Triathlon - How will I do?

What will be the overall Joe's overall triathlon pace (minutes per mile)?

• Total voters
Joe DeFuria said:
Hey...don't knock 'em...they're a great bike shop! ;)
They're a bit pricey, maybe. But at least they save the world, which is a noble thing to do.

BTW, about the prices, are those "normal" prices for this kind of bikes in the US?

Yes, I've been told (by my brother in law who's a pretty dedicated road racer) they are indeed normal for "bike shop" bikes.

Meaning: you can of course go to a toy store or "mega sports store" and get different (not race worthy, crappy components and cheap steel frames) stuff for a lot cheaper.

Most of which are just fine for recreational biking...but not racing.

The "class" of road bike that I'm buying can be categorized as follows:

1) Legitimate Road Racing...and within racing lines, its geometry is tilted a bit more toward aerodynamics than comfort.
2) Frame Material / Quality: on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best) for racing quality frames, I'd say this is about a 5, maybe 6.
3) Components: On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), this is about a 4

Basically, if you're going to be serious at all about road racing, you're going to spend at least $1000 on a bike.

To get a bike that "the majority" of racers would be "very satisfied" with, you're looking at more like $3000.

I split the middle ($2000) and comprimised some on the components, where someone of my ability would likely not as readily appreciate better quality as readily as I would appreciate the better frame.

This is the "Trek Equivalent" (similar frame material and components), to the bike I'm getting:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/OCLV_Carbon-ZR_9000/5000/index.php

This is an example of a $3000 "majority would be very satisfed with" type bike:

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/Madone/Madone_5.2/index.php

Then of course, you can go nuts and get the "SLI" equivalent in bikes...and spend $7000+

http://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/Road/Performance_Road/Madone/Madone_SSL/index.php

$2000 is nuts to spend on a bike, especially if you're doingn this to get in shape.

Go buy the $150 dollar special. It'll make you work harder.

Additionally, the weight difference between a $5-700 road bike and the $2200 road bike is about the different of a good bowel movement.

Joe DeFuria said:
1) Legitimate Road Racing...and within racing lines, its geometry is tilted a bit more toward aerodynamics than comfort.

To be honest with you, you probably are not going to be fast enough to benefit much from any added aero dynamics. At least not yet.

When it comes to tough excersize, comfort is important. It makes excersizing more appealing and enjoyable.

You obviously can do whatever you like, but I think you should at least considering getting a nice, affordable, and COMFORTABLE training bike for now. Do a triathalon with it, see how you feel and how you perform.

If you get serious about doing it again next year or the year after and are LOVING road racing, then take a look at a pricier model.

But that is just my take on it. If getting a speed demon of a bike gets you in the mood to train and all excited and your budget can afford it then by all means enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Just remember to get a funky helmet to go along with your bike :LOL:

RussSchultz said:
$2000 is nuts to spend on a bike, especially if you're doingn this to get in shape.

If all goes well, I'm going to make this more of a lifestyle / habit.

I already have one...I currently train on my "hybrid" type bike.

Additionally, the weight difference between a $5-700 road bike and the $2200 road bike is about the different of a good bowel movement.

It's not just the weight...(it's where the weight is), the shifting responsiveness (I'm already frustrated by the relatively poor shifting of my current bike.)

Acert93 said:
To be honest with you, you probably are not going to be fast enough to benefit much from any added aero dynamics. At least not yet.

Hopefully by next year I will. And I wanted to get a bike that I could start doing some training with now, so I can get used to it and train the "right muscles" based on the specific position I will be using in the race.

Triathlon bike runs are typically relatively "flat." And there is no drafting allowed. It's basically an individual time trial. So aerodynamics is key when trying to save energy and / or shave off time.

I did indeed consider comfort (and I agree completely that it's very important)...which is why I decided against a bike specifically built for time trials / triathlons. I sort of took the middle road...a slightly aggressivie road bike. Not as "uncomfortable" as a time trial bike, but more aerodynamic than a "long distance" performance road bike.

Comfort is also exactly why I ultimately went with a carbon frame rather than (cheaper) aluminum. Aluminum can actually be "faster", but it's not as comfortable.

When it comes to tough excersize, comfort is important. It makes excersizing more appealing and enjoyable.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm in this for the exercise...but I also want to reasonably compete. :devilish: And when I compete, I want my performance to be measured more on my fitness, than the equipment (or lack thereof) that I have.

You obviously can do whatever you like, but I think you should at least considering getting a nice, affordable, and COMFORTABLE training bike for now. Do a triathalon with it, see how you feel and how you perform.

I do have a hybrid bike that I train with now. I'm keeping that and will likely use that bike on my "recovery" training days . (Will also save wear and tear on the new bike...)

If you get serious about doing it again next year or the year after and are LOVING road racing, then take a look at a pricier model.

Based on what I test rode...the $2000 point really is a sweet spot for price / performance. Kinda like the $200-$250 price point for video cards. I absolutely would not spend less than $1000 based on what I saw and test rode out there.

Just remember to get a funky helmet to go along with your bike :LOL:

Already got one...$15 special at Wal-Mart...it's pretty red! :)

RussSchultz said:

Oh...one other thing. ;)

I know you're talking half tongue in cheek, but that is absolutely not true.

It won't make me work harder...it'll just make me slower. I'm training based on the use of a heart rate monitor....not based on "trying to hit a certain pace / speed." (The goal of a training session, for example, is to work "x amount of time" at a certain effort level...not to cover x amount of distance for a certain amount of time.) As your fitness increases...your pace will gradually quicken all on its own.

The only thing a "slower" bike will do is...slow me down.

When choosing a bike, make sure you get a frame that fit you. Get the frame custom made if you have too.

V3 said:
When choosing a bike, make sure you get a frame that fit you. Get the frame custom made if you have too.

Yup....another reason I went to a bike shop. They will make sure that the frame size is not only correct (I'm a 54 cm), but they will perform a fitting session (takes about an hour) when I pick up the bike.

The best bike in the world won't mean crap if it's not fit properly.

After 2 years of biking with a hybrid (mountain/street) bike I've bought a racing bike last friday. Shimano ultegra equipped, some carbon, 1700EUR list price ... got it for 999EUR. Sure it's just middle-range amatuer bike, but I love it. Nice performace gain right out of the box :D

Nice! That's what I've been told about going from hybrid / mountain to road...it's like night and day.

My bike has a mix of Ultegra and 105 drivetrain parts, but I went with the all carbon frame. I figured as the parts wear out, I'd replace them with full Ultegra. I go for my fitting on Thursday. :)

Did you get clipless pedals and cycle shoes? Any advice you can give?

Joe DeFuria said:
Nice! That's what I've been told about going from hybrid / mountain to road...it's like night and day.

My bike has a mix of Ultegra and 105 drivetrain parts, but I went with the all carbon frame. I figured as the parts wear out, I'd replace them with full Ultegra. I go for my fitting on Thursday. :)

Did you get clipless pedals and cycle shoes? Any advice you can give?
For roads it sure is like night and day. My bike is a full ultegra setup, carbon fork, aluminium frame, shimano whr550 wheel set. The whole bike is so damn light compared to my old hybrid and the price made me compromise on the aluminium frame.

I switched to cleats with the racing cycle and I am regretting, that I haven't done it early. It's a bit more straining, but it's good for another 20-30%.

Quick update:

Up to this point, I've just done some baseline "testing / training" upon which I plan to start my "official" training on Monday. (Sunday is my day of rest).

I'll basically be doing one sport (effort level) a day, 6 days a week: Bike (hard), Run (easy), Swim (hard), Bike (easy), run (hard) swim (easy), rest. Though right now I'm only doing "skill/technique" development in the pool, and not really doing any endurance training yet at all for swimming. Hopefully, I'll have my base stroke down in about 3-4 weeks, at which point I can commence endurance training for the swim.

My goal for the swim is to just get through it with minimal energy loss. I have no idea what my pacing will end up being, but I hope to get through the 800 meters in about 15 minutes.

My "base run" so far is 3 miles total...1 mile run at about 8:30 pace, a couple minute walk, another mile at about the same pace, another walk, and then another mile. The goal will be to run the 5 miles continuously, at a 7 to 8 minute per mile pace.

I can "easily" bike 20 miles at about 16 MPH. (That pace is at my "recovery" exertion level) The goal is to get to about 20 MPH.

The number one goal during my training is to get through it all injury free...which means relatively small increments to build toward my goals.

woot, looking good. :) Yeah when my dad ran marathons, he always complained that as he got older injuries would take longer to bounce back from. From what ive heard, running will be where you need to watchout the most, a very good pair of shoes should help alot.

epic

Joe,

I'd strongly recommend you add a couple of days of weight lifting into your training regimen. It will help you just as much as the cardio you're doing with the running, cycling, and swimming. Weight lifting helps increase your anaerobic lactic acid metabolic rate. Not to mention your metabolic rate at rest.

And it'll make you sexier for the lady at home too. :devilish:

Good on you Joe, Im far too lazy to ever do a triathlon.

Friend of the family was really good, similar to the friend of Russ's. Killed in the swimming, got beaten back bad on the bike esp.
Depends what you are good at, though if you are not a good swimmer I would focus on that more as far as I could pick up from him.

Two small things I remember from him though was, for biking try and keep your pedaling at around 115rpm, something about efficiency.
Also do short 100meter sprints while holding your breath. It increases the efficiency of your lungs.

Good luck and go hard.

Blitzkrieg,

It's not about rpm. It's about finding your max heart rate and working within 70%-80% of that. 115 rpm might be too much for him, or it might be too slow. It depends on how good his cardiovascular system is. Not to mention the gear that he's in when he pedals. ;)

Nah Natoma, its not for exercise sake and working the heart. It was something to do with how the pros actually cycle. They aim for high revolutions over 100rpm or something. Supposedly it makes it easier if you can maintain that kind of rpm. I tried on an exercycle at Uni once. It sounds fast but 115 wasnt too hard to maintain, I imagine at a decent fitness level it would be easily achieveable.

Don't say I didn't warn you if Joe ends up
Vomit.gif
on the side of the road. :p :devilish: :LOL:

Just passing on some of my own wisdom that I've come across while doing my research. :)

Everything I've been reading so far indicates that a cadence of 90 (for both running and cycling actually) is pretty much the target. On my "hard" cycling days, I shoot to maintain a constant cadence of about 90 for extended periods. Based on my limited runs so far, I'm typically between 80-85% max heart rate. Evenetually I'll work in things called "intervals" and hills, to start training for anerobic endurance.

On my "easy" (recovery) cycling days, I go solely by my heart rate, and try and keep it below 75%.

Common wisdom is to work on being a strong cycler as a first priority...since the cycling time is typically about a full half of the triathlon.

Natoma said:
Joe,

I'd strongly recommend you add a couple of days of weight lifting into your training regimen.

Believe it or not, "they say" that the first thing that should be dropped from a training regimen if you lack the time (or the experience) is weight training.

Typically, the first season (or even a year) for the novice is spent almost entirely on building your aerobic base. Not only is lifiting weights not a prioirty, but working about above your lactate threshold in general is not a priority either. Trialthon is primarily an endurance sport...but of course strength will always help. (And strength training is an important part of an experienced triathlete's regimen.) But for novices (or those with time constraints), you typically get bigger returns for your investment building your endurance as a priority. Once you have an established base line there (so you can finish a triathlon "comfortably"), then you continue to build your aerobic endurance, along with anerobic and strength added in.

I'm approaching my training in two "sets" The first one will be primarily focused on aerobic endurance (and skill/technique) and will culminate in late December. (I hope to do a mock race for myself at that time.) I'll take a two week or so "transition", and then start a more "traditional" approach to race training leading up to the June race...one that includes anerobic enduance as well, and possibly weights if I have the time.

On a final note, strength training for triathlons is a bit different than that for body building. For body building, the focus is typically on isolating specific muscles to build and "shape" them. For triathletes (and other sporting athletes in general), the focus is on working muscle groups together. (So you're usually using a range of motion that includes more than one joint). So there's not as much "shaping" going on. ;)

Back