Third blue laser diode producer

PiNkY

Regular
Sharp has just announced that its blue laser diode prodution facilities went online. Good news for all those waiting for a PS3/BluRay- or HDDVD-player I guess.

link

When I first read that title I thought it said third blue laser diode produced - I didn't realise production problems were that bad :)

Sharp is the second "merchant supplier", third supplier overall. What's interesting was back in July they weren't talking about being a merchant supplier rather just focussing on their own products. Althoug judging by most statments in the past month it doesn't look like they'll be devoting a large amount of capacity to suppliment Nichia.

Sharp to my knowledge is not going to be selling 150,000 Blu-Ray players a month and only one company at the moment can contemplate volumes in excess of that. Sharp's diodes might well be acquired by Sony. There is precendent, Sharp was a vendor of PSP size LCD screens for SCEI.

When I first read that title I thought it said third blue laser diode produced - I didn't realise production problems were that bad :)

:LOL:

Me too. I was like, "Damn I have 1 out of the 3 diodes in the world". Did the 2nd second of time went by and I laughed at myself.

whats funny is i never heard of a shortage of HD-DVD players while Sony was pointing the finger at the blue diode situation as a reason they couldn't deliver

whats funny is i never heard of a shortage of HD-DVD players while Sony was pointing the finger at the blue diode situation as a reason they couldn't deliver

How many HD-DVD players were sold up until this date? 300,000? Sony has to make at least 1,000,000 a month. That's the difference.

There's been shortages of the HDA1 (the only real player, prior to the 360 drive), from what I've heard. And, as Mckmas mentioned, the volumes and time frames are completely different. So, really, it's not that funny. =p

There's been shortages of the HDA1 (the only real player, prior to the 360 drive), from what I've heard. And, as Mckmas mentioned, the volumes and time frames are completely different. So, really, it's not that funny. =p

it just seems funny to me that i havent heard M$ having to deal with HD-DVD drive shortages, while Sony practically rode that horse hard, i can go out right now and buy a HD-DVD drive with the blue diode in it, but i can't find a PS3, or havent seen one anyways......but whatever.....

it just seems funny to me that i havent heard M$ having to deal with HD-DVD drive shortages, while Sony practically rode that horse hard, i can go out right now and buy a HD-DVD drive with the blue diode in it, but i can't find a PS3, or havent seen one anyways......but whatever.....

Dude again there's a big difference between making 1 million PS3s and demand being higher than that and having 100,000 HD-DVD drives with demand not as high as the PS3.

Make sense?

Dude again there's a big difference between making 1 million PS3s and demand being higher than that and having 100,000 HD-DVD drives with demand not as high as the PS3.
Besides, it's not like those things are are just sitting idle on store shelves around the world. Most places (Amazon US excepted it seems), they sell out as soon as they get in, and you'd almost be lucky do get one. I bet MS would have very much liked to be able to increase supply of the drive.

Hopefully this will lead to a ramp up in PS3 production! I'm currently attempting the trifecta to suppliment my new Mitsu 65" 1080p set. >=) I have a Wii already, just need a PS3 to close the deal.

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=194500229

EE Times:
Sharp enters blue-laser diode market

Yoshiko Hara
EE Times
(11/20/2006 10:16 AM EST)

TOKYO — Sharp Corp. has become the second merchant supplier of blue-laser diodes, following Nichia Corp. Sharp said it has already started supplying the diodes to an undisclosed client.

Nichia and Sony Corp. are producing blue-violet lasers in volume at present under a cross-licensing deal. For now, however, Sony's capacity is dedicated to internal use for production of the Playstation 3.

On the merchant market, Sharp's capacity will supplement Nichia's supply, which is estimated to be several hundred thousand units a month. Sharp has a startup capacity of 150,000 units a month and can expand that depending on the volume of orders, according to a spokesman.

Sharp said it has no plans at present to detail its technology at academic conferences, but it did say it believes its blue-laser diode does not infringe Nichia or Sony patents.

The Sharp diode emits at 406 nanometers with 20-milliwatt maximum power out for read-only applications, such as for Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD players. The diode achieves a 10,000-hour lifetime with continuous-wave operation at 5-mW power output. Power consumption is 168 mW.

Samples are available for about $85 apiece.

EETimes said:
Samples are available for about $85 apiece.
So much for an upper bound to blue laser diode cost. I guess we can revise a couple of BOMs now.
*stares at Merrill Lynch*

Did any PS3 BOM's included Blue Diode costs, or BRD drive costs only? How do Sharp's manufacturing methods compare with Nichia+Sony's, especially in costs (ie. Are their diodes cheaper? Though in a tight market like this, I expect them to charge as much as rivals even if they can produce them cheaper). How are the other BRD drive components priced? Specifically the motor(s) for head control which are very accurate.

Not that I have any numbers, but the other expensive thing in BR-Drives is the optical pickup (you need different lenses for reading dvds and br discs, hddvd is more elegant in this regard). I have a hard time believing that the motors are anything fancy. Even the cheapest harddrives have way higher information density on their platters and perform at significantly higher velocities (disc velcoity, head positioning and so on and so forth). AFAIK, DVD Roms and burners were quite a bit more expansive at the time of their release.

Back