Tom's looks at Intel's 65nm P4

overclocked said:
How long has AMD been working on their next generation of cpus, now K10?

Since AXP days or before? Lol, these chips are being thought about long in advance. Maybe not that long, but easily since the later days of the AXP.

Skrying said:
Since AXP days or before? Lol, these chips are being thought about long in advance. Maybe not that long, but easily since the later days of the AXP.

yap, something like that.... i know for sure they started on them before A64 launched, so now they have best chip out there AND long time developemnt of their next gen....
while Intel has... what it has and sort of panic to throw something out that might compete with AMD....

Intel's next gen chips have been in the works for a comparable time period to AMD's. That the alternate K8-then-K9-now-K10 was so overly ambitious that it's been delayed so much doesn't mean it will be a great chip by virtue of the wait alone.

The Pentium-M line has been worked on for quite some time in parallel with Netburst. It's focus has been widened with the huge stumble with Prescott and Tejas, but it's not something that was just thrown together.

There's so little information on K10 despite the multiple design cycles it has failed to complete that it is probably not a good idea to speculate that it will best the next gen Intel cores.

Typically, the longer a pot is allowed to sit and simmer in the computer biz, the worse the taste when it's finished. It isn't just Daikatana, NV30 and Phantom that are anecdotal evidence of this correlation... ;)

well.... Pentium M is great chip and my guess is that Intel will build around it for now, untill its next gen comes. problem is.... what if next gen was planned on Netburst?
for home PC i would buy AMD any day.... but for laptop... dunno, i am not so sure Turion is as good as Pentium M.... offcourse that depends what kind of laptop/notebook/desktop replacement you need.....

i guess if u wanna game, you go AMD, but for everything else Pentium M is really great chip.... Presscot was disaster....

silence said:
well.... Pentium M is great chip and my guess is that Intel will build around it for now, untill its next gen comes. problem is.... what if next gen was planned on Netburst?
for home PC i would buy AMD any day.... but for laptop... dunno, i am not so sure Turion is as good as Pentium M.... offcourse that depends what kind of laptop/notebook/desktop replacement you need.....

i guess if u wanna game, you go AMD, but for everything else Pentium M is really great chip.... Presscot was disaster....
We can only hope.
Dual core pentium m at competitive prices..
With built in memory controllor:D
Excuse me.. I was day dreaming.
Oh and naturally the turion is worse than the P M since it's just a low voltage desktop chip.

radeonic2 said:
We can only hope.
Dual core pentium m at competitive prices..
With built in memory controllor:D

well.... they need better FPU for desktops, but built in memory controller is what i expect of next gen Intel. as i said, it wasnt AMD who had to drop their entire roadmap and drop many projects just to ...maybe.... catch competition in a year....

while competition is working peacefully on their next gen.... ;)

Well, I know that I'm rooting for AMD, but Intel has much more money, engineering talent, and fabrication resources, so I would not count them out on their next architecture. AMD still has very much an uphill battle to fight for their next-gen architecture to best Intel's.

Chalnoth said:
Well, I know that I'm rooting for AMD, but Intel has much more money, engineering talent, and fabrication resources, so I would not count them out on their next architecture. AMD still has very much an uphill battle to fight for their next-gen architecture to best Intel's.

they did it with K8.... and been working on next gen since then....
while Intel is on defensive right now.
as much as i root/like AMD i wouldnt buy less quality product just cause of some brand loyality..... to put it simple, i would buy Centrino(Pentium M) laptop over AMD solution.....

P-M was developed for that and it is best out there.... simple....

silence said:
they did it with K8.... and been working on next gen since then....
But they did get a lucky break with the K8: Intel simply made a very bad design decision by going for high clockspeeds over IPC, and a bad strategic decision in not going for a 64-bit upgrade to the 32-bit x86 architecture.

It's unlikely that AMD will get any such lucky breaks with Intel's next generation cores.

Chalnoth said:
But they did get a lucky break with the K8: Intel simply made a very bad design decision by going for high clockspeeds over IPC, and a bad strategic decision in not going for a 64-bit upgrade to the 32-bit x86 architecture.

It's unlikely that AMD will get any such lucky breaks with Intel's next generation cores.

true.... they went for clockspeed and AMD went for efficiancy....
thing is (at least IMO).... Intel has to :
a) work with what it has and make it better is shortest possible time.. prolly making some sort of P-M desktop chip
b) work from scratch.... where AMD has big lead....

as i pointed, dont forget AMD/IBM alliance..... none of us has any ideas what will come out of that, but that might be very powerfull lever for AMD..... most of their R&D is done in IBM labs....

so... either desktop verion of P-M or completlly new chip.... so, how long it will take Intel to make completlly new chip?

silence said:
b) work from scratch....
Realistically speaking, "from scratch" doesn't exist. There are technologies and potential designs all over the place. It's just about "which one to go with?"

as i pointed, dont forget AMD/IBM alliance..... none of us has any ideas what will come out of that, but that might be very powerfull lever for AMD..... most of their R&D is done in IBM labs....
I don't see how this is an advantage. It is a good thing for AMD that they are partnered with an experienced and able company for process design, but Intel has all of this under one roof.

so... either desktop verion of P-M or completlly new chip.... so, how long it will take Intel to make completlly new chip?
Intel have already stated that the successor to Pentium 4, codename Conroe, will be more like the Pentium M design and focus on computing power per watt. It's already done. It's just sitting there waiting for the right time to be introduced. I am sure its successor is also well along in the pipeline of things.

i never said i dont think Intel has some solution, but they are the ones playing catch up game now.....
and as for AMD/IBM alliance.... IMO, that is more important then anything else.

in the end i dont care who brings best chip out, as long as we (buyers/customers) get best value for our money..... thats all... and if there was no K8, we would be seeing 5+ Ghz Presscots that need nuclear power plant in your backyard to work (ok,ok, i am joking;))

Tim said:
AMD has never made more money on their CPU buisness than they do now, AMD has never had bigger revennue in their CPU business as they have now, AMD has never had as high a ASP compared to Intel as they do now and AMD has never has as high a $-share as they do now. All in all AMD has never done better on the CPU side of their business.

Actually, AMD made more money (operation income) in 2000 than in 2004. Although K8 looks much stronger than K7, but K7 is still the most successful product for AMD in terms of financial success.

The success of K7 was short lived because Intel came up with a strong product (Northwood P4) not long after it. However, this time Intel failed to make a good one. Prescott is basically a "hack." This gives a lot breathing rooms for AMD. However, AMD is still unable to make good profit from it.

On the other hand, the success of K8 in low end server market is very good for AMD. Even if Yonah and Merom are as good as they look, AMD will still have the nice share of server market (mainly by Sun), which alone could be enough for AMD's survival.

pcchen said:
Actually, AMD made more money (operation income) in 2000 than in 2004. Although K8 looks much stronger than K7, but K7 is still the most successful product for AMD in terms of financial success.

The success of K7 was short lived because Intel came up with a strong product (Northwood P4) not long after it. However, this time Intel failed to make a good one. Prescott is basically a "hack." This gives a lot breathing rooms for AMD. However, AMD is still unable to make good profit from it.

On the other hand, the success of K8 in low end server market is very good for AMD. Even if Yonah and Merom are as good as they look, AMD will still have the nice share of server market (mainly by Sun), which alone could be enough for AMD's survival.
http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/10/14/amd_outsells_intel/

That's great for AMD, I hope it continues. The more systems they get out, and the more people like them, the better AMD will do later on through word of mouth.

Good for AMD but what's really the point if you don't look at direct sales as well (Dell, HP etc)? And even without looking at direct sales, AMD has taken 52% of sells, not of profit and not even of revenues. I'd rather have more profit then more sales anytime.

Back