There are no Microsoft rumors. There are only Microsoft leaks. - Pre-E3 2012 Edition

I'm not talking display size as in resolution or physical size, I'm talking about how the information is displayed to the user. Think of it as the pure text-based interface versus a graphical user interface. Here's the wiki entry on it if you care: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10-foot_user_interface

Yeah, the normal WinOS PC is not user-friendly at all and that's even with the keyboard and mouse. Now if you take the keyboard/mouse away it's even more of a cluster. With a user-friendly 10-foot display, the overall real-estate of what's displayed is greatly lowered thus requiring less control/preciseness.

or when saying Xbox Click Quote, it will show numbers on the quote button. (it have alt text as "reply with quote")

then say One, Two, etc.

atleast that what Windows 7 behavior when navigating windows explorer with many same names in folders or names or something. It give those same things a numbers

Will there be another hardware revision on the Xbox 360 this year? Maybe a super slim with internal PSU? They already combined the HANA chip with the southbridge last year and lowered the power consumption by 10W.

That's like asking "The PS3 still doesn't have cross-game voice chat? Are you guys freaking kidding me?" It's different priorities for different companies.

That's like asking "The PS3 still doesn't have cross-game voice chat? Are you guys freaking kidding me?" It's different priorities for different companies.

I was surprised that there isn't support for Bluetooth headsets on the 360, i had to buy one to find out (very low tech). It took Joker (and me) by surprise that he couldn't store mp3+pics+video on the internal hard drive.

What we take for granted on one platform is clearly not something we can expect from the other platforms, so don't act surprised if people are.. surprised :)

I have a mac mini that I use as a htpc with my 46 inch TV. I use the browser from time to time if I'm am troubleshooting or just want to go to web. But nothing I do makes reading text comfortable at 10-20 feet away. I just end up sitting within 2-3 feet of the display and using it like a large monitor.

A 10 foot display helps when you doing simple things like navigating through menus to get to your content. But using a browser which presents way more text and images doesn't seem to be a pleasant experience as my eyes and brain regardless of the size of the text doesn't like reading considerable amounts of text at abnormal distances.

It doesn't help that using a chair and a portable tray table with a 46 monitor is actually a more pleasing experience than your typical desktop setting in my personal opinion.

Using Kinect and IE9 on the 360 can be a powerful tool, but in terms of regular use I think most would prefer a desktop like setup with a mouse and a keyboard handy.

A browser is only a good idea if they do it right. Half assing a browser is pointless, there's simply no room for crappy software experiences in this biz anymore so they have to do the browser right. They do have a fully functional IE working on 1ghz arm phones with 512mb of ram, so I presume with the right effort they can get this all working on 3ghz ppc cores with 512mb on a 360 console, and use any present hdd as cache. We'll see I guess.

The biggest problem isn't the quality of the browsers on a console, it's the fact that websites are designed to look good on a monitor or tablet, not a tv 10 ft away.

And given the ubiquity of tablets, is there any point to a browser on a console other than for game specific sites tailored to the consoles? Like an online manual makes sense, and it can be designed with a simplified interface like a typical game UI. Browsing the net in general on console, buying stuff from amazon, listing stuff on eBay, etc., seems like a job the consoles no longer need to worry about.

The biggest problem isn't the quality of the browsers on a console, it's the fact that websites are designed to look good on a monitor or tablet, not a tv 10 ft away.

I do all of my browsing when I'm at home from 10ft+ away, most on a 42" plasma, some on a 60" DLP. It works fine, because Chrome (at least) allows for both easy page zooming and for that zoom to stick on subsequent visits to the page. I don't see why any reason a console web browser couldn't work equally well.

Firefox sticks the zoom as well, but I think for power type browsing it's just not ideal as you wind up giving up a lot of real estate. That said, I see people using their 4" phones as well, and that's clearly not ideal either.

I don't think the console browser becomes a just small niche if they do it properly. They could certainly add tech support type links, community forums and stuff right in games. Links to places like Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB.com would be pretty awesome when you've got Netflix fired up and you're looking for something to watch. Of course that won't happen over night.

Firefox sticks the zoom as well, but I think for power type browsing it's just not ideal as you wind up giving up a lot of real estate.

In my experience the level of zooming required to view a page comfortably @ 10ft on a 42" screen has minimal to no effect on page layout most of the time. The most frequent scenario where I find I have to re-adjust zoom to fit the full page is when large images are included in forum posts. It seems like web developers are still laying out web pages so they can be be properly viewed on relatively low resolution displays, say 1024 or 1280 pixels wide.

I've no problem browsing the web 10 ft away on my TV. It works about as well as my 1920 * 1080 monitor from a foot away. It's the same resolution, my eye sight is great, and well I am not disturbed by that resolution from that far away. There's absolutely no reason wireless keyboard and mouse cannot work for future consoles. Or hell, even the tablet for Wii U could be used to control the browser on the TV. Now if I were sitting 10 ft from my monitor then yeah I'd have a problem seeing things, but then again only a moron would do that. My TV is a 5 footer.

Browsing from my projector is horrible thoug, but I wonder if that's mainly due to the projector, or the size of area it is hitting.

I browse from approximately 3-3.5 meters away from my 55" TV. And it works just fine with IE. At that distance with a 55" TV (and my old eyesight which is getting worse with age) I just have to bump it up to 125%. With my old 46" TV at that same distance, I used the default 150% zoom, which was slightly too big, but I didn't want to fiddle with setting a smaller increment. But even at 150% most websites appeared just fine, if a bit large.

If my eyesight was as good as it was when I was younger, I probably wouldn't even need to enlarge it.

Regards,
SB

Back