The Power of 3?

Maintank said:
Multithreaded drivers?

2CPU + 1 GPU

That doesn't deserve a countdown IMO. A single GTX is still heavily GPU bottlenecked in modern titles. Any added boost from the second CPU is only really going to benefit SLI setups in which case it would be the power of FOUR!

Rys said:
Shader Model 3.0, SLI, FP blending and filtering (under the leaky umbrella of 'HDR'). Three things that NVIDIA have that ATI don't.

What do I win?

Well, you should know. So i guess you win a new shiny e-pen0r. :D

It's not new hardware. Only one person in this thread has had the correct answer.

I'm with Baron. I don't think we'll see midrange cards for a while yet.

Edit: I--damn! :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
nVidia will announce the new joint-venture with Gillete for a GeForce Mach 3 video card? I can imagine it now: "Razor-sharp pixels!", "Smooth framerate!", "No after purchase remorse!"

Thanks, I'll be here all week. :|

ChrisRay said:
It's not new hardware. Only one person in this thread has had the correct answer.

Well since two people said it's SLI/HDR/SM3.0 then it has to be 2CPU+GPU!!! Right?

Or is it Mordenkainen's 3-display guess (that would really suck)

Gibbo from OcUK chimed in with some info here.

Apparently OcUK have already received stock of the 7800GT from BFG, Leadtek and XFX for launch on August 11, 2005.

trinibwoy said:
Well since two people said it's SLI/HDR/SM3.0 then it has to be 2CPU+GPU!!! Right?

Or is it Mordenkainen's 3-display guess (that would really suck)

That or I cant count. ;) Which is entirely possible. *sigh*

My guess for the Power of 3 is that it's "The power of Shadermodel 3.0".

They'll release the 7800GT and some new demo/program that supposedly shows off the power of the GF7 cards when using SM3.0. And you don't wanna buy an old graphics card *cough* ATi X8x0 *cough* or else you can't play it. So it's probably just nV rubbing in ATi's face that they don't have an SM3.0 card out in retail yet.

As the Charmed ones would say: The power of three will set us free.

Maybe they'll have Nalu, Luna and Dawn/Dusk in one SM3.0 demo. :D

Perhaps some way of driving 3 monitors off one videocard? I know it's already been posted, but it would be nice to have something similar to Matrox's 3-monitor support (not in games though).

I'd personally prefer to be able to use my 2 monitors in SLI though.

Someone on Rage3D had an interesting idea.

What if the Power of 3 is the ability to use AA with HDR in SM3? That would be nice for Far Cry and Splinter Cell. Improbable, but would be very attractive.
________
Cheap pellet pen holds 177 cal pellets

SsP45 said:
Perhaps some way of driving 3 monitors off one videocard? I know it's already been posted, but it would be nice to have something similar to Matrox's 3-monitor support (not in games though).

I'd personally prefer to be able to use my 2 monitors in SLI though.

Someone on Rage3D had an interesting idea.

What if the Power of 3 is the ability to use AA with HDR in SM3? That would be nice for Far Cry and Splinter Cell. Improbable, but would be very attractive.

however the ADD makes no sense when its linked to this. What does "not using aging graphics" have to do with 3 monitors. An extremely small number of people use 2 monitors off one card, let alone having support for 3, this isnt going to make anything obsolete.

Maybe it's the new dual bridged core logic (C51) with integrated 6200TC and some nifty HD on-board sound (SS-2 ?!).

Back