Trouble with converting DivX to DVD

_xxx_

Banned
I tried this tool from VSO and it won't convert any DivX files. It converts about 10-15% and says goodbye. Nero Vision won't even accept most DivX files as input. I have the latest Ace Codec Pack installed, otherwise no problems whatsoever. What am I doing wrong, any ideas?

never heard of VSO before so dont know about that,

but you can convert a divx to dvd using tmpgENC , personally think this is one of the best encoders around.

I agree, I use TMPEG regularly for encoding to DVD.

A problem you are likely to hit if you go that way however is that TMPEG won't author a DVD for you. It just encodes the MPEG2 and you need another app to make the DVD image. Unfortunately most DVD authoring apps will re-encode the video you give them even if it is already in MPEG2 and most do a much worse job of it than TMPEG.

_xxx_ said:
I tried this tool from VSO and it won't convert any DivX files. It converts about 10-15% and says goodbye. Nero Vision won't even accept most DivX files as input. I have the latest Ace Codec Pack installed, otherwise no problems whatsoever. What am I doing wrong, any ideas?
Which DivX version? Which audio codec?

Monty said:
never heard of VSO before so dont know about that,

but you can convert a divx to dvd using tmpgENC , personally think this is one of the best encoders around.

I tried it before, but didn't like the (lack of any usable) interface. I'll try the current version then.

N00b:
DivX5, mp3

madmartyau:
I use the latest free version available from VSO page, don't know the number right now.

EDIT:
I believe it's some problem with the codecs. I'll try uninstalling the Ace pack and installing the codecs manually, that might help...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the audio is VBR mp3 that might be your problem. Some applications and/or codecs don't handle VBR mp3 in AVI files very well.

I use DVDSanta, but it's basically realtime encoding on my system. Wish everybody I knew had dvd players that could play divx directly.

_xxx_ said:

Works fine here. It might be the case that you have a couple of codecs interefering with one another. I've seen advice all over that basically goes "uninstall your codec packs and only install the codecs you need". Installing a bazillion codecs can cause these kinds of annoying problems.

The other possibility is that your file is damaged. You can sometimes get away with running it through Virtualdub with both sound and audio set to "direct stream copy" to fix any problematic frames. However you imply it happens with all files, so I think it's more likely to be a codec issue.

Oh, and DivxToDVD hates running out of memory, and some of the recent beta Xvid codecs seem to have memory leak problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DVD Architect from Sony. Is expensive, but you can get a demo version for 30 days. It is both re-encoding and DVD Authoring (professional and very good, BTW) software. In case it can't recognize your divx's is just a matter of changing the FourCC of the file to 'divx' - 'divx'. If you need any further info on this, let me know and I'll post a mini-guide on how to do it ;)

Soooo, I found the troublemaker. My CPU fan was totally clogged with dust and the CPU got a bit too hot and produced a failure. I was at 60°C when IDLE. Awful. After I cleaned everything (and that was indeed some), everything works fine. Idle 35°C, full load some 50-55°C.

Such a stupid mistake , I should have thought of that.

Also, I found out that my RAM was on single channel since it wasn't in the right slot (three slots and two specific for dual channel). Now the machine's also visibly faster. I haven't found any reference about how the RAM's should be plugged in, I see this as a failure on the manufacturer's side.

Back