only detectable by people freezing the game and looking really closely a small bunch of pixels - which probably isn't how 99% of gamers experience the visuals - is it worth it?

As a gamer, I'd say not.

I'm sure Jak & Daxter (along with Ratchet & Clank and Sly Cooper) all ran at 30fps on PlayStation 2.

I think the simple answer as to why Naughty Dog are targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4 is because they are happy with their quality of the visuals. When your shadowing, lighting, draw distance, textures, shaders are all exactly how you want them and you have a ton of GPU resource left, you basically have two choices: a) your go faster, or b) you try to cram more in each frame.

Sometimes less is more, visually. If everything is already of high quality, and you're running up against the laws of diminishing returns, a higher framerate is probably the way to go. Sure you could maybe use that spare GPU time to make the shadows marginally better or use a better AA solution but if this is only detectable by people freezing the game and looking really closely a small bunch of pixels - which probably isn't how 99% of gamers experience the visuals - is it worth it?

As a gamer, I'd say not.

I could have believed this if I hadn't seen their recent trailer.

When you look at the fidelity of Drake and the environment in that teaser, I simply cannot believe that the PS4 gives them so much performance slack that they didn't even need to try to run everything at 60fps with everything looking like that.

When you look at the fidelity of Drake and the environment in that teaser, I simply cannot believe that the PS4 gives them so much performance slack that they didn't even need to try to run everything at 60fps with everything looking like that.

It really was a very limited environment with one single character on screen... And of course they'd make Drake look as good as possible, they've always done that as he's on screen most of the time.

My brain fuses at double negatives.

SYNTAX ERROR. :yep2:

So was Ratchet and Clank.

Proof positive that for many games - where I've transfixed on what is happening on screen - frame rates are arbitrary for me. As long as they don't drop too low, I really don't care.

Except for Wipeout. Because.

So was Ratchet and Clank.

Indeed. They were all 60fps. Jak 2 had quite a bit of tearing though if I remember correctly (in the city), but I think Jak 3 was better again. On the whole, I think Jak & Daxter was pretty much consistent 60fps at all times (and the best of the series anyway). :p

Proof positive that for many games - where I've transfixed on what is happening on screen - frame rates are arbitrary for me. As long as they don't drop too low, I really don't care.

Except for Wipeout. Because.

This is not anywhere near a proof. You can try and play Ratchet and Clank: Nexus and A Crack in Time, and if you do not feel the difference then you have a proof. But you will feel the difference unless you have serious cognitive degradations.

With all this Jak talk... Am I the only one that feels a uber-eye-candified sequel to Jak would be just lovely on PS4? Same for R&C.
Knack can't be the only platformer in sight...

To be fair, I'm not sure Uncharted 4 is official targeting 60 fps in game, unless I've missed a tweet or article somewhere. The demo, the trailer, was 60 Hz, but that may have just been showing off to make a better trailer. eg. "Make a cutscene demo for E3. You've got two weeks."

Two weeks later - "Finished. We took the simplest scene in the game to simplify the effort, but it still looks pretty good."
"And that's maxxing the machine?"
"Not by a long chalk."
"Anything you can do to make it more impressive?"
"By next week? Not really. Oh, how about doubling the framerate? We've got spare cycles"
"Go for it."

End result, an E3 trailer that's impressive as a technical accomplishment, but in which no promises are made and scaling up to a full-on game can be 30 fps.

This is not anywhere near a proof. You can try and play Ratchet and Clank: Nexus and A Crack in Time, and if you do not feel the difference then you have a proof. But you will feel the difference unless you have serious cognitive degradations.
I don't own Nexus, a Crack in Time was the last R&C game I bought. The reviews of Nexus were along the lines of "been there, done that". The first R&C clank I skipped over. Ah, the end of an era.

And on the 30/60fps issue, I didn't say I didn't feel the difference - and to be completely honest I really can't remember what it was like playing R&C on the PlayStation 2 because that was nine years ago (ignoring Size Matters) - I said it was arbitrary to me playing the game. So contrary to cognitive degradation, my brain is more than capable of making time critical decisions based on reduced visual input. I guess I'm more evolved ;)

Am I the only one that feels a uber-eye-candified sequel to Jak would be just lovely on PS4? Same for R&C.
You know they are releasing the original Ratchet & Clank on PlayStation 4 early next year right? I'm assuming they'll do a decent conversion on it.

Personally I think it is a poor choice, I replayed the remastered trilogy on PlayStation 3 a couple of years back and the second and third games are far better rounded in controls and gameplay. I had forgotten that the original game didn't have upgradable weapons, that didn't get introduced until Ratchet & Clank 2. Also the original RYNO weapon will always remain my favourite :)

To be fair, I'm not sure Uncharted 4 is official targeting 60 fps in game, unless I've missed a tweet or article somewhere. The demo, the trailer, was 60 Hz, but that may have just been showing off to make a better trailer. eg. "Make a cutscene demo for E3. You've got two weeks."

Two weeks later - "Finished. We took the simplest scene in the game to simplify the effort, but it still looks pretty good."
"And that's maxxing the machine?"
"Not by a long chalk."
"Anything you can do to make it more impressive?"
"By next week? Not really. Oh, how about doubling the framerate? We've got spare cycles"
"Go for it."

End result, an E3 trailer that's impressive as a technical accomplishment, but in which no promises are made and scaling up to a full-on game can be 30 fps.

You are pushing it a little. :) ND has so far openly talked only about 60fps, and not only when they mantined E3 ingame footage. They confirmed 60 for entire game.

"We’re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and as you can see the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights."
http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_2014_e3_trailer/

You know they are releasing the original Ratchet & Clank on PlayStation 4 early next year right? I'm assuming they'll do a decent conversion on it.

Personally I think it is a poor choice, I replayed the remastered trilogy on PlayStation 3 a couple of years back and the second and third games are far better rounded in controls and gameplay. I had forgotten that the original game didn't have upgradable weapons, that didn't get introduced until Ratchet & Clank 2. Also the original RYNO weapon will always remain my favourite :)

It will note be 100% accurate port. They will do a reimagining with tweaked gameplay and storyline.

I know this has been said a lot, but can I once again say how shocking this was? After seeing what we got in the first year for PS4, I wasn't too impressed. And I thought it wouldn't get much better due to the ease of the hardware. Having that trailer actually being rendered on a PS4 at 30fps would be pushing it I thought. But then I hear they are targeting 60fps? Are they nuts? I take it these guys are GPGPU gods or something?

Do you think they are targeting 60fps because they don't have detailed enough assets to max 30fps? I'm just throwing out whatever explanation I can at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
"We’re targeting 60fps for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and as you can see the visual fidelity for our character models will reach new heights."
Targeting 60fps does not mean the final game will be 60fps. It only means that is what they are aiming for. The unsaid sentiment is that any number of things may result in that target not being met.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back