Trine 3

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Came across this while trying to find out if PS4's Trine 2 ever got that 1080p 3D update (was limited to 720p 3D at launch due to firmware limitations)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

They made the environments traversible in 3D, which is quite a change from the original.

For now announced for PC later this year, but no doubt PS4 and Xbox One will be announced soon enough.

Making the environments traversible in 3D looks to have ruined the game for me. Its very unlikely I will be buying this one even in a sale now due to that change :(

Tedious box spamming, now in 3d. Hurray.
What's tedious about this game and what do you mean by box spamming? The reviews I read on it scored it high and I've never tried this game but I quite fancy it. I wish this game features proper 3D for the Xbox One version too.

I played the second one a bit and while it looked good, and the 3D was pretty well done, I got very bored very quickly with it. Level after level of repetitiveness.

I found the second one inferior to the first. Don't think I even finished it. It's a beautiful game with a clear soul, but it lacked enjoyable gameplay for me.

I got quite far into Trine 2 just because gawking at the 3D effects kept me wanting to see more and more. The actual gameplay is a tad clunky, but I do really like that the puzzles can be solved almost always in different ways, and it's pretty fun in co-op as well. It isn't that repetitive either imho. If you're finding your spamming boxes then you've probably not bothered to check other ways of solving the puzzle.

But I agree it could still be a bit better, especially by making the controls a tad faster and the animations a little more natural. I think the 3D environments will help put some variety in there though, and from what I've seen in the video the paths are often still narrow enough that it doesn't fundamentally change the game.

What's tedious about this game and what do you mean by box spamming? The reviews I read on it scored it high and I've never tried this game but I quite fancy it. I wish this game features proper 3D for the Xbox One version too.

I just thought it was a ponderous snorefest that was equally shit at being a platformer and a puzzle game. And spamming boxes with the wizard while fighting against the fiddly physics engine is pretty much the solution to 90% of the game's puzzles.

The first game was much better I thought. At least it had some sense of pacing, and if you were decent at using the Thief's grappling hook you could just bypass a lot of the unimaginative puzzling.. There's really no need to turn every single screen into a sluggish box stacking puzzle like Trine 2 did.

I'm not a huge fan of the kitschy and entirely generic art style either. The first game wasn't quite as eye searingly colorful at least.

I got quite far into Trine 2 just because gawking at the 3D effects kept me wanting to see more and more. The actual gameplay is a tad clunky, but I do really like that the puzzles can be solved almost always in different ways, and it's pretty fun in co-op as well. It isn't that repetitive either imho. If you're finding your spamming boxes then you've probably not bothered to check other ways of solving the puzzle.
I call that a design fault. If you have to find a challenge to the puzzles because the game hands you immediate, obvious, easy solutions, something's wrong. T2 also lacked the progression (gear) of T1, and in multiplayer you could all be the same class, meaning the solution to ever traversal was a mage moving a platform with another mage on top, who provide a lift to the first mage.

For those who disliked T2, I do recommend T1.

Tedious box spamming, now in 3d. Hurray.

How is box spamming tedious?!?? My coop friends love my box spamming!
That's not what they say but I'm positive that's how they feel. :p

Seriously, both games are great when cooped with between 3 friends.

I call that a design fault. If you have to find a challenge to the puzzles because the game hands you immediate, obvious, easy solutions, something's wrong. T2 also lacked the progression (gear) of T1, and in multiplayer you could all be the same class, meaning the solution to ever traversal was a mage moving a platform with another mage on top, who provide a lift to the first mage.

For those who disliked T2, I do recommend T1.

You could be yes, but had to be? No. I also actually liked the colorful art. Such lovely light and fog effects.

Screenshot_4_Shipwreck.png

Screenshot_1_Kippo.png

Screenshot_2_Pontius_and_Zoya.png

Screenshot_5_Zoya_jungle.png

Screenshot_3_Pontius_sunset.png

I always liked they art direction!
Previous game looked awesome on 55'' 3D TV, never finished it though!

I don't have the sense of "WOW" looking at this as I still do when looking at Trine 1 and 2. So far it seems more generic and less detailed (not the characters, but the game world and backdrops). I loved the first 2 games, but this one seems to have lost something (a lot of something) in the transition into a more 3D game versus the 2D with 3D visuals of previous Trine games.

Regards,
SB

Just tried this on early access. I haven't had the same kind of graphical wows yet as the previous game, but the gameplay feels much improved, and the 3D environments give the game a much nicer flow, while keeping the feel very similar to the original games. This is a much better game so far already for sure.

Haven't tried 3D yet, will do sometime later.

I have both Trine Enchanted Edition and Trine 2 on my Wii U. Trine 2 is definitely a much larger game, much longer and has more puzzles to solve, but overall I think that the original is slightly better. Mainly because some of the puzzle solving in Trine 2 is tedious after a while, and there really isn't a ton to differentiate the experience from one level to the next. Trine made my think that perhaps shorter games can actually be better at times, as long as the price is right. I am more likely to sit down and play through Trine again because I could potentially do it in a single sitting. I do think the 3D aspect of Trine 3 enhances the game. It looks like they keep the camera pretty much fixed, and the character can simply move on a vertical plane in certain areas. If it comes out on Wii U, I would get it, but its hard to tell if this game's requirements will end up surpassing what the Wii U can do. I don't think it does from the looks of things, the game engine looks pretty much the same, but you never know.

Back