Tool from ATI boosts Doom 3 (and allegedly other OpenGL) AA performance by up to 35%

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahrikmili

Newcomer
Very interesting if true, looking forward to it. I really wonder what they did with the memory mapping and why it only works for MSAA.. Here's the news:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3668

[quote="Hexus.net]ATI Technologies have this morning made a tool available to HEXUS which supposedly improves scores in Doom3 when antialiasing is enabled. Improvements 'of up to 35%' are explicitly mentioned by sources within ATI. The tool seemingly changes the way the graphics card maps its own memory to better deal with handling AA sample data in Doom3's case.

As well as supporting Doom3, the tool is said to increase performance in all OpenGL titles when using antialiasing. With Doom3 the poster child for that graphics API, ATI's willingness to promote the increases in that application in particular are understandable.

The fix will shortly be rolled into CATALYST 5.11 according to ATI sources and a beta drop of that driver will be made available for testing in due course, before the final WHQL driver from Terry Makedon's CATALYST team is made available for public download in November.

HEXUS are in the process of testing the fix and we'll bring you some scores using the executable tool very shortly. More on the tool and the fix as we get it.

Doom3 Performance
On an Athlon 64 FX-57 system (ASUS A8N-SLI, 1GiB DDR400, Radeon X1800 XT), the tool shows the following increase in Doom3 scores using HEXUS's own custom demo. Timedemo 1 built in to the game shows similar gains and the HEXUS results show a 32% performance boost at 1600x1200.

bench-doom3.png

More performance figures including Chronicles of Riddick and GeForce 7800 GTX comparison results on the latest NVIDIA driver to follow.[/quote]

P.S. First time I start a thread here I think, if this was previously discussed I missed it despite searching for it, my apologies in advance. Also, if this is the wrong forum, once again, my apologies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back