The psychology of benchmarking

I dunno. I thought I'd like the article, but it was wishy-washy at best and when the guy implied Kyle was a hero for revealing cheats I kind of wrote it all off. (That and the article just seemed to imply to me that ATi was cheating at the same levels as nVidia, which I strongly disagree with.)

The guy is 50 years behind in trying to explain opinion forming or opinion changes in strictly behaviorist terms. Pavlov's drooling dogs really don't have much to offer regarding this subject.

Yes they do, smoothing Pavlov's dogs' drool over the screen is going to be Nvidia's next attempt at texture filitering. It's a valid 3D optimization, just ask Derek and Brian.

I wasn't very impressed, as I don't think it provided anything particularly new or meaningful--but I'm not a regular reader of that site, so perhaps the essay was of more use to their readers, assuming they're not as involved as B3Ders in 3D happenings. My shortlist of obvious grievances? For one, I wasn't aware Pavlov's experiment involved desensitization, only conditioning. For two, I'm not sure why the author spent so much time saying it takes time for us to become so accustomed to known benchmarks so as to accept them unquestioningly, but it takes one false step for him to lose trust in 3DM03. For three, it's sleight of hand, not slight. ;)

Maybe sometimes it just takes a single instance, seemingly insignificant on its own, to serve as an impetus for change.

Perhaps a better example would have been the folklore regarding a frog put into a slowly heated pot of water.

However, something tells me that it is a rare frog that somehow misses that things have gotten a bit too warm.

Back