Triathlon - How will I do?

What will be the overall Joe's overall triathlon pace (minutes per mile)?

• Total voters
I'm built more for sprinting than for long distance / endurance.
You wouldn't happen to be related to Gimli, would you?

/sad day when LOTR references must include the movie persona and not the book

I'm surprised at the percentage of will not finish votes. If Joe decides to do this, my impression of his personality is that he'll do it. . .he's just too damn stubborn to quit once he's made his mind up on something.

John Reynolds said:
I'm surprised at the percentage of will not finish votes. If Joe decides to do this, my impression of his personality is that he'll do it. . .he's just too damn stubborn to quit once he's made his mind up on something.
Im one of 2 people who think he can clock 9-10 minutes/mile. :) You can do it joe.

epic

Good for you Joe :D

I have never done a triathalon, but I done some swim instructing and track and field coaching (I used to run competitively). I would suggest reading up on triathalon training and have your training be very similar to the actual event. That means running 4-6mi at a time, taking long aggressive bike rides, and swimming on a regular basis.

1. On the swim... I suggest going to a pool at least twice a week and swim 1/2 mile or more. My guess is that you could do that in 20-30min depending on your form. Work on your form. If it takes getting a lesson or two I suggest it. I personally always found the breast stroke to be a very relaxing stroke and it is fairly effecient when done correctly. So a meddly of crawl stroke (aka freestyle, which is very fast... remember to reach and not splash) and breast stroke (when tired) could be a good way to have an average swim + conserver energy for the run/bike.

If it were my first triathalon I would take the swim portion easy mainly because of the "weak leg" effect. You are semi-boyant in water. When you have pushed yourself swimming your legs feel dead when you get out.

2. Get some good running shoes now. Your ankles, knees, hips, back, and neck will thank you. When the foam begins to get permenant creases and is spongy get new shoes--the old ones are not absorbing the impact like they should.

3. Don't go nuts all at once. Build up. Out of the three the running portion is probably the most demanding (imo). It is easy to pace yourself swimming or biking, but going too slow jogging is REALLY REALLY bad for your joints.

Running > jogging

My guess is for you, realistically, a 9min mile is realistic. 7 would be nice, but that is probably more the following year if you keep it up. So what I would do is what the military does for new recruits: A "ladder". 5mi x 9min = 45min. So

Week 1: Walk briskly 45min a day
Week 2: Walk 22min, run (not job) 1min, walk 22min
Week 3: Walk 14min, run 1min, walk 14min, run 1min, walk 15min
Week 4: Walk 13min, run 2min, walk 13min, run 2min, walk 15min
Week 5: etc...

Basically each weak you are slowly lengthening the amount of time you run but the overall exercise time is the same. This is like resistance training, but for your lungs and legs.

This will be good for a couple of reasons. First is breaks you in. Second is you have less risk of injury by jogging slowly with bad form. And third you are training yourself for a brisk run pace which is not only better for you but also will make you more competitive.

And finally it has mental advantages. You KNOW you can do your 45min walk. Even more, the running portions are a challenge you CAN make. You can get excited about it. 1min? Joe you can do that! 2min? Sure thing! It helps build confidence and you can push yourself a little more.

4. Watch your heart rate. No one wants you to have a heart attack. Read up on this.

5. If you smoke quit now. Smoking inhibits muscle development, lowers the effeciency of your lungs, etc.

6. Stretch before and after excerizing and warm up. Injuries can be a large mental and physical obstacle so try to minimize them.

7. Eat right. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. Eat balanced meals throughout the day that have veggies and other wholesome foods. You will need protien to repair your muscles so make sure you get enough (on top of meat things like yogurt and cottage cheese are pretty easy to pack in a lunch to work).

Get a few good books on training, especially oriented to those who are just now aggressively getting into competition shape.

Most of all have fun, don't take it too hard, and use the first time out as a learning experience. There is always a next year :D

Again, have fun and good luck!

Oh, and I think you could get under 2hrs, so ~9min pace.

Thanks for the great tips, Acert93!

This morning I did my first "run" (before having read your note). I have read elsewhere that indeed, of all the disciplines, running is what should be "gradually phased in" the most.

I've been wlaking briskly for 50 minutes a day, 5 days a week for the past couple months. (That was part of my routine just to lose the 25 lbs I wanted to shed before I considered doing any serious training.) Today, I did a "walk 10 minutes, run/jog 10, walk15, run/jog 5".

I say "run/jog" because I'm pretty sure my form went pretty rapidly down hill after a few minutes. ;) I'll definitely keep in mind the brutality of "slow jogging" in the future. I'll cut down my run times to be only that which I can actually "run" with decent form.

I'm waiting for my heart monitor to arrive in the mail....then I'll be off to do my own "stress test" to find my maximum heart rate. Do you have any suggestions (other than trying to find a clinic?) on how to do this? One suggestion that I read was to run for one mile...a "normal pace" for the first 3/4 mile, but then go flat out for the last 1/4 mi.

On a side note...damn, I thought computers could be an expensive hobby....Next week I'll be looking at getting a decent road bike...

Joe DeFuria said:
I'm waiting for my heart monitor to arrive in the mail....then I'll be off to do my own "stress test" to find my maximum heart rate. Do you have any suggestions (other than trying to find a clinic?) on how to do this? One suggestion that I read was to run for one mile...a "normal pace" for the first 3/4 mile, but then go flat out for the last 1/4 mi.

Max heart rate is usually just estimated with a calculation, something like:

220 - Age = Max heart rate. ( <= This is what we always used)

There are variations though. e.g. Miller's forumula is:

217 - (.85 * Age) = Max Heart Rate

Here is a link to find your ranges:

http://www.bodyforlife2.com/max_heart_rate.htm

Anyhow, your max is going to be ~185-190. You will want to read up a little on hitting the optimal zones for cardio excersize but I honestly would not worry TOO much--at this point something is better than nothing. You have a year, and within 6-8 weeks your lungs, heart, and legs will really begin to become more effecient and stronger. Just find that balance of pushing yourself at a strong pace without hurting yourself.

Again, congradulations on getting into shape and good luck on your race! Just remember however you finish that you are going to be in 100x better shape when you are done :D It is not where you arrive, but how you get there ;)

Man, and here I thought you were going to train for the Iron Man (I am from Hawaii so that's my idea of a Triathlon). ;)

Anyhow, given a year for training, this Triathon should definately be do-able if you train with half the fervor you debate with. :)

Acert93 said:
Max heart rate is usually just estimated with a calculation, something like...

Yes, I've read about those calculations. I also read that while using them is better than nothing (and that about for 80% of people it will be accurate enough), that the max rate can vary pretty wildly based on the individual.

So I'm going to do my own heart rate max test based on one of the books I've read (basically, 4 sets of 100 yard runs up a hill). I just received my heart monitor this past weekend and am learning how to use it....cool cadget. I'll let you know how my max rate run turns out.

...You will want to read up a little on hitting the optimal zones for cardio excersize but I honestly would not worry TOO much...

Yeah, it gets a little more complicated for multi-sport training, as the "hard / easy" alternating days isn't exactly cut and dry. (Even if you are on a "run hard" day, it may actually be considered an "easy" day in terms of giving your bike muscles "rest").

I'm going to be figuring out my actual training schedule later this week.

It also looks like I've about decided on my road bike.

And just as in every other "major" purchase (house, car, video cards etc.) it always seems that the "one you want" is one step beyond what you're really willing to pay. I comprimised a bit on components to get a better frame...with the theory that as some of these components wear out (wheels, some drivetrain parts), they'll get replaced with better quality ones.

Overclock your heart, use water cooling, and fudge up the per-steps precision down to 16feet, and it should be okay.

newschool_670.jpg

:?

Back