Thunderbird Junkmail

mkillio

Regular
I was wondering if tehre is a way to get a list of all the addresses of junkmail and copy them so I can put them under my black list on my University account. This way I don't have to worry about ever even seeing them on Thunderbird.

Thunderbird doesn't use a blacklist as such, so you can't export it. You can, however, replicate the file that stores your custom training for the junk mail controls. It's called "training.dat" and resides your Thunderbird profile folder. Copy this from your home computer to your current profile on another TB installation to retain your previous training data.

Edit: Also check out Bayes Junk Tool .

Last edited by a moderator:
My College e-mail is webmail, andI have to enter the e-mail addresses by typing them in/copying and pasting one by one. I was hoping to be able to copy them all at one time and save my self hours of work

Ah. Then you can't. Thunderbird doesn't filter mail by address. There are huge lists out there containing known spam-domains, though, but as so much junk email these days fake most of the headers anyway this type of content filtering is very inefficient unless done on the server-, or even the ISP level.

Your university may be already be applying server-side content control, even if there are no explicit filtering done for your account. If so there are could be a custom header field inserted to the messages that you could use for client-side filtering. Ask your IT department.

Edit: If you're using Thunderbird at home to access the same account as you're using with the webmail interface I guess you could set up Thunderbird to purge messages from the server when you delete them from your inbox locally. Unless the server is IMAP this can prove impractical, though, if you wish to maintain consistency with the online access while still organizing mail in folders locally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaphod said:
Edit: If you're using Thunderbird at home to access the same account as you're using with the webmail interface I guess you could set up Thunderbird to purge messages from the server when you delete them from your inbox locally. Unless the server is IMAP this can prove impractical, though, if you wish to maintain consistency with the online access while still organizing mail in folders locally.
I've been doing this for years with my university account on a POP server. Why would it be impractical without IMAP?

Chalnoth said:
I've been doing this for years with my university account on a POP server. Why would it be impractical without IMAP?
So have I. IMAP just makes it much easier to maintain concistency. Make a new folder locally, and the same folder show up everywhere you access that account. Move some mail; the same on the server. Not having to worry about moving a mail from Bob to the 'mail from Bob-folder' only to realize that you needed access to it two days later while on travel and it's no longer on the server. Not having to vade through 10^n message headers in the inbox trying to get the one I need when using my cellphone...

Zaphod said:
So have I. IMAP just makes it much easier to maintain concistency. Make a new folder locally, and the same folder show up everywhere you access that account. Move some mail; the same on the server. Not having to worry about moving a mail from Bob to the 'mail from Bob-folder' only to realize that you needed access to it two days later while on travel and it's no longer on the server. Not having to vade through 10^n message headers in the inbox trying to get the one I need when using my cellphone...
Meh, I just use the excellent search function that Thunderbird has built in. Never saw a need for lots of local folders.

The reason I use the local folder for my trash is so I don't have to get online and purge all of my deleted e-mails.

mkillio said:
The reason I use the local folder for my trash is so I don't have to get online and purge all of my deleted e-mails.
Yeah, which is nice because Thunderbird has an option to delete from the server any e-mail which you remove from your inbox.

Back