The Witcher 3 : Wild Hunt ! [XO, PS4, NX, PS5, XBSX|S, PC]

78 FPS CPU limit on a 13900k is abysmal.

The game is obviously going balls to the wall on RT which likely has a massive CPU cost. Obviously coming from CB2077 devs we can assume it has some pretty crazy RT settings designed specifically for top end hardware only.

Personally I've no problem with this as long as the settings can scale down smoothly to more normal hardware (like Cyberpunk).

The DF analysis should be interesting, especially the console matched settings.

The game is obviously going balls to the wall on RT which likely has a massive CPU cost. Obviously coming from CB2077 devs we can assume it has some pretty crazy RT settings designed specifically for top end hardware only.

Personally I've no problem with this as long as the settings can scale down smoothly to more normal hardware (like Cyberpunk).

The DF analysis should be interesting, especially the console matched settings.
CPU utilization is very low though. This doesn't seem to be a case of expensive RT but rather a poor implementation. Probably wasn't a great fit with the old iteration of Red Engine which was designed around DX11.

The game is very demanding but with the new asset with RT on Ultra +, this is gorgeous

thewitcher314_12_2022iaecn.png

EDIT: loading are great on PS5 and I suppose Xbox Series X too.

Fast travel is insane, It takes 3 seconds. Death loading takes 5-6 seconds.

Yeah, the dx12 renderer is weird. Big single thread bottleneck, and a lot of stutters. Honestly the experience is not good imo. Even the dx12 renderer without RT is not as smooth as the dx11 renderer for me.

I wonder if I can try DXVK over all this...

Yeah, the dx12 renderer is weird. Big single thread bottleneck, and a lot of stutters. Honestly the experience is not good imo. Even the dx12 renderer without RT is not as smooth as the dx11 renderer for me.

I wonder if I can try DXVK over all this...
Can you play with DX11 and the previous settings/performance? Or has the update changed performance profiling for all settings?

Can you play with DX11 and the previous settings/performance? Or has the update changed performance profiling for all settings?

The settings are in separate files, so you have to set up the same settings for each renderer (of course dx11 doesn't have things like rt).

Now, good news is the setting files are deep, so maybe we can extract more performances. I'll see.

BTW, the photo mode is not working for me ? I don't see any menu for it, and the shortcut/binding does nothing when I press it.

They're not shader stutters. Who knows what they are. Traversal stutters ? Its an extremely poor performing game with or without RT. Even if i set all the general options at high and only use RTGI, plus DLSS Q plus only 1440p you're constantly droping bellow 60. And when you spend years on a 165 hz monitor, 60 frames feels like your computer is broken.

The patches are no joke. In the UK, they are 40Gb on PS4 and PS5, and 53Gb on Xbox Series X. I've not initiated the Steam update yet.

Wonder how it would perform with SMT disabled on XS with the higher clocks.
Be interesting seeing @Dictator PC analysis to see how many threads it actually makes good use of.

Also saw that XSS performance mode doesn't seem to use DRS which would be strange.

Needs something like Nanite foliage BADLY. That scene looks sooo incredibly bad with those cardboard trees.

Man, I think UE5 has spoiled me and all other games are going to just look bad until other games and engines employ something like Nanite. Pre-UE5 Nanite foliage that would have looked great to me. Now, I can't help seeing how bad those trees look. :p

Ouch that blurry ass floor hurts my eyes. Literally, as I'm getting a headache looking at it. Why is it so bad with RTX on? The lighting is quite obviously better, but why do the assets take such a large hit? Yuck. That would be unplayable for me just due to eye strain and pain.

Regards,
SB

Back