Tomorrow I'll put my hands on my dad's new shiny PC!

Guden Oden

Legend
It's a phat lewt 3GHz P4 (prescott core) with 1GB DDR2, PCIe 16x graphics, 7.1 audio, 19" DVI LCD monitor etc. Only problem: PCIe graphics card is X300-based! :LOL: Still, it'll be cool to play simpler titles on in low res on it, stuff that's primarily CPU-limited like Dawn of War - even though I boycot that title these days. Or other RTSes for that matter, Homeworld 2 comes to mind.

I'm gonna get ATiTool first thing I do and o/c the hell out of that little X300! :LOL: I hope it's not 64-bit memory, that'd REALLY suck tho... I don't have that high a hope tho, it is a Dell after all. They often stick horrible graphics in a box with a fat CPU. Still, it will be a really nice rig to play with! :p

I was expecting a "SuperPlatinumEditionAMD512@87GHzwith7TBRAMandR930with95GBVRAM".
What a disappointment.
My mum is better than ur dad.

Ok, so your mum ownz my dad. But the flatscreen is still great, I'm really looking forward to checking that out. :D Besides, I'll have to GMail myself all my Winamp AVS presets so I can try 'em out on a PC with a fast CPU... I have to run 'em in a small window in double-pixel mode to get a decent framerate. :(

I'd be quite interested in what rates you get. I'm rather disappointed with my 2.6 GHz P4... don't really get passt 800x600 (if even that) with most AVS without it dropping to a choppy framerate. :cry:

I'd love to see some of those AVS on a CELL based workstation though... :devilish:

The gfx card doesn't really affect AVS performance, it's the CPU that renders all the graphics to system memory, then a blit operation is done into the screenbuffer. That hardly takes anything at all, even on a tiny gfx card like an X300 (comparatively speaking).

Guden Oden said:
*ahwoogaah* *ahwoogaah* ALERT ALERT! AMD fanb0y detected.
*alert alert, intel fanb0y detected*
OMG IT RUNS AT 3 GHZ, THATS WAY FASTER THAN AMD'S 2.6GHZ FX55- IT BLOWS IT AWAY AND FOR WAY LESS.
INTEL 4 LYFE
8) ;)

radeonic2 said:
*alert alert, intel fanb0y detected*
Jeez. Get a life, will ya. Your entire existance doesn't hinge on which brand CPU runs your program code, right? ......RIGHT? Ok, so it does. Too bad for you.

Personally I don't give a shit anymore. Either'll do fine with me, but you're obviously stuck in the kindergarten sandbox. Make a few mudcakes while you're down there, but don't eat 'em! :D

Sorry, I'm not getting into any pissing matches with anybody, you included. Calling P4s 'heaters' and such is a typical fanb0y tactic. As for me, I don't care, it's enough for me that it's fast. It's just a processor, not religion. Not worth getting into a fight over.

Heck, even religion isn't worth getting into a fight over...

Grow up, wouldja?

I think you are being a bit harsh on radeonic2 here. His first post seemed like an amusing throwaway comment to me. Perhaps if he'd included a smily you wouldn't have felt the need to attack him?

Go on - admit it - the Prescott chips do run very hot. ;)

If only Intel would bring their Dothan tech to the desktop at decent prices instead...

Mariner said:
Perhaps if he'd included a smily you wouldn't have felt the need to attack him?
It wasn't an ATTACK. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Hot, as compared to what? :D I honestly have no idea how hot the 3GHz prescotts run. I'd think Intel has managed to squeeze down the temps somewhat since the initial batches that gave the chip such an infamous reputation.

Anyway, I don't really give a damn how hot it runs as long as it's fast. I thought the obsession with chip temps was silly back when Intel fanb0ys lambasted the athlon for running hotter than the P3, and it's equally silly now.

Mariner said:
I think you are being a bit harsh on radeonic2 here. His first post seemed like an amusing throwaway comment to me. Perhaps if he'd included a smily you wouldn't have felt the need to attack him?

If only Intel would bring their Dothan tech to the desktop at decent prices instead...
QFT, dont get your panties in a bunch because your pop owns a failure of a product and I decided to capatilize on that, even though I was joking, but since it's well known that intel has flopped compared to amd's .09, you got all hot and bothered.
And around here, we outa care more about gaming performance, where the A64 blows the P4 out of the water.

Guden Oden said:
Sorry, I'm not getting into any pissing matches with anybody, you included. Calling P4s 'heaters' and such is a typical fanb0y tactic. As for me, I don't care, it's enough for me that it's fast. It's just a processor, not religion. Not worth getting into a fight over.

Heck, even religion isn't worth getting into a fight over...

Grow up, wouldja?

Oii!! I just pointed out the truth. Maybe you should grow up.

US

Unknown,
Like I said, I'm not interested in your silly childish posturing. You want to obsess in a fanish fashion over irrelevant details then go bother someone who gives a damn about such things. I don't, so stop pooping on my thread. And that goes for Radeonic too, I might add.

Thanks!

Yeah the Winamp/iTunes/WMP visualisation always really ticked me off, i mean how hard can it be to make some GPU dependant visiualisations? With the power of today's GPUs, we could have GORGEOUS things.
It seems GPUs are only really used in games or proprietary applications, and sit idle on a normal Windows session.

The system does seem like a nice system though. What speeds are the DDR2 Ram running at? 533?

I would change the X300 ASAP .. but that's just me.

7.1 Audio! Kewl .. Audigy4??

19" LCD should be very kewl. What make is it? .. oh Duh! .. most probably Dell. What's the Refresh rate though 8ms?

US

Back