Tight on Budget. CPU-MOBO como help.

considering an amd 64 running at 2ghz wouldnt be much faster if any than a p4 at 3ghz i doubt a 2ghz semperon is

Last edited by a moderator:
Low budget or not, I just can't justify recommending a single-core processor in this day and age. I've already demonstrated a system build given the OP's budget that includes a low-power X2 processor and 2GB RAM on a 780G board (previous post).

Low budget or not, I just can't justify recommending a single-core processor in this day and age. I've already demonstrated a system build given the OP's budget that includes a low-power X2 processor and 2GB RAM on a 780G board (previous post).

And that was an excellent suggestion too. I already said that though :)

Im going with ShaidarHaran recomendations and RudeCurve suggestion is my back up. >;)

Havent made the order yet because NewEgg wants same Billing and Shiping adress for the card. The problem is the bank has been too slow adding a second adress to the card, since im not in USA.

Thanks for taking the time to help :)

all right that was a bit of a useless chatter, I had first read the first post like "100 for cpu+mobo+ram" :p

Sorry to bring this up again :) If the same guys that already gave me a hand could do it again... the better.

I followed ShaidarHaran sugestion and ordered this board, AMD MSI K9A2GM-FIH AM2+/AM2 780G :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130166

Not from Newegg cause they didnt let me :( . Anyway....

Im confused regarding the CPU, check this 2 AMD 5000+ models from tigerdirect:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6 GHz Processor with 1024KB L2 Cache and 64-Watt Socket AM2

The price is U.S. Dollars 76.99

Product link:
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Dual-Core...00DSWOF/dp/tech-data/B000VTQ0Z4/ref=de_a_smtd

My first question is regarding the processor socket for this model. Socket AM2 (940)??? Socket 940 isnt that old??? and Does this fit in that MSI motherboard configuration?

Next we have this other 5000+ model:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2207283

link:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Processor ADA5000CSBOX - 2.60GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MT/s) FSB, Windsor, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket AM2, Processor with Fan

91.99 U.S. Dollars.

Why the price diference? From what i could understand the black edition is better for overclocking. So why is it less expensive? Of those 2, what is the best choice in my case? Or is there a better alternative to a 5000+ that is a few dollars more or less that i should buy.

Thanks again.

Refreshment -

Good choice on the mobo. Hope you like it.

As for the socket confusion, Socket AM2 has 940 pins but is not compatible with Socket 940 (earlier socket, discontinued). No worries about getting the wrong board or CPU though, Socket 940 was reserved for high-end FX chips and Opterons. You will be hard-pressed to find a Socket 940 CPU or motherboard for sale nowadays (new anyway).

The two CPUs you've listed are both AM2 CPUs and will work in your motherboard. Unfortunately, TigerDirect seems to not know what they're talking about, since they have conflicting information listed on that processor. The actual part listed there is identical to the one on Amazon, (ADO5000DOBOX - 2.6GHz Brisbane core X2), just priced higher. Some of the information TigerDirect has listed is for the older Windsor core (they even claim it is a Windsor core). The difference between the Windsor and Brisbane cores is that Windsor has twice the L2 cache (and it has lower latency), and is built on the 90nm process. Brisbane is a little slower at the same clockspeeds, but consumes a good deal less energy because it's built on the 65nm process.

At this point you may as well go with the Brisbane core. Should o/c higher and take up less energy/put out less heat. Stock performance will only be about 5% slower than Windsor at the same clockspeed.

Thanks for the fast answer :)

So in conclusion i should go with the one in the amazon link, that is birsbane?

It doesnt include the fan. A standar (and cheap) AMD fan will do the work, correct? I dont want to spend a ton on cooling. And im considering getting the fan here since ordering takes some time (and risk).

Finally in this price range and for this motherboard, is the 5000+ the best (or least bad choice) ?

Yes, buy from Amazon.

Right around 5000+ is your best bang for buck ratio in AMD land right now. You can get marginally more performance out of a 5600+ or better, but you'll spend a disproportionate amount more for that extra performance.

As for cooling, a nice Arctic Cooling compact HSF such as this one will do the job nice and cheap.

Edit: one thing I failed to note was the fact that Amazon is selling the Black edition 5000+ model at that price. Very nice. Definitely pick that up. Those things overclock very nicely without even touching the HTT clock (multiplier unlocked - equivalent to Intel Extreme Edition).

good to consider also is the 4850E (2.5GHz), it's the lower power variant (still a brisbane as all others). don't know if it's really different. but that black edition is a good deal

Back