Trials: evolution. [xbla]

Yeah, I don't know if Edge rates XBLA games like normal games--if so a 9 is fine. But if the rating is rated in the context of the genre/price, i.e. arcade titles, I feel it is a travesty for it to be anything less than a 10. HD is easily one of the best arcade titles ever and this looks to refine the skill ramp up, waaay better graphics, a ton of new coarses and minigames, an improved track editor with a full sharing network that can do crazy things, MP is added for local and online, just crazy stuff. Few AAA games are this packed so Evolution is really setting a new bar.

Laughably, Minecraft is a 1600pt game lol.

Yeah, I don't know if Edge rates XBLA games like normal games--if so a 9 is fine. But if the rating is rated in the context of the genre/price, i.e. arcade titles, I feel it is a travesty for it to be anything less than a 10. HD is easily one of the best arcade titles ever and this looks to refine the skill ramp up, waaay better graphics, a ton of new coarses and minigames, an improved track editor with a full sharing network that can do crazy things, MP is added for local and online, just crazy stuff. Few AAA games are this packed so Evolution is really setting a new bar.

Laughably, Minecraft is a 1600pt game lol.

Edge doesn't hand out 10's like IGN. They actually use a 1-10 scale. One of the 2 or 3 site reviews I actually respect.

Yesterday we started releasing series of 32 Trials Evolution editor tutorial videos. I think there will be 2 new videos every day until the release:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL38DB3EFF27B438AA&feature=plcp

Whoa Nelly! Trials Evo is set to have some amazing user created content. The Advanced Object editing in the Pro Editor is very detailed--it is like Trials HD had babies with Kodu.

Btw, MAJOR Kudos for having text next to the options stating what they do. It never fails to boggle my mind the games with nice, robust features with odd names and no details WHAT they do.

With the camera controls (2 videos, #5 and #6 on sebbbi's link) I already expect a ton of 1st person Trials carnage. Who needed a new Excite Bike 3D?

I still want to be able to change lanes sebbbi. Evo is only a 9.999 (out of 5) until then :p

EDIT: LOL at Gigatrack. Doesn't look really hard but the length and space between check points is going to drive some people mad. Love it!

sebbbi, I am really digging the dynmaic, data driven features of the engine. e.g. Just watched the environment tutorial and all the lighting, fog, etc is dynamic and extremely adjustable through the sliders.

When I think of the problems facing developers going forward I, as a very novice programmer by hobby, wonder why techniques that are dynamic and engines that are data driven are not used to offset some of the difficulties/costs. It may be a lot of work to lay the foundation--I am sure you guys worked really, really hard on the Trials engine as it looks very nice--but it seems from a content creation perspective it is a total win.

Question: how much did "real time" features play into your game development? How does this approach from more traditional approaches? iirc Trials HD basically loads everything up at the beginning of the game to minimize track load times (brilliant move). What is the biggest tradeoff you wish you could change in your engine design? (Not an example you would choose, but for example shadowing with dynamic lights pays a high HQ cost compared to more static ones) I am curious what tradeoff you made for loading everything into memory with customizable maps and dynamic settings which is the most painful (but also necessary). I hope you guys do a Trials post mortum sometime! :D

First reviews... looking really good so far :)

ComputerAndVideoGames, 9.4/10: "The best game on Xbox Live Arcade. Ever.". link
Official Xbox Magazine, 9.5/10: "Trials Evolution is as close to a perfect download as we’re ever likely to get". link
EDGE Magazine #240, May 2012; 9/10: "The deepest online experience in XBLA history". link
Eurogamer, 9/10: "The way that it makes its challenging content accessible to a majority of players, however, is what singles it out as one of the best". link
IGN, 9/10: "Rarely have I played a game that better caters to all walks of players". link
Metro GameCentral, 9/10 "A masterpiece in physics-based destruction and one of the most entertaining ways to fall out with friends ever devised". link

Definitely! Going to have a look at home tonightif it's up for download.

First reviews... looking really good so far :)

ComputerAndVideoGames, 9.4/10: "The best game on Xbox Live Arcade. Ever.". link
Official Xbox Magazine, 9.5/10: "Trials Evolution is as close to a perfect download as we’re ever likely to get". link
EDGE Magazine #240, May 2012; 9/10: "The deepest online experience in XBLA history". link
Eurogamer, 9/10: "The way that it makes its challenging content accessible to a majority of players, however, is what singles it out as one of the best". link
IGN, 9/10: "Rarely have I played a game that better caters to all walks of players". link
Metro GameCentral, 9/10 "A masterpiece in physics-based destruction and one of the most entertaining ways to fall out with friends ever devised". link

Congratulations to you and the rest of the Red Lynx team, you guys have made a true time killer :)

Have have already played 2-3 houres and I'm have managed gold on all but one track in D & C class.

Once again, congratulations :)

Working on unlocks right now. Almost at hard tracks. Soooo good.

I noticed a few things.

1. The bikes are more durable. In THD bikes would break often when landed at extreme compression on either end. Here they seem to take a bit more of a beating

2. The rider is the opposite. Hitting your head is not a big no no and even light touches have lead to a fault. Maybe all the THD concussions finally caught up with him? :)

There is one track that no one will see coming!

I will say that I really prefer the proper tracks without any environmental effects/gimmicks. I like to be in full control of the bike and rider.

Sebbi and team, congrats on the best XBLA title.

Or you could give that a rest and play Trials: Evolution instead!

Spit coke out of my nose on that one lol, my nose is burning now! Aside from that...does the difficultly of this game ramp up really fast like the previous one, or does it get harder at a bit more leisurely of a pace? I had some trouble on the previous game as it got really hard really fast!

Spit coke out of my nose on that one lol, my nose is burning now! Aside from that...does the difficultly of this game ramp up really fast like the previous one, or does it get harder at a bit more leisurely of a pace? I had some trouble on the previous game as it got really hard really fast!

yes LOL here too..

also I have same concern... love the demo (beautiful; THAT's how you do a sequel) but the first one got really hard really fast for my old thumbs. :p

I just passed a few of the extreme tracks and ran through everything else. 2hr 45min later and I'm mentally tired!

Game is amazing by any measure. Rarely the case but this is worth the wait.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's toned down until you hit the extreme tracks. Most people should not have too much difficutly passing all the hard tracks. Once you hit extreme, good luck.

Anyone else getting "can't connect to Xbox live leaderboards" errors after each track? Do you need a gold account or something silly?

Update: Xbox live leaderboards started working for me. Maybe just a temporary glitch.

Anyways the game is awesome, as expected. Congrats sebbbi - the review scores are well-deserved and I'm sure you guys will do really well with this game.

On a personal note, it's really great to see SDSM and EVSM implemented robustly and even improved upon so well in a game. It makes me happy to see the work get put to good use finally - thanks :)

So now you start work on the high res Steam port? :p

I just passed a few of the extreme tracks and ran through everything else. 2hr 45min later and I'm mentally tired!

Game is amazing by any measure. Rarely the case but this is worth the wait.

In terms of difficulty, I'd say it's toned down until you hit the extreme tracks. Most people should not have too much difficutly passing all the hard tracks. Once you hit extreme, good luck.

thanks but now that I think about it, won't the DL tracks be able to allow me to play for hours and hours without ever bothering with extreme :devilish: if I want?
Anyoone know if DL tracks are able to be categorized by difficulty?

thx

Back