Trying to decide on a new laptop

So you first call manufacturers stupid for putting on high resolution screens on ultrabooks, but you haven't actually seen the screens?

What exactly do you expect from me to say? How glorious, magnificent and smart they are? :rolleyes:

If so, I am not going to tell anything and your question is irrelevant to the topic

Oh, and by the way... I called them stupid not because 4K is present there but because it is present there but absent somewhere else

Oh, and by the way... I called them stupid not because 4K is present there but because it is present there but absent somewhere else

OK, so laptop manufacturers are stupid because they put most of their resources on the development of ~14inch screen sized laptops?

Also, are there 4K (or 3K) 17 inch displays available for a reasonable cost?

OK, so laptop manufacturers are stupid because they put most of their resources on the development of ~14inch screen sized laptops?

Also, are there 4K (or 3K) 17 inch displays available for a reasonable cost?

There can not be any technical difficulties, everything is just strategies or in their minds...

Pretty sure UT is trying to say that scaling 4k glass panels from 13/14" to 17" is only a matter of Laptop manufacturer's priorities. Of course almost none of the actually laptop manufacturers also make the glass panels, so the Laptop companies only get to request...Actually do any of the major laptop manufacturers make LCD panels anymore? I don't think so.

Pretty sure UT is trying to say that scaling 4k glass panels from 13/14" to 17" is only a matter of Laptop manufacturer's priorities. Of course almost none of the actually laptop manufacturers also make the glass panels, so the Laptop companies only get to request...Actually do any of the major laptop manufacturers make LCD panels anymore? I don't think so.

There is Samsung, their identity is to be a big conglomerate that makes anything down to that low level no-margins hardware that no one wants to makes, not only panels but flash and memory too.
They sold their HDD division in 2011, though.

I guess than in the past you had more do-it-all conglomerates (I'm thinking of the big well known japanese companies that are consumer brands too) but many activities were sold or spun off. You can't have 10+ DRAM companies anymore, 10+ raw LCD panel companies etc.

Actually do any of the major laptop manufacturers make LCD panels anymore? I don't think so.
Samsung was one of the last, and they sold/are selling their laptop business to...I forget. Sony also used to make panels (often together with other companies) but they've been losing too damn much money these past couple years so they've been spinning off/selling piece after piece of themselves, including both LCD panel manufacturing and now laptop building. LG still make laptops, don't they? They also make panels, but no idea if they make panels for their own laptops... (Probably?) *shrug*

There was never very many companies making both panels and laptops, understandably...

Pretty sure UT is trying to say that scaling 4k glass panels from 13/14" to 17" is only a matter of Laptop manufacturer's priorities.

Of course. The question is whether or not there is a market for those panels. The laptop manufacturers does not seem to think so.

Of course. The question is whether or not there is a market for those panels. The laptop manufacturers does not seem to think so.

Sure, they think there might not be a market for something which actually has the potential power to be the main driving sale force? :rolleyes: Okeeeyyy :LOL:

Sure, they think there might not be a market for something which actually has the potential power to be the main driving sale force? :rolleyes: Okeeeyyy :LOL:

I think you're wrong. The primary target for 17+" laptops are gamers and there is no mobile chipset that is going to push a 4k panel at native resolution at reasonable framerates and gamers buy laptops that can game at reasonable framerates at native resolution.

I am not using my laptop for gaming but because 17 inch display is much more convenient for me and I also said in my previous post that if well engineered (for example with ultra-thin bezels, etc), one of these can be actually a very nice device..

People have been telling you what the problem with your reasoning is, you just don't want to listen.

A 17" laptop is comparatively large (and thus also heavy); a 4k screen at that size will be hard to manufacture (tiny, tiny pixels) and therefore extremely expensive. Just because you can buy large cheapish 4k desktop monitors and TVs (the only really cheap ones with TN tech and therefore very bad color accuracy and angles) doesn't make 4k laptop screens price competitive. Driving a 4k screen will be more work than any laptop could hope to manage. You'd need GPUs so big the laptop would be thick as a brick to fit the necessary cooling. Also, battery life would be counted in minutes, not hours. Also, weight. Also, price.

It's too soon, and simultaneously too late. The era of 17" laptops has passed. Just because you like them and think they're a good idea doesn't make it so.

But go ahead and tell me how I'm insulting you just by stating facts, like last time.

Actually, yes, you are insulting my personality, my personal characteristics as a human, and my likes. I am not going to change myself because the freaking life decided to make me like this with the ultimate goal to get used to somethings which actually hurt me, or I dislike very very badly

I'm pissed that I can't but a "slimfit" 16:10 CRT and run it at 1920x1200 100Hz, on dual link DVI why not. Or any made up res like 1792x1120. All the tech was there when CRTs were dropped.
I also want a mobile device with unlit monochrome LCD and 40 hours battery life, which is what mobile stuff from the 1980s did (pocket computers and the Game Boy).

Now, the real reason IMO you won't have that laptop soon : people will run any random win32 application, see that the icons and stuff are unreadable and they will complain, return the unit or give angry support calls.
High PPI laptops do exist, but they are Google Chrome and Apple laptops. The first one only runs one app (which in turn runs web apps), and the other one works because Apple has no qualms about dropping compatibility and forcing people to upgrade. Even OSX PPC-only apps won't run, whereas Windows runs 18-year-old software just fine and people rant like mad if something doesn't work anymore.

Back