Too many number games for my taste buds:P...this gen consoles stnd side by side..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreas

Newcomer
hi everyone.... Ive been looking around at spec sheets and the official statements from the respective companies for the nxt gen consoles (PS3, X-Box 360).
And well microsoft say they have 48 million sops one day and ATI say xboxes gpu is in fact capable of 192 sops....SO WHICH IS IT?? its a massive difference. And im dying to know! pls tell me i cannot find the HARD ACTUAL FACT that the xenos is capable of 192 sops (48 pipes * 4 floats per op) were it used to be 2 floats per op!!!!;( i dnt get it. ANYone shed any light on this please...AND YES I KNOW there have been discussions over this MANY MANY TIMES!......BUT! there is no FINAL RESULTS.....
also i was thinking" wow what a great machine sony have made... with the cell doing rendering etc..." and then i thought./......... "hang on, if cell has 8 VMX vector units @ 3.2Ghz.. that truly helps the RSX so the vertex pipes yes do sit idle at some stage but the cell makes up for it.........AND THEN! i also thought.but the xenos can already push out 96 billion shader ops (IF THE ABOVE 192 sops is tru of course!) and it has 3 VMX units which employ themselves and are split between each G5 xenon core.so in essence if ps3 has 100 billion shader ops per second (RSX & CELL) and 360 has 96 (on its own) and then has the three VMX units.well they should have around the same power............(well shading power)
so in conlusion as devs already sed: PS3 cpu advantage and 360 gpu advantage..ONCE AGAIN THSI GENERATION will not (or shouldnt by the likes of things) have a clear winner. So as a final output to us the gamers different techniques can be used on each system to achieve ESSENTIALY the same result..............

Am i right or just plain dum? shed sum light please and ecpecially on the 196 sops for the xenos thing pLZX!!!

Welcome to the forums, Andreas, and let me be the first to say: formatting is fundamental:!: Please format your thoughts into a more readable sentence and paragraph structure, and eliminate the train of thought "...." transitions out of respect to the other forum members. You can't realistically expect someone to take the time to answer your question about the basis of Xenos' theoretical shops power if you don't extend the initial courtesy of organizing your thoughts into a more presentable form before posting.

And while I can appreciate the occasional exclamation, littering your post with CAPS and !!!s and AOL abbreviations (dum, sum) is also against the forum rules (aka etiquette).

That said, I'll step aside and give a more helpful soul a chance to shine. I'm out of the Xenos theoretical specs loop, but I suspect a search for Xenos and shops or even flops might turn up something useful, as this is by no means a new topic.

hi everyone.... Ive been looking around at spec sheets and the official statements from the respective companies for the nxt gen consoles (PS3, X-Box 360).
And well microsoft say they have 48 million sops one day and ATI say xboxes gpu is in fact capable of 192 sops....SO WHICH IS IT?? its a massive difference. And im dying to know! pls tell me i cannot find the HARD ACTUAL FACT that the xenos is capable of 192 sops (48 pipes * 4 floats per op) were it used to be 2 floats per op!!!!;( i dnt get it. ANYone shed any light on this please...AND YES I KNOW there have been discussions over this MANY MANY TIMES!......BUT! there is no FINAL RESULTS.....
also i was thinking" wow what a great machine sony have made... with the cell doing rendering etc..." and then i thought./......... "hang on, if cell has 8 VMX vector units @ 3.2Ghz.. that truly helps the RSX so the vertex pipes yes do sit idle at some stage but the cell makes up for it.........AND THEN! i also thought.but the xenos can already push out 96 billion shader ops (IF THE ABOVE 192 sops is tru of course!) and it has 3 VMX units which employ themselves and are split between each G5 xenon core.so in essence if ps3 has 100 billion shader ops per second (RSX & CELL) and 360 has 96 (on its own) and then has the three VMX units.well they should have around the same power............(well shading power)
so in conlusion as devs already sed: PS3 cpu advantage and 360 gpu advantage..ONCE AGAIN THSI GENERATION will not (or shouldnt by the likes of things) have a clear winner. So as a final output to us the gamers different techniques can be used on each system to achieve ESSENTIALY the same result..............

Am i right or just plain dum? shed sum light please and ecpecially on the 196 sops for the xenos thing pLZX!!!

multiply 96 billion shader ops by .5 (for 500 Mhz) and you get 48 billion shader operations.

They're just countin different things.

counting ops as scalers
48*4*2*500e6 = 192e9
or counting as vectors
48*2*500e6 = 48e9

Both are meaningless

yes ok thanks! but is the 192 sops from the xenos comparable to the 136 sops of the RSX? im confuzed!:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back