Ubi seems open to buyout

Based on what? The myth that Sony bought their way and killed Sega? :p
But it is not the myth per se. But it is fascinating that even after 20 years people (even Peter Moore) still angry at Sony. Xbox was one step away from being segaed (Sony played the role in that too), but Microsoft decided to open the warchest, that Sega - unfortunately - did not have.

It is still like that meme
Kid stands in front of a world map. Teacher asks kid.
- Where is Sony?
* kid points at Europe *
- Where is Xbox?
* kid points at USA *
- Where is Sega?
* kid points at his heart *

I think that Sony has more incentives to buy something multiplatform and turn it into an exclusives factory.
Bungie managed to stay more independent but apparently was a non negotiable point.
Microsoft would let them do multiplatform and put anything on gamepass for free.
Amazon would concentrate all the subsidiary studios in one single project and then cancel it a month after release.
Tencent would let them produce fruit juice too if that makes money.
EA would let them do multiplatform, and force to release on gameboy advance too.

But it is not the myth per se. But it is fascinating that even after 20 years people (even Peter Moore) still angry at Sony. Xbox was one step away from being segaed (Sony played the role in that too), but Microsoft decided to open the warchest, that Sega - unfortunately - did not have.

It is still like that meme
Yeah Sony was evil, and good MS that Sony was destroying maliciously, came in to the rescue and brought justice.
Oh come on, enough with this nonsensical fanboy console war conspiracy discussions and cry baby attitudes.
Talk with facts and contribute constrictively. The fanboy war arguments and agendas of the 90s and social media trash assumptions have no place in here.

Last edited:
Microsoft would let them do multiplatform and put anything on gamepass for free.
There is a limit to what Microsoft will allow to keep multiplatform. Microsoft is aware more than anybody else how important the exclusivity is. The existing games will be kept available but everything else will go to the platforms where Game Pass exists.

Yeah Sony was evil, and good MS that Sony was destroying maliciously, came in to the rescue and brought justice.
Oh come on, enough with this nonsensical fanboy console war conspiracy discussions and cry baby attitudes.
Talk with facts and contribute constrictively. The fanboy war arguments and agendas of the 90s and social media trash assumptions have no place in here.
Aside internal Sega issues, it is an objective argument that Sony contributed to Sega's demise. Just because you are invested in Playstation it does not mea that Sony requires your defense. And Microsoft is nowhere near "maliciously destroying Sony" mode (no matter how Sony tries to do it with Xbox - even in the open) .

And looking at what Microsoft did to the gaming industry, I could say that gaming industry benefitted a lot of from Microsoft entering the market.

Aside internal Sega issues, it is an objective argument that Sony contributed to Sega's demise. Just because you are invested in Playstation it does not mea that Sony requires your defense. And Microsoft is nowhere near "maliciously destroying Sony" mode (no matter how Sony tries to do it with Xbox - even in the open) .
Again this attitude of "defense" and fanboy talk has no room here.
If you wish to talk about something be more specific. Define contribution and Sony's fault about XBOX getting Sega'ed. XBOX had all the marketing, the power and it's own amount of exclusives and deals too.
Contribution can also be defined as simply existing in the market where competition makes all the wrong business decisions.
Nintendo didnt get "Sega'ed". That tells a lot about who contributed to their own demise and losses.

Why does everyone insist and talking about ancient history instead of current events or even events within the past couple years? Can we move on?

I am surprised by how much discussion is in this thread. It's a fairly simple and short topic.

Ubisoft was asked during their investor call about theoretical acquisition and they responded they would treat them like in the appropriate manner, presenting them to the board. The board can then decide what to do. This is how businesses operate. Keep in mind that the owners are a substantial part of that board.

There is a limit to what Microsoft will allow to keep multiplatform. Microsoft is aware more than anybody else how important the exclusivity is. The existing games will be kept available but everything else will go to the platforms where Game Pass exists.

And looking at what Microsoft did to the gaming industry, I could say that gaming industry benefitted a lot of from Microsoft entering the market.

A lot of Sega's issue were self inflicted. It really started with the 32x in the united states. Then the design of the saturn and the rushed launch in the united states. Then the one two punch of EA boycotting the dreamcast and the dreamcast getting hacked so easily is what finally killed it.

Again this attitude of "defense" and fanboy talk has no room here.
If you wish to talk about something be more specific. Define contribution and Sony's fault about XBOX getting Sega'ed. XBOX had all the marketing, the power and it's own amount of exclusives and deals too.
Contribution can also be defined as simply existing in the market where competition makes all the wrong business decisions.
Nintendo didnt get "Sega'ed". That tells a lot about who contributed to their own demise and losses.

Won't entertain your here much, because there are so many articles and posts on forums (there was one brilliant one on Resetera too) regarding that. Won't be surprised that there are some youtube videos regarding that. (Of course I also has a personal bias that I never hide but I am always aware of it, because I haven't forgotten Sega)

In short of course Sega contributed around 60% to their own demise too (internal infighting, flops and lack of warchest to absorb the losses), but it is undeniable that aggressive moneyhats, FUD and price cuts for consoles finished off Sega. For PS2 as far as I remember it even became the cheapest DVD player (they could afford strong price cuts due to their own warchest as they were a huge media and hardware empire at that time). Of course they made smart decisions too with CD and DVD disks, but just like Microsoft and its warchest - other companies could not compete at that time. Add to that Sony grabbing at lot of big franchises like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider...It was a great play where Sony saw the blood of Sega and went for a kill. Nintendo was also not unscathed and to be honest they survived and became successful when they literally went after the casual market (and handhelds) basically leaving the home console market at one point. Game Cube probably was the last Nintendo console for the hardcore home console market. Then they went to Wii, 3DS, Switch etc.

Ideally Sony wanted to kill Xbox off and tried very hard to do that (and they could succeed) and they never hid their intent (from the rumors). While a lot of blame lies on Xbox of course, Sony again used FUD against Xbox One and in the end even Satya questioned later whether they should stay in console gaming or not. Seeing that Xbox was planning to stay and did not die in Xbox One era, Sony went hard after each and every game associated with Xbox and even were on Xboxbefore. A lot of exclusives from Bethesda, time exclusivity announcement for Final Fantasy (in advance, and such stunt would not even work with Xbox considering what happened with Tomb Raider in the past), they even went after Starfield (personally, I will never forgive them for that and thanks Godd he was with us), KOTOR, rumored Bioshock etc. They also had a strong position due to having the marketing rights for FIFA, COD and GTA (imagine having the marketing rights for this trifecta. Crazy!)

But Microsoft awoke and bought Bethesda ruining part of Sony plans, then we got shortage (that also ruined some Sony's plans) and now ATVI deal that literally have changed the market (it is not closed yet, but it is a seismic event). But while Microsoft is awake and on all on gaming, it feels kinda weird that they are more kind to Sony than Sony to them, but that's kinda understanble. Microsoft knows that if Sony dies somebody else might fill that niche and it will be probably more powerful entity too. Like after Sega, Microsoft joined the fray. After Sony, it was possible that Apple could join the fray (and Sony and Apple are very naturally fit each other to a frightening degree). And Apple had even big warchest than Microsoft and even big brand recognition than Microsoft (and probably even Sony too). And also a stronghold in a mobile market too. Sony + Apple is incredibly power combo.

So Microsoft basically trying to keep the balance of power. That's why Phil mentioned companies like Sony, Nintendo and Valve in his interview.

Maybe Tencent will swallow them up.
I still think the most fitting one is Amazon

Last edited:
A lot of Sega's issue were self inflicted. It really started with the 32x in the united states. Then the design of the saturn and the rushed launch in the united states. Then the one two punch of EA boycotting the dreamcast and the dreamcast getting hacked so easily is what finally killed it.
Sega was drunk on it's Genesis success and by the time they were sobered up by their mistakes with Saturn they were panic driving wondering why they couldn't get their sports car out of the ditch.

Won't entertain your here much, because there are so many articles and posts on forums (there was one brilliant one on Resetera too) regarding that. Won't be surprised that there are some youtube videos regarding that. (Of course I also has a personal bias that I never hide but I am always aware of it, because I haven't forgotten Sega)

In short of course Sega contributed around 60% to their own demise too (internal infighting, flops and lack of warchest to absorb the losses), but it is undeniable that aggressive moneyhats, FUD and price cuts for consoles finished off Sega. For PS2 as far as I remember it even became the cheapest DVD player (they could afford strong price cuts due to their own warchest as they were a huge media and hardware empire at that time). Of course they made smart decisions too with CD and DVD disks, but just like Microsoft and its warchest - other companies could not compete at that time. Add to that Sony grabbing at lot of big franchises like Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider...It was a great play where Sony saw the blood of Sega and went for a kill. Nintendo was also not unscathed and to be honest they survived and became successful when they literally went after the casual market (and handhelds) basically leaving the home console market at one point. Game Cube probably was the last Nintendo console for the hardcore home console market. Then they went to Wii, 3DS, Switch etc.

Ideally Sony wanted to kill Xbox off and tried very hard to do that (and they could succeed) and they never hid their intent (from the rumors). While a lot of blame lies on Xbox of course, Sony again used FUD against Xbox One and in the end even Satya questioned later whether they should stay in console gaming or not. Seeing that Xbox was planning to stay and did not die in Xbox One era, Sony went hard after each and every game associated with Xbox and even were on Xboxbefore. A lot of exclusives from Bethesda, time exclusivity announcement for Final Fantasy (in advance, and such stunt would not even work with Xbox considering what happened with Tomb Raider in the past), they even went after Starfield (personally, I will never forgive them for that and thanks Godd he was with us), KOTOR, rumored Bioshock etc. They also had a strong position due to having the marketing rights for FIFA, COD and GTA (imagine having the marketing rights for this trifecta. Crazy!)

But Microsoft awoke and bought Bethesda ruining part of Sony plans, then we got shortage (that also ruined some Sony's plans) and now ATVI deal that literally have changed the market (it is not closed yet, but it is a seismic event). But while Microsoft is awake and on all on gaming, it feels kinda weird that they are more kind to Sony than Sony to them, but that's kinda understanble. Microsoft knows that if Sony dies somebody else might fill that niche and it will be probably more powerful entity too. Like after Sega, Microsoft joined the fray. After Sony, it was possible that Apple could join the fray (and Sony and Apple are very naturally fit each other to a frightening degree). And Apple had even big warchest than Microsoft and even big brand recognition than Microsoft (and probably even Sony too). And also a stronghold in a mobile market too. Sony + Apple is incredibly power combo.

So Microsoft basically trying to keep the balance of power. That's why Phil mentioned companies like Sony, Nintendo and Valve in his interview.

I still think the most fitting one is Amazon
Eh? I mean, literally WTF.

Are you planning to make a proper grounded discussing or do you really want to go the route of fanboy wars of making up theories and stories that cant distinguish the difference between making a good product, selling it at the right price and marketing it properly vs fanboy conspiracy theories about manipulating the market by the big evil Sony against the good [insert favorite company here]?

The internet is filled with a lot of fanboy bs. But certainly this isnt the place for it.

So no we dont want fanboy theory youtube videos, personal fanboy opinions, and distorted facts.

Last edited:
Sega was drunk on it's Genesis success and by the time they were sobered up by their mistakes with Saturn they were panic driving wondering why they couldn't get their sports car out of the ditch.
Yeah the book the Rise and Fall of Sega shares some pretty interesting information about Sega's demise.
Sega of Japan literally killed off Genesis' success in EU and the US prematurely because all they cared was the market in Japan where the Saturn was doing better and didnt want to listen to what the other markets had to say. They destroyed a strong source of revenue, allowed Nintendo to catch up and they didnt allow the markets in the west to keep their promises for the Genesis/Mega Drive. Then the Saturn wasnt doing well and its demise was hastened when Stolar announced that the Saturn isnt Sega's future.
They disappointed their fanbase and lost it. Their brand was so damaged that they were thinking twice about making the SEGA logo visible on the Dreamcast.
Thry did everything right, but how could they compete with the huge image that Sony created with the Playstation and the distrust they themselves created for anything Sega?
Edit: Actually they did most things right with the DC but some of the things they did wrong cost them dearly

I think japan just had to much control. Apparently they went SH-4 cause it was from a japanese company and there was a lot of fighting to get 3dfx or videologic into their consoles. To be honest I think they would have put out a follow up to the dreamcast if it wasn't hacked. It was selling well enough and it was cheaper than the ps2. I could certainly see them hit lower price points quicker than sony and they could have come out with a dreamcast 2 using Elan T&L chip and newer power vr tech. I think they could have survived another gen that way. But I remember going to china town in NYC and being able to buy every dreamcast game ever made from all over the world for $100 bucks all on cdrs

I do wonder if the hacking was really a thing for most people though. No DC owner I knew bothered with most of that stuff. Sega just knew they were getting murdered by PS2.

I wouldn't describe Sony as "evil", just "cutthroat". It's to be expected with big companies really. What I find strange is the attempt to ascribe virtue to Sony and Nintendo all the time. It's pretty childish IMO.

I do wonder if the hacking was really a thing for most people though. No DC owner I knew bothered with most of that stuff. Sega just knew they were getting murdered by PS2.

I wouldn't describe Sony as "evil", just "cutthroat". It's to be expected with big companies really. What I find strange is the attempt to ascribe virtue to Sony and Nintendo all the time. It's pretty childish IMO.

There was a point where you didn't even need to do anything. The burnt game would have the "hack" on it so you just put the disc in and it played like normal. Everyone I knew had hacked games even family in other states new about it.

Back