To kill a dog...

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Damn it, this is a little too much for one week for me!

I'm sitting here killing a few minutes whilst my wife showers so we can take my puppy Beanie to the vet to have her put down. She's about 11 years old, but has been obscenely overweight for years and she's having a lot of trouble getting around and is in some pain. :(

We were going to do it a few months ago, but we got Rudy and didn't want Beanie to go out thinking she was being replaced. (Mebbe that was stupid, but it's how I think/feel. :oops: )

Anyways, I just got done with an hour long discussion with the wife over it and we're both in agreement and going to do it....I just don't want to even though I know I should. :?

I'm gonna go get the seats out of the mini-van, it's the only way she'll fit in it...

That's horrible! I've been there myself, when my 14 year old Collie couldn't walk anymore. Little advise: don't leave your friend until it's all over, it'll be much easier for her, and that's what counts.

Sorry to hear that Dig, i cried my eyes out for days when i had to put my 22yo cat down. I was 20 at the time, that made the cat older than me.

Having 2 dogs i can feel your pain but same time i ll would like to kick your ass as you let your dog getting so fat :(
I have a 17 years old Epagneul Breton and he weights still 16 kgs as I take care of what he eats each day..

HA! And the story takes a surprise twist and a happier ending than planned! :D

I agree with you Patrick, I am ashamed that I let her get the way she is. It happened shortly after her sister died, she got inactive and ate a lot. I was grieving pretty hard for her sis and made up for it by spoiling her.

On a happy note, she has nasty arthritis is why she's been innactive. We got some arthritis & pain killing meds for her as well as some weight reduction food and once the pain is gone she can get more exercise and lose some weight.

She's not dead, she was in pain but it will be gone; and she should have some good years ahead of her. 8)

Great :)

If I can give you and advice and make save you a lot of money, just ignore special foods and use a balance to give her everyday the same weight of regular dog food. And no extras !!! :)

I am always fighting with my wife when she wants to give extra food to our dogs because they are so cute when they ask you know :devilish:

PatrickL said:
Great :)

If I can give you and advice and make save you a lot of money, just ignore special foods and use a balance to give her everyday the same weight of regular dog food. And no extras !!! :)

I am always fighting with my wife when she wants to give extra food to our dogs because they are so cute when they ask you know :devilish:

Just tell her, if u want to give the dog more food, u're gonna have to give me more sex.

I'm going to be hardline with only giving her the special diet food, although she'll still get milk bones too. The big thing is no more table scraps for her.

That'll be hard, but it'll be a whole lot easier than killing her. Me and my wife are both just glad as hell that she's back home not dead. :)

It's always sad when you have to part from a long time pet, that's basically a family member.
I haven't had pets since I was a kid, but we had a cat for about 10 years then, and I did cry when it died (I was less than 15 then), after that I had a pet crow that died before it learned to fly, that was sad too. Then I had a pet hedgehog, but it ran away after few hours (that wasn't sad). Then we had a dog, and after that another cat, but I didn't care much for them, they were more my sisters' pets. I don't remember what happened to them.
I don't think I'll be taking a pet anymore, ever. First I've become allergic to cats and dogs, second I've become too lazy to take care of an animal.

Edit: Oh, the dog's not dead after all. Good :)

digitalwanderer said:
I'm going to be hardline with only giving her the special diet food, although she'll still get milk bones too. The big thing is no more table scraps for her.
Milk bones are incredibly high in calories. Each one has enough calories for a whole meal (of course it depends on the size of the Milk Bone and dog). We used to give our dog half a small Milk Bone.

OpenGL guy said:
Milk bones are incredibly high in calories. Each one has enough calories for a whole meal (of course it depends on the size of the Milk Bone and dog). We used to give our dog half a small Milk Bone.
Really? I had no idea! The vet did try and push some super-low cal/super-high fiber milk bones on us, but I thought he was going for an extra sale. ($10us for a little box of milk bones?!?! :oops: )

Thanks for the info OGLG, milk bones are now off her diet too. :)

She gave me the stink eye tonight for not giving her all the left-over dinners, but I'm going to stick to this and force her to stay on her diet.

Back