Time Travel 2 -going BACK in time!

Silent_One

Newcomer
Ah......for all those in the other post who said time teavel to the past cant happen..... ;)

Gravity doughnut promises time machine
Movement into the past gets one step less improbable.
http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050711/full/050711-4.html
One of the major difficulties of travelling backwards in time has just been solved, according to an Israeli theoretical physicist. And the solution, he says, is doughnut-shaped......<sinp>.....This is where Amos Ori from Technion, the Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa, comes in. He says that according to Einstein's theories, space can be twisted enough to create a local gravity field that looks like a doughnut of some arbitrary size. The gravitational field lines circle around the outside of this doughnut, so that space and time are both tightly curved back on themselves......Ori says the mathematics reveal that every period of time between when the doughnut was created and the present moment would be somewhere in the vacuum inside the doughnut. All you need to do is work out how to get there.

In theory, it should be possible to travel back to any point in time after the time machine was built, reports Ori in Physical Review Letters1.
So build the machine and 10 years later travel back 10 years. Cool.... 8)

So if I decide to try and build this and prove it to myself at the moment that I try to build this machine by deciding in the future that I will prove this is real by going to the past and meeting up with myself at the moment I decide to pursue this machine......I should appearing any minute now....

*waits for himeself

*is waiting

*eats some cookies

*gives up on building the machine

*ALTERS THE FUTURE!!!!!

Actually I think you will simply find this is a worm hole. Because if you use a worm hole you've travelled fast then light and for some reason that means you've travelled backwards in time. ( I believe they say that because you would be able to see your self enter the worm hole as it would take a finite time for the light to travel to the wormhole exit )

BlueTsunami said:
So if I decide to try and build this and prove it to myself at the moment that I try to build this machine by deciding in the future that I will prove this is real by going to the past and meeting up with myself at the moment I decide to pursue this machine......I should appearing any minute now....

*waits for himeself

*is waiting

*eats some cookies

*gives up on building the machine

*ALTERS THE FUTURE!!!!!
You actually have to make the machine, not just think about making it.

Amos Ori said:
Ori agrees that energy fluctuations might be problematic, but thinks this is probably soluble. "Unfortunately it's not going to be in existence in our generation, or maybe ever," he says. Still, he puts the chances of ever being able to construct a time machine at 50:50.

50%? If it requires anything like the mass and speeds of a Tipler Cylinder then it's basically impossible.

[url=http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050711/full/050711-4.html[/url said:
]

Ori says the mathematics reveal that every period of time between when the doughnut was created and the present moment would be somewhere in the vacuum inside the doughnut.

For anyone who read my comments in the previous thread about the physical limitations on time travel, note that this proposal also falls into those limitations.

Back