Tomb Raider

Agreed.
And even if it does look worse than a 1000€ PC with everything maxed out: so what?
It's still miles away from the sub-par ps360 experience and the DE version is obviously made for people who are exclusively console gamers, not PC+console or exclusive PC gamers.

You don't need any where near a 1000€ PC to max the game out.

Watched a bit of a playthrough from the ps4 version and it looked good, atleast the forest part I saw. But yes, the body of Lara is too low poly, i mean even ps3 charactrs have smoother edges.

But still, if the actual game is good, I am feeling interested. I skipped it earlier, but I might catch up now. How is the actual game? Is it immersive, does one get lost into levelling up and crafting and upgrading and stuff? Is it tense, or fun or gripping?

does one get lost into levelling up and crafting and upgrading and stuff?

At first I tried to hunt everything, but it's not really required. Targets of opportunity IMO.

I did spend a lot of time looking for all the artefacts though. I was pretty sure on how I wanted to play the game as well, so I saved up points for the three weapons I would use the most (shotty/bow/pistol); you also have to progress through the story to find/unlock later upgrades. It's rather straight forward. No crafting.

Later in the game I just spent it on whatever.

Using skill points to unlock your execution variants is somewhat a waste of points in light of other character attributes.

The new model sure seems to matches her (young) age a little better, imho.

I don't agree at all, sire. I want native 1080p and that is what I meant.
I know... it's just that I think 720p-900p and crazy effects is the way to go.

It seems that most people on Beyond3D play using a magnifying glass.

On a side note, I am reconsidering the idea to buy the game after cancelling my pre-order, because of the 60 fps thingy. Bummer.

I am still on the fence, but I am so hyped about this game that I don't care. I am quite sure the Xbox One version is going to have some interesting features.

True but you console gamers don't have the same luxary as us PC gamers when it comes to effects, frame rate and resolution

Tomb Raider is really playable at 30fps so given the choice I would opt for increased IQ over double the frame rate.

No we have all the other luxury that we don't have when we are PC gamers. Imagine buying a PC and keeping that for 7 years without upgrading the hardware and still play the best games on the planet that won't see the light on the PC. Tell me, how does uncharted, Last of us, god of war bla bla bla run on your pc? How about that red dead redemption game, pretty sweet ehh?

I am and have been a PC gamer since forever, but I learned quickly that I would never ever get the best the world of games had to offer if I stayed exclusive with my PC. Since then I started to collect consoles, while spending to much on the many PCs that passed through my hand.

You are missing out to such a degree I pity you, and since you aren't really interested in consoles I wonder what your motivation is, since you post here. Everyone I know on these boards are more than aware of the difference and superiority of the pc platforms potential it's not news.

I bought a cheap steam key for my pc to see what all the fuss was about.. Better be 60hz on my 680 or someone is buying me the ps4 version... :)

What kind of a rig do you need to get the best settings on the PC version?

Can you get a better looking version of the game on a $500 PC?

On a $750 PC?

On a $1000 PC?

If this is some kind of cost comparison to the next gen consoles then since my PC was bought before the next gen consoles launched (or were even announced) then in relation to the current generation my PC was effectively free! Beat that ;)

I think we just need to stop all the childish "how does it perform at maximum" comparisons.

The PC version is a completely different beast to the DE. Clearly better in some ways, clearly worse in others. From what I've seen so far and ignoring the 3D option of the PC I'd probably say the DE takes the win but it's clearly not a like for like comparison and thus performance comparisons are meaningless.

@ -tkf- Yes it will average 60fps on a 680 if you turn off certain settings that a completely lacking from the DE edition like Tessellation. But you'll never achieve a like for like comparison so whats the point in trying. All you can really be sure of is if an exact port of the DE were released on the PC, the 680 would blitz it at well beyond 60fps.

You are missing out to such a degree I pity you

Unless you own every console and a PC you're always going to miss out on exclusives. Here's the kicker though, it doesn't matter. If you've got enough great games to play on your platform of choice then it doesn't matter a jot if you don't get to play [insert platform specific exclusive here] just because some guy on a forum tells you you're missing out.

If almighty really wanted to play those games you listed I'm sure he'd just go and buy a console. Since he hasn't we can conclude that he doesn't really care about those games regardless of how great they are.

Personally back in 2006 I really wanted to play Gears of War and Dead or Alive 3 so I bought a 360. I've not really felt the need to the same so far this generation. If I do I might pick up a console but for now I've a list of PC games as long as my arm that I still need to get through. If I start losing sleep about not getting to play the last of us though I promise I'll buy a PS3 ;)

No we have all the other luxury that we don't have when we are PC gamers. Imagine buying a PC and keeping that for 7 years without upgrading the hardware and still play the best games on the planet that won't see the light on the PC. Tell me, how does uncharted, Last of us, god of war bla bla bla run on your pc? How about that red dead redemption game, pretty sweet ehh?

Can't think of a single game that doesn't run on an 8800 GTX in some form or another..

And tell me, how much do I care about Uncharted, TLOU and RDR? Answer, Nothing.

It'll be funny seeing how you console boys go around touting exclusives as they'll be a lot less of them this time around.

PC like architecture and high production costs will lead to many many more games getting a PC release... I.E Superior version.

And as for keeping the same hardware for 7 years? With how far behind consoles are this time around you could probably get away with keeping PC hardware for 7 years now as it's so far ahead.

I bought a cheap steam key for my pc to see what all the fuss was about.. Better be 60hz on my 680 or someone is buying me the ps4 version... :)

Don't forget to apply the pc/console double standard. Meaning that pc must be 60fps 100% of the time otherwise it's crap and/or juddery and/or not smooth and/or bloated and/or unplayable. Meanwhile for console having frame rates anywhere between 31fps and 60fps means it's a genuine certified smooth 60fps game. Here I'll simplify with an example below:

my 670 OC on desktop only pull at 40-50 fps avg in benchmark with tressfex on.

Perfect example. 40-50fps average on the pc version means it's unplayable and represents everything that is wrong with pc gaming and all it's bloat. Of course 40-50fps average on the console version means it's a totally smooth and playable 60fps game.

my 670 OC on desktop only pull at 40-50 fps avg in benchmark with tressfex on.

My 670 OC gets 54fps average at "ultimate" settings in the benchmark.

PS4 settings in game play appear to average about 51fps according to DF.

But again, not the same game, so not a valid comparison.

Don't forget to apply the pc/console double standard. Meaning that pc must be 60fps 100% of the time otherwise it's crap and/or juddery and/or not smooth and/or bloated and/or unplayable. Meanwhile for console having frame rates anywhere between 31fps and 60fps means it's a genuine certified smooth 60fps game. Here I'll simplify with an example below:

Perfect example. 40-50fps average on the pc version means it's unplayable and represents everything that is wrong with pc gaming and all it's bloat. Of course 40-50fps average on the console version means it's a totally smooth and playable 60fps game.

actually I am trying to argue that 57 fps avg with a 670M claim, unless tresssfx is not on. And what I am getting is only in benchmark, real gameplay dips much lower with tressfx and the frame rate fluctuate much more down to sub 30 fps. So tressfx pretty much has to be off all the time.

But again, not the same game, so not a valid comparison.

It doesn't matter, the correct way to make comparisons is to enable every visual feature possible on the pc version and deem it's frame rate bad if it's not 60fps 100% of the time. For the console version you discount any pc visual features not offered as being not needed and/or invalid and/or irrelevant, and if you can hit frame rates anywhere between 31fps and 60fps then you are a genuine 60fps console game. That's the correct and approved forum way to make comparisons between versions. I understand it now, it doesn't matter if you are playing at 40fps most of the time, it's still considered a 60fps game on console. Maybe Tomb Raider will prove me wrong, but I've always been very cynical of "60fps console game" having played many and seeing very few that actually are.

actually I am trying to argue that 57 fps avg with a 670M claim, unless tresssfx is not on. And what I am getting is only in benchmark, real gameplay dips much lower with tressfx and the frame rate fluctuate much more down to sub 30 fps. So tressfx pretty much has to be off all the time.

Yeah I just wanted to your use fps numbers to explain how they mean it's actually a 30fps pc game, whereas it would be considered a 60fps console game. I've learned the way fps is rated is very different on both platforms where one platform must hit 60fps 100% of the time for it to be considered valid, whereas the other just has to touch 60fps on occasion for it to be considered valid.

It doesn't matter, the correct way to make comparisons is to enable every visual feature possible on the pc version and deem it's frame rate bad if it's not 60fps 100% of the time. For the console version you discount any pc visual features not offered as being not needed and/or invalid and/or irrelevant, and if you can hit frame rates anywhere between 31fps and 60fps then you are a genuine 60fps console game. That's the correct and approved forum way to make comparisons between versions. I understand it now, it doesn't matter if you are playing at 40fps most of the time, it's still considered a 60fps game on console. Maybe Tomb Raider will prove me wrong, but I've always been very cynical of "60fps console game" having played many and seeing very few that actually are.

Yeah I just wanted to your use fps numbers to explain how they mean it's actually a 30fps pc game, whereas it would be considered a 60fps console game. I've learned the way fps is rated is very different on both platforms.

has been that way since PS2 era, games like Jak 2 and 3, GOW 1 and 2 etc. fluidity is the key, there are games on PC I play that runs at 100+ fps then it stutter like shit, thats basically no good to me. The new call of Juarez is one of them, such an awesome game but ruins by the random stutter.

Back