Ufc111

Happened this weekend, so who watched it?

First, I thought the Carwin/Mir fight was going to last longer as they mentioned that Mir had built himself up and he was looking bigger. It didn't. Very impressive win and I think Brock has really got something to worry about now. Still Brock was standing next to the interim champion at the end and he is still physically bigger. It's going to be an interesting match that's for sure.

St-Pierre/Harding fight also surprised me. I thought GSP would win it earlier but Hardy survived till the end. Still, GSP romped Hardy and won the decision easily.

I think GSP could've ripped the Harding's arm off and chose not to. He looked up at the ref at one point with a sort of WTF look on his face, like you going to stop this fight or am I taking his arm home with me tonight.

Mir is past his prime IMO. He needs to go in the opposite direction, weight-wise. He simply can't handle these guys, doesn't have the chin to take hits from strong heavyweights.

Didn't want to spoil the Carwin/Mir fight but have to agree. Carwin really just dominated Mir. Did you see Brock standing next to Carwin at the end, slightly bigger build but almost identical and both have similar back grounds(wrestling). I like Brock but think Carwin will definitely be his biggest match.

Happened this weekend, so who watched it?

First, I thought the Carwin/Mir fight was going to last longer as they mentioned that Mir had built himself up and he was looking bigger. It didn't. Very impressive win and I think Brock has really got something to worry about now. Still Brock was standing next to the interim champion at the end and he is still physically bigger. It's going to be an interesting match that's for sure.

St-Pierre/Harding fight also surprised me. I thought GSP would win it earlier but Hardy survived till the end. Still, GSP romped Hardy and won the decision easily.

Yeah I always watch the events. Carwin is a beast! Amazing power in his hands and he can take a punch also. Carwin is not 6'5 like the specs say, more like 6'1 or something like that. Brock had his shoes on when they were standing next to each other, but still he is 2-3 inches taller. It's going to be a very interesting match and the heavyweight division in general is amazing at the moment, with guys like Velazques and Dos Santos in the mix as well. The middleweight division is the only one that really needs something bad, maybe when Vitor Belfort comes back... GSP is the king also, but there are some other decent guys there as well.

Speaking of the Mir fight, I can't believe the ref didn't stop it sooner when Mir went flat on the mat, arms and hands also flat next to his head. When you have guys this size you need to be careful, and Carwin got a few extra shots in there that should've been stopped.

I think the ref noticed just a second or two too late. I thought the fight was going to go to the second then all of a sudden Carwin caught Mir and then went to task. Awesome display of his strength.

From the Bio's before I though both were Carwin and Brock are 6.1"(although I see different now) and I know Brock had his shoes on but his chest etc. looked much larger than Carwin. Of course he did have his clothes on too so there's no real indication.

From the UFC site:

Age 32
Height 6' 3" (191 cm)
Weight 265 lbs. (120 kg)
http://www.ufc.com/BrockLesnar

Age 35
Height 6' 5" (196 cm)
Weight 265 lbs. (120 kg)
http://www.ufc.com/ShaneCarwin

Both are about equal.

Height 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)[2]
Weight 265 lb (120 kg; 18.9 st)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brock_Lesnar

Height 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)
Weight 265 lb (120 kg; 18.9 st)[2]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shane_Carwin

Carwin is now expected to face Brock Lesnar for the Undisputed Heavyweight title at UFC 116.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Lesnar-Carwin-Targeted-for-July-23507

Didn't Borck already beat Mir to be the Undisputed champion?

Seems like they are losing the plot.

Well Mir wanted another title fight against Brock(both have bad blood running in between them) but as Brock got injured and Carwin was to face Brock first, the UFC decided that Carwin/Mir would fight it out for the interim title till Brock gets back.

Well Mir wanted another title fight against Brock(both have bad blood running in between them) but as Brock got injured and Carwin was to face Brock first, the UFC decided that Carwin/Mir would fight it out for the interim title till Brock gets back.

Actually it was more like Carwin and Mir would fight for interim title that would turn into actual title, if Brock had to finish his career. At the time they decided to have the interim title, it was unknown whether Brock could come back at all.

I think GSP could've ripped the Harding's arm off and chose not to. He looked up at the ref at one point with a sort of WTF look on his face, like you going to stop this fight or am I taking his arm home with me tonight.
He talked about it at the post-fight press conference, and said that he didn't hold back at all. He made some minor mistakes in the technique, but even so I'm pretty sure that most fighters would have either tapped or suffered severe damage in the same situation. Hardy's a tough, surprisingly flexible guy.

Mir is past his prime IMO. He needs to go in the opposite direction, weight-wise. He simply can't handle these guys, doesn't have the chin to take hits from strong heavyweights.
You gotta give Carwin credit, though. Remember when I mentioned him to you in the last B3D MMA thread? He is just a beast, and now that his footwork and striking are a lot cleaner, I'm pretty sure Lesnar's reign as champ is over.

I don't think Mir is past his prime, as he's better now than in the past. His chin is fine too, but he's just too comfortable getting hit repeatedly in the head. Remember his thumbs up while Brock peppered him? In this fight, he again didn't do much to protect his face, keeping his hands around Carwin's neck and right arm while getting pummeled by left uppercuts. I think he took as many power shots as all four of Carwin's KO'd UFC opponents combined.

Dan Miragliotta is a terrible ref. I was really scared for Mir when Carwin landed like four extra shots before the ref stepped in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Age 35
Height 6' 5" (196 cm)
Weight 265 lbs. (120 kg)
http://www.ufc.com/ShaneCarwin
I'm pretty sure that's wrong. You could see that Carwin was shorter than Mir during the staredown, and he was clearly shorter than Brock, too, so he's probably around 6'1". But his reach is very long, and that's all that really matters in terms of frame.

One thing that was kind of neat for this fight is they put it in some theaters. I don't really have any friends into MMA, so going there was much more fun than ordering it at home.

You gotta give Carwin credit, though. Remember when I mentioned him to you in the last B3D MMA thread? He is just a beast, and now that his footwork and striking are a lot cleaner, I'm pretty sure Lesnar's reign as champ is over.

Carwin has heavy hands, no doubt, but I'm not as confident as you as to who'd win between Carwin and Lesnar. Lesnar seems faster and the more athletic of the two, and will be an interesting fight.

Carwin is such a beast, and he has two engineering BS's... lol
That's my favorite thing about him. Here's post he made on a forum:
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&forum=1&thread=1619853&page=6
No the job is not about the money. I made more at UFC 111 (sponsor, bonus etc) then any of my fights combined. My sponsor dollars alone were bigger then my annual salary at my job.

Millions of dollars or the hopes of that kind of money will never make me take to focus off of setting an example for my kids, an example that they can strive for. Not everyone will play for the NFL or fight for the UFC but everyone can contribute to society and give a little back.

I want my kids to know me as their father who worked hard enough to find time to live his dream instead of a guy who chased a dream while putting his life on hold.
How can you not love this guy?

Carwin has heavy hands, no doubt, but I'm not as confident as you as to who'd win between Carwin and Lesnar. Lesnar seems faster and the more athletic of the two, and will be an interesting fight.
Lesnar has awful striking defense, and could have been KO'd in round 2 at UFC 100 if Mir's head wasn't all mashed up and unable to coordinate his hands to hit a stationary target. Brock just never fought someone his size. Couture was able to fend off Brock's wrestling for the most part, despite being over 50 lbs lighter, and said the biggest problem was Brock's reach.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. There's going to be almost 600 lbs of lean muscle in the cage at UFC 116. What an epic matchup...

Lesnar has awful striking defense, and could have been KO'd in round 2 at UFC 100 if Mir's head wasn't all mashed up and unable to coordinate his hands to hit a stationary target. Brock just never fought someone his size. Couture was able to fend off Brock's wrestling for the most part, despite being over 50 lbs lighter, and said the biggest problem was Brock's reach.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. There's going to be almost 600 lbs of lean muscle in the cage at UFC 116. What an epic matchup...

Lesnar did evade quite a few strikes with fast movement in that Mir fight, also took a couple... Even though we still haven't seen that much of him, I'm quessing that his chin is pretty good also and with that neck it's likely as well.

I think having the great reach and maybe Brock wasn't afraid of Couture's punching power was the reason Brock didn't feel the need to use his wrestling against Couture and instead chose to stand with him. Still Carwin poses a huge challenge... To anyone I might add.

Back