Threshold on the new Trilinear Filtering.

bloodbob

Trollipop
Veteran
I'm pretty sure we can assume ATI is doing simple mixture of Bilinear Filtering and Trilinear filtering. Around the mipmap transition the Trilinear filte kicks in removing the obivous banding. Now let me quote
It's a very mild optimization at the default levels, so of the order of a few percent. But this is a neat algorithm - we encourage you to take the texture slider all the way towards "performance" - we don't think you'll be able to see any image change until the very end, and the performance increases are significant.

Since this is only set at a very mild setting exactly which setting will give the equilivant image quality to Old trilinear. Remeber the current setting actually looks better compared Old trilinear. So how much can we squeeze out of the cards without making it looks worse then 9700/9800.

bloodbob said:
I'm pretty sure we can assume ATI is doing simple mixture of Bilinear Filtering and Trilinear filtering. Around the mipmap transition the Trilinear filte kicks in removing the obivous banding. Now let me quote
It's a very mild optimization at the default levels, so of the order of a few percent. But this is a neat algorithm - we encourage you to take the texture slider all the way towards "performance" - we don't think you'll be able to see any image change until the very end, and the performance increases are significant.

Since this is only set at a very mild setting exactly which setting will give the equilivant image quality to Old trilinear. Remeber the current setting actually looks better compared Old trilinear. So how much can we squeeze out of the cards without making it looks worse then 9700/9800.

While full trilinear may offer the most filtering it may not always be the best image quality, so it's not necessarily a linear progression of performance for quality. It's possible what people perceive as the highest quality may actually run faster than the highest levels of filtering.

The possibility exists that you could move the slider down a notch in quality, actually find the image more appealing and gain performance. This may also vary from game to game.

AlphaWolf said:
While full trilinear may offer the most filtering it may not always be the best image quality, so it's not necessarily a linear progression of performance for quality. It's possible what people perceive as the highest quality may actually run faster than the highest levels of filtering.
Thats fine but I'm asking how far can we continue to lower the quality until we get the same percieved quality as full filitering.

Okay can handle that.

How far can we continue to lower the quality until we get the same percieved quality as full filitering in roughly 50% of cases. The other 50% we can set it back to the default.

bloodbob said:
AlphaWolf said:
Thats fine but I'm asking how far can we continue to lower the quality until we get the same percieved quality as full filitering.

Added a paragraph above that better explains the point I was getting at. :)

Back