The perverts of the entertainment industry

This is in reference to HDCP. Any monitor that does not support it, ie. almost all of todays monitors, will not display or display HD content at highly reduced resolutions. Funny thing about this is there is already hardware available that can not only get around this limitation but can also re-record the media DRM free.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Will regular people accept DRM?
Yes, simply because they will have little choice. There may be ways around it in the future but most will probably be too technical or expensive for the 'average' user.

I wouldn't be so sure. People will accept DRM if it's unintrusive and doesn't stop them doing the things they do now that they think they have a right to do with stuff they've paid money for.

The moment their DRMd system refuses to play a CD, DVD, or rip something to their iPod, it'll be out with the pitch-forks and off to the town square to lynch some of the local MS execs.

I know one or two people who've already fallen foul of "copy protection" on music CDs that means they can't be played in computer CD drives. One of them hasn't bought a CD since. Own goal for the music industry? I think so.

People do have a choice, because unlike food, air and water, Brittney Spears' warblings and Leonardo di Caprio's panting and pouting aren't essential to life.

If DRM gets a reputation for being a PITA, there'll be a big marketing incentive for companies to sell devices that don't have DRM. Kind of like region-free DVD players are now marketed openly, even though the MPAA etc. would have you believe that this goes directly against each and every one of the Ten Commandments.

nutball said:
Kind of like region-free DVD players are now marketed openly, even though the MPAA etc. would have you believe that this goes directly against each and every one of the Ten Commandments.
I laughed my ass off, and it's funny because it's true :D

nutball said:
I wouldn't be so sure. People will accept DRM if it's unintrusive and doesn't stop them doing the things they do now that they think they have a right to do with stuff they've paid money for.

The moment their DRMd system refuses to play a CD, DVD, or rip something to their iPod, it'll be out with the pitch-forks and off to the town square to lynch some of the local MS execs.

yap. as long as people can use their computers as they are used too, then it wont be problem, but from all we hear it looks like _MOST_ people will have to change the way of how they use their computer and then shit might hit the fan.... cause most people dont visit tech forums to simply play DVD on their AIW card or something like that.....

when they wont be able to do that... then they will start voting with they wallets....

nutball said:
People will accept DRM if it's unintrusive and doesn't stop them doing the things they do now that they think they have a right to do with stuff they've paid money for.
I would say I on one hand don't mind copy protection that stays out of my way, but on the other hand, it's hard to imagine copy protection that DOES stay out of the way because then it wouldn't be copy protection.

If it tries to mess with me ripping a CD for example, or making local copies of downloaded content, there I am, standing ready with the torch and the pitchfork. I don't mind the encryption on DVDs because I'm not trying to transcode them to something else because I prefer watching my movies at maximum quality, and I don't need to put them on a portable movie player because I don't own one and I don't want/need one. But CDs I buy I rip to my harddrive because who wants to change CDs all the time, and besides, I don't own a non-computerized CD player anyway.

It's unwise of media companies to treat their own customers as thieves and robbers, it's counterproductive to keeping said people as customers. I'm sure nobody puts handcuffs on guests they invite to their home to prevent the guests from pilfering the silverware, but the media companies are doing exactly that. Very idiotic!

I wonder just how blurry this will be. Does it mean that it will play things at DVD quality that are higher quality, or that it will be 640x480? Anyway I won't be bothering to get vista/longhorn even if I can get it for $5 if I can no longer watch DVDs on a PC. Currently i use a PC for an entertainment system, with no DVD player so it would be quite annoying to get shafted by them.

Most people might not notice HDCP...

They'll put in their new HD-DVD, play it, and it will display in 480P...and they'll think that's as good as it gets.

On a tangential note, I rented some crappy DVD but I could not play it due to copy protection. Thus I had to go to afterdawn and get dvd decrypter to decrypt it and play the ISO. It seems a tad silly to me that I was forced to do this simply to view a movie. In other words they made me learn how to copy a DVD to view a movie with their wonderful copy protection. It seems that was counterproductive to me. The movie was one I have no desire to ever see again btw (Man of the house).

Back