UBIsoft in potential financial trouble

What was wrong with that side-quest? It had the same mechanics and writing as everything else in the game.

The gameplay elements and the context were booring. Its not like youre stoping supervillians or bankrobbers. If a quest is that mundane the writing better be really good, like funny or heartfelt, but its wasnt.

The gameplay elements and the context were booring. Its not like youre stoping supervillians or bankrobbers. If a quest is that mundane the writing better be really good, like funny or heartfelt, but its wasnt.
I would argue it isn't better or worse than 90 % of the other side quests in the game.

It’s a bit unfortunate for this title. They went through dev hell, set unrealistic dates for shipping. I think they could have used another year here.

There’s some shake ups happening at Ubisoft as a result of this. Some of it, I’m surprised didn’t happen earlier. But it’s going to happen soon.

Here’s an impression from someone who simply thought the gameplay sucked.

The game sucks because designers creativity is stiffled due to the DEI auto-inflicted workplace toxicity and censorship from all mighty woke Disney. It's really not that complicated.

For people that like/liked Ubisoft games, which were considered their high points? What are they not delivering now that they used to be? I don't think I've liked anything they've made since maybe the original Splinter Cell trilogy, and frankly I think that formula kind of did everything I needed with the first entry, so it's been a very long time for me.

Division2 is a fantastic game just misses new content the last 4 years. I really loved Far Cry 3-4. FC5 was a disappointment, New Dawn was imho better. Far Cry 6 just felt stale and the engine too old. The game needs a new engine desperately and a fresh approach.

I've only tried AC Valhalla <10h and it just felt like a chore. Didn't enjoy the UI changes to the Origin/Odyssey system at all. All changes felt they made the game experience worse and more confusing. Haven't tried another AC since then and everything I heard sounded the games changed for the worst.

To me Back Flag(exploring the world+ships, forgettable fight system), Origin and Odyssey have been the pinnacle AC experience.

I loved the original 3 Splinter Cell games. Didn't enjoy Double Agent and didn't play Conviction, yet. But the last, Splinter Cell Blacklist was fantastic and imho as good as Chaos Theory, the 3rd, which most consider the best.

Division 2 is excellent and is the best Ubisoft game I’ve played. The Far Cry series is repetitive but can be good mindless fun. Splinter cell conviction and blacklist were good but didn’t have the same magic as the earlier entries which is understandable as they were iterations on the formula.

It’s baffling to me that one of the criticisms of outlaws is poor gunplay. This is from the same studio that made The Division which has excellent 3rd person gunplay and cover mechanics.

I don't understand bad gunplay in any game ever after a certain point. There have been enough games out there that you can sample all the good and bad and just emulate what works well. Try a bunch of shooters and just make your shooting the same as the best of them.

I don't understand bad gunplay in any game ever after a certain point. There have been enough games out there that you can sample all the good and bad and just emulate what works well. Try a bunch of shooters and just make your shooting the same as the best of them.
It’s a lot more complex than that unfortunately. Good shooting design encapsulates a lot more than just the shooting aspect, there is also the response to the gun fire when something hits, when you miss, recoil feel etc.

There’s so much nuance to shooting, people also expect every gun to feel different. If there was one thing I think AI would be appropriate for, this is probably where I would invest it. Gun feel, recoil feel and hit response.

I'd say that games built around energy weapons can sometimes be tricky to get right, especially if the studio is used to realistic kinetic weapons. Looking at Star Wars in particular if you were to use the films as a guide almost all the weapons are one-shot kills. Every ship is blown up or disabled by a single hit, every person is knocked flat on their back and killed/incapacitated. It's not that straight forward to map that aesthetic onto the typical Ubisoft shooter where enemies are such bullet sponges that they need floating health bars to communicate to the player that their bullets are doing something.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with Ubi games. Odyssey was spectacular, and I've only heard good things about Avatar. My wife loved Outlaws and from what I saw it looked good, and right now I'm really enjoying Mirage.

They also make some of the most visually stunning (and best running) games on the market. Although I always have to desaturate the colours in the AC games.

I would argue it isn't better or worse than 90 % of the other side quests in the game.

Yes, there are alot of very crappy sidequest in the game. I liked the one with the robot dog. The only few funny moments in the game were when jameson yells at peter when he´s biking to work.

For people that like/liked Ubisoft games, which were considered their high points? What are they not delivering now that they used to be? I don't think I've liked anything they've made since maybe the original Splinter Cell trilogy, and frankly I think that formula kind of did everything I needed with the first entry, so it's been a very long time for me.

I really liked Origins. The world and the stealth were amazing, even if the combat was terrible. I think Odessy and valhalla were quite crappy. Stealth were nowhere near as good, and oddesey looked a bit crappy to be fair. Pretty fun naval combat though.

Far Cry 3 and 4 were awesome. The main missions and the combat werent the greatest, but taking over outpost was a blast. Taking a outpost in fc4 were some of the best gameplay moments Ive had. The outpost were very well designed. Even hunting animals to upgrade you ammo bags was fun and done tounge in cheek. 5 rhinos to get a slightly bigger wallet, like you could only use the skin around the horn or something. I tried riding a helicopter and blast them with a grenade laucher, but that ruined the skin. So I rode an elefant and smashed them instead.

5 just seemed lazy, the whole outpost thing was crapp. You got sniper with silencer early and there was no penalty (like search patrols or mortar fire) for taking out a whole outpost with your sniper rifle. Same thing with fc6, and they added alot of unnecasary bloat like different ammo types and gear.

I really liked Origins. The world and the stealth were amazing, even if the combat was terrible. I think Odessy and valhalla were quite crappy. Stealth were nowhere near as good, and oddesey looked a bit crappy to be fair. Pretty fun naval combat though.

Far Cry 3 and 4 were awesome. The main missions and the combat werent the greatest, but taking over outpost was a blast. Taking a outpost in fc4 were some of the best gameplay moments Ive had. The outpost were very well designed. Even hunting animals to upgrade you ammo bags was fun and done tounge in cheek. 5 rhinos to get a slightly bigger wallet, like you could only use the skin around the horn or something. I tried riding a helicopter and blast them with a grenade laucher, but that ruined the skin. So I rode an elefant and smashed them instead.

5 just seemed lazy, the whole outpost thing was crapp. You got sniper with silencer early and there was no penalty (like search patrols or mortar fire) for taking out a whole outpost with your sniper rifle. Same thing with fc6, and they added alot of unnecasary bloat like different ammo types and gear.
About the same opinion as you except Odyssey which I loved. But yeah I really liked FC3 and FC4 but couldn't play much of FC5. Game was boring, but mostly the controls were awful on consoles compared to FC4 (even with FC5 been 60fps and FC4 30fps) so I played something else with better controls (probably MH World).

About the same opinion as you except Odyssey which I loved. But yeah I really liked FC3 and FC4 but couldn't play much of FC5. Game was boring, but mostly the controls were awful on consoles compared to FC4 (even with FC5 been 60fps and FC4 30fps) so I played something else with better controls (probably MH World).

I hadnt even reflected on the controls in FC4 vs FC5. Outposts in FC3 and FC4 seemed so well crafted and well balanced, in 5 and 6 it was like they just put up some buildings and enemies without any thought.

Odyssey was I game I really wanted to like but I didnt. What did you like about it?

AC peaked with Unity for me. Far Cry peaked at 3. Each successive entry has gotten worse. I think Unity failing was when Ubisoft fundamentally changed their view on game production. Game design, technical excellence and overall quality was no longer an important factor. The design goal was maximizing content production to service micro transactions.

They even forced Massive, a studio that used to produce truly excellent and fun titles, to churn out cookie cutter games that maximize player time investment for extra revenue potential.

About Odyssey, if you don't approach it in the "right" way you will most likely avoid the main plot line and just explore the map itself and not experience the story line.

It took me 200h playing it like Origin and I was completely dead locked at the Medusa mission. Had to load a backup before that mission and changed my approach completely. That changed the game experience dramatically.

I really enjoyed the emotional plot of the main character and experiencing certain greek characters, myths and gods which requires *all* DLCs. It's not that different to the Origins DLC story framework.

Back