thoughts on visuals vs motion in arcade games

darkblu

Veteran
this thread is about the significance of graphics vs. animation/physics in arcade games. actually make that visual presentation vs dynamics.

i know most of the readers of these boards are much after the visual aspect of games (some just like flashy graphics, others like good art or apt stylizations, etc) but maybe exactly because of that it may be interesting to discus that here. i myself am a graphician guy, and still i think visual presentation may come only secondary in the majority of game genres, and in paticular the arcades. why?

lately i've been playing games of yesteryears, mainly on my dc, but also on the gc and ps2. my all-times favourite genres are racing, fighting, gory platformers/survival horror and shooting scrollers - one could say that my tastes are rather arcady, but i do enjoy a good RPG now and then, and some other genres too. so while playing some oldies today i was thinking, 'what makes me come back to this game?' - nostalgia - hardly, i got into consoles at a fairly mature age (early 20s), nothing to cause happy recollections of childhood. presentation? -- if that was the case i'd be sitting in front of a new shiny 360 playing pgr3 now, instead i'm sitting here playing for hours le mans24 on my dc over vga, seeing each and every goddam aliased pixel of it, and not giving a damn about the point-sampled decals all over the screen or any other visual imperfection a trained eye picks within seconds. the presentation of the game is ok, though, i don't find it pacticulalry lacking. trying to compare that against the last time i played pgr3 over hdtv - although the latter had way less visual imperections, i realize the experience is hrm, virtually identical. why? - the dynamics, the motion in both games are very comparable - both have a particulalry arcady style of asphalt driving physics. yes, that's what keeps me playing that old game, while not giving me much incentive to move on to the visually latest and greatest.

case two: soul calibur. the original on my dc, again, over a VGA, compared to the latest of the series on my ps2, run over component on my 29" flat screen tv. for those who keep warm memories of the visual prowess of the original when played over vga - let me reassure you the latest version creams the floor with the orignal visually, regardless of any vis. definition advantages the latter may have over the better display output - just take the word of a graphics coder. and yet, it was the original that made me sit for hours like a child in front of one e3 booth in the distant y2k, while the 3rd installment, surely a fine fighter to its last bytes, is essentially 'more of the same' for me (although it was the reason that made me buy a pstwo). why? - possibly because the deteministic thing in this game for me is the dynamics in the form of mocap'ed armed combat. simply the best money can buy. the traditionally strong visuals of the series come just as the icing on the top of the cake. in this regard, as it seems my play time in the series will ultimately end up being (sorted in descending time): sc1, sc3, sc2. sc2 sits last due to a minor animation glitch in it that basically turned me off on it.

final case: gory platformers and survival horrors (allow me to put them together). playtime spent in the genre in descending order: metroid fusion, metroid zero mission, castlevania AOS, castlevania DS, resident evil4, metroid prime, god of war. notice anything special about the list? - yep, the leading 4 titles are totally 2d platformers. and let me tell you that of the listed titles the only two i have not re-played multiple times are MP and GOW. and no, i have not been constantly travelling during the last two years, if you get to say i spend too much time with handhelds (that i do, but i play exclusvely at home).

so, to conclude, no matter how fascinated i am of nice visuals, both as hobbist and professional, i think the single essential component that takes me back to gaming is game dynamics. i'd take a nice dynamics game with acceptable visuals any day of the week before a visually-stunning game with so-so dynamics.

how about you?

Action games, especially the fast and focused arcade types, are so playable because their development went into refining the action/response core of the experience rather than expanding the scope of options and content. Key qualities of their design are intuitiveness, pacing, challenge, and, as suspected, responsive control. Good animation and a steady framerate are important to delivering that responsiveness.

thanks Deepak, that is an interesting thread you got there. i am wondering if there is not a similar mechanism in the brain for visuals - i.e. once you tune up to a visual presentation, it actually becomes a background for the dynamics of the game. unless you come across some awe-inspiring view somewhere in the game.

Lazy, you're generally right, of course, but the question is to what degree the visual presentation affects your experience with arcade games. for myself, i find it that i am very tollerant to presentation flaws as long as those do not hamper my ability to respond to the game dynamics. for exmple, in a racer if the road presentation is inadequate so i can't see which direction the next turn before me is that'd be a presentation defficiency for me. in this regard, btw, DC's le mans24 is doing extremely well - a lot of effort and though have gone into making the road as realisticly-clear as possible, and i believe the price they paid for that was the weaker cars presentation. but as i already said, i totally support such trade-offs.

I think we have been spoilt by movie CGIs in past few years, and not to mention in game FMVs. We have set the bar so high that I wonder if we will wowed by anything unless it is of FF:TSW quality.

db, your experience suggests that gameplay takes over graphics beyond a point. Heck, I spend 2-3 hours daily with Unreal Tournament and I never get bored with it. Though I would like to try UT2k5 (or 4 is it?) if I had a decent graphics card. ;)

believe it or not, i found FF:TSW pretty unconvincing in therms of realism. exactly due to the overall poor quality of the character animations in the movie. so yes, maybe it's just me, but i find motions/dynamics on the screen to be the determining factor in terms of what my brain accepts as convincing versus what seems artificial. and i am not even talking of one-to-one mappig to real world behaviour - the on-screen dynamics can be fairly stylized and still convincing. ever seen the xiaoxiao flash cartoons?

I was talking about TSW visuals only and yeah the animation quality wasn't upto the mark, even MGS2:SoL has better animation.

The way our perception filters out the static elements of a visual presentation from the dynamic elements which have a state that's in change and demanding of reinterpretation by the brain/eyes more often also applies to the full spectrum of perceptual senses and thought. Even objects which are seen to be moving fade into the "background" if their movement is predictable and constant versus erratically moving objects. The consistent hum of a refrigerator or fan is easy to forget after a short time, and jadedness to a continuing sensation and even pain develops quickly.

Having that perceptual tolerance suddenly broken, by an amazing view in a game as mentioned which makes you take stock of the static detail or by catching yourself filtering any element of the environment such as the sound and sensation of your own breathing, can be jolting and even a little eerie in its self-awareness.

The kinetic gameplay of arcade-type titles definitely emphasizes the dynamic elements of their graphical presentation, playing a large role in how those graphics are perceived.

Back