TV series, why the long breaks???

I've been anxiously waiting for the return of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis on July 14th and now I read on gateworld.net, that there will be a massive mid-season break from September until January 2007!!! (at least for SG-1, but as both series run concurrently, I figure the same thing happens to Atlantis)
Where are the times, when one could watch through an entire season without month-long breaks? Okay I admit it takes time to shoot an episode and they cannot shoot 365 days a year, but cmon! The suspense is killing me and probably many others.

That's never happened. There have always been breaks. Typically broadcast shows would show new episodes back-to-back until around Thanksgiving. Then they'd have reruns until the obligatory "christmas special". Then reruns until February/March sweeps. Then reruns until the season finales in April/May. Then reruns until September.

SG-1 and Atlantis have those same breaks. They just don't happen during the normal timeframe as other shows.

is atlantis good?

i've just recently been working my way through stargate sg-1 (am about 2/3 of the way through season 8), and find it pretty enjoyable for the most part - is it worth watching atlantis too?

rusty said:
is atlantis good?

i've just recently been working my way through stargate sg-1 (am about 2/3 of the way through season 8), and find it pretty enjoyable for the most part - is it worth watching atlantis too?

Definitely

rusty said:
right, that's yet more on my "to watch" backlog!

ta

Atlantis's timeline is in sync with SG-1 season 8. Atlantis Season 1 starts after SG-1 Season 7, but before Season 8 begins, fyi.

Alstrong said:
To keep interest throughout 9 months of school!
What is this "school" of which you speak? Any why does it only last nine months where you are? Most of the rest of us go to "school" for at least ten years.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure it's basically just pure marketing. It keeps you coming back year after year, and watching them adverts you wouldn't do otherwise.

nutball said:
What is this "school" of which you speak? Any why does it only last nine months where you are? Most of the rest of us go to "school" for at least ten years.

Anyway, to the OP, I don't know for sure but I'm pretty sure it's basically just pure marketing. It keeps you coming back year after year, and watching them adverts you wouldn't do otherwise.
In the US, grade school typically starts in September and ends anywhere from early May - late June. This tends to coincide very nicely with the normal broadcast season.

Natoma said:
Atlantis's timeline is in sync with SG-1 season 8. Atlantis Season 1 starts after SG-1 Season 7, but before Season 8 begins, fyi.

ah okay, well better start watching it now i guess!

cheers!

Natoma said:
In the US, grade school typically starts in September and ends anywhere from early May - late June. This tends to coincide very nicely with the normal broadcast season.

Yup. US shows "conveniently" coincide with US schedules, believe it or not, nutball. :p

Back