The Official, Long Awaited, TV Shows Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by London-boy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Davros

Legend

I've just watched the first episode of Altered Carbon, very intriguing
    I have a theory about the investigation
    The rich guy get his consciousness backed up every hour
    I think he was shot not to kill him but because he discovered something
    and someone shot him to lose his recent memory
    am I on the right track?

BRiT likes this.
  2. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Not really :) That's the obvious path but its a tad more complicated.

3. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

I'd answer, but that would take the fun out of watching it.

digitalwanderer likes this.
  4. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Anyone checked out the new season of Counterpart yet? I have the first three episodes so I can at least now do a mini-binge. ( I like doing them in batches )

5. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Well also quite funny. It feels more like Buffy now than most anything else.

I’ve watched so many shows and now I think I’ve run out of stuff to watch.

London-boy and digitalwanderer like this.
  6. wco81

Legend

Been watching them but seems much more slow-going than the first season.

You hope they're setting things up for some big bangs to come ...

The first episode showed characters and names that I couldn't place. I guess I should have rewatched season 1 or something.

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

Thanks, I was afraid of that 'specially since I seem to remember it getting a bit confusing during the end of last season. Think I'll rewatch the first season and just keep collecting the second so I can just watch them in a sitting and skip over anything too slow. ;)

Thank you again!

8. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Even slower than the first season? Not sure if ill watch season 2. Didn't think 1 was that great either.

Current watching altered carbon which is really awesome. About halfway through the first season now.

BRiT likes this.
  9. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

Counterpart is awesome, JK Simmons did a fantastic job in season 1. I'm on season 2 immediately.

Altered Carbon was cool, but ultimately "not good". They made nonsense changes to the book.

10. Svensk Viking

Regular

I thought the new Watership Down mini series was good.
    I also watched season 2 and then season 1 of Channel Zero, found it by chance and was positively surprised.

pharma likes this.
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Whaaaaaat?

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

pharma likes this.
  13. eloyc

Veteran Regular

Siren. Ok, not great, but quite entertaining (hey, I love mermaids!).

14. Babel-17

Regular

Any Counterpart fans who also read Laumer's Worlds of the Imperium?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worlds_of_the_Imperium

There was a plot twist in it that I thought might have gotten a tip of the hat in Counterpart. There can be a nasty downside when you go to impersonate your counterpart, and you don't quite match up, physically. ;)

There was another SF novel I read who's title I can't recall but it had some significant similarities to Counterpart. The USA in two different time lines communicates, and they find that there's obvious advantages, and less obvious pitfalls. You can share where you found oil but the other USA hasn't yet, but it can be awkward as hell when your counterpart got caught out as a double agent for the Russians.

The alternate USA was reactionary, and behind the CCCP in technology. What harm could it do to help them? ;)

Edit: You can read the first nine chapter at Baen Books*, and I see it has a nice preface by Harry Turtledove. https://www.baen.com/Chapters/0743499034/0743499034___1.htm

#834 Babel-17, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  15. digitalwanderer

Legend

Tief-Tief!!!

I think I only read the Retief series, but I remember enjoying the hell out of it. Silly fun, but well written and fantastic ideas!

16. Babel-17

Regular

IIRC, Laumer was an Air Force Attache to an Embassy in South East Asia, so he had that to base his stories on. I loved the banter between Retief and Magnan. Ooh, I found a free/legal Retief story online! http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21782/21782-h/21782-h.htm

17. digitalwanderer

Legend

I was just a hopeless bookworm since about age 4-5 when I got jealous of my older sister because she had a Nancy Drew collection and kept talking about it, so I read it. My mom was impressed and continued to encourage me, and when I found science fiction it was all over. Read most of the classic age authors and quite a few contemporaries. There was a time I was going through 2-3 books a day, but I did at least a book a day for over 10-20 years. I was trying to figure out how many books I've read and just sort of gave up....after the first few thousand the term "a lot" just seems to cover it. :)

I love seeing "new" shows and movies using stories and ideas from the 50s-60s books I used to read. I think A.E. van Vogt has been more abused without credit than most, but also think there will be some seriously great things made around his writings. Also can't wait for Netflix or HBO to start with Zelazny's "The Nine Princes of Amber", gods that could be good if well done!

Sorry, Laumer made me remember my mad reading phase before computers were all cool. I cried when my old house's basement flooded, I lost sooo many paperbacks that I loved! Not fancy, and all well worn from multiple readings, but damn it they were pieces of my life and they were gone and just moldy. That's when I gave up on books and moved to strictly kindle-type stuff. (Actually I stopped reading so much as the forums took the place of that time for me and I thought it was a lot more fun being interactive and learning and such.)

Babel-17 likes this.
  18. Babel-17

Regular

19. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Watched Season 2 of The Sinner. It was alright. Nowhere near as good as season 1, though. Bill Pullman's mumblecore style of acting got a little old. Started watching "You". It's Dexter for people who like the concept of Dexter but are otherwise too thin-skinned to stomach how that show was executed.

#839 Sigfried1977, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  20. Dr Evil

Dr Evil Anas platyrhynchos
    Legend Veteran

I recently watched the first season of Star Trek Discovery. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Few nice twists in it haha and. I see the second season is starting in a week or so, so I had good timing on this. Now I'm watching the Orville. Has anyone seen this. It's a weird show. It has very much a Star Trek: Next Gen vibe to it with very different and sometimes over the top humour added to it. I am enjoying this as well. Planning to start the first season of Expanse soon. I don't know anything about it, other than people seem to like it in this thread.

digitalwanderer and London-boy like this.