The next Nintendo Switch: Switch Lite? SWITCHi? What do you think it will be improved upon?

I think Nintendo will need something in the sub $200 price range to eventually replace the 3DS. I think a smaller switch with non-detachable joycons that only plays in portable mode makes more sense than introducing a new handheld only platform.

I’d like to see something like:
Switch Portable $179 5” screen, no tv play, no detachable joycons
Switch $249 same as currently
Switch XL $329 8” screen and longer battery life

Yeah that would be nice. Wider market too.

But isn't some games exclusively need detached joycon?

I think Nintendo will need something in the sub $200 price range to eventually replace the 3DS. I think a smaller switch with non-detachable joycons that only plays in portable mode makes more sense than introducing a new handheld only platform.

I’d like to see something like:
Switch Portable $179 5” screen, no tv play, no detachable joycons
Switch $249 same as currently
Switch XL $329 8” screen and longer battery life

Except the dock, tv out, 1 inch smaller screen (probably makes games hard to play btw) and joycons cost nowhere near $130.

Makes more sense to gradually drop the price of the current SKU while adding improved SKUs above the base model.

Don't forget the 3ds launched at $250. If you add inflation etc the switch probably wasn't that much more expensive at launch.

3ds hardware and software sales are still pretty good, right? No need to kill off what is basically making Nintendo free money only to push a gimped switch. They got time, especially switch sales apparently are strong.

One of the Switch's selling points is its home/portable console functionality, so I don't think it would be beneficial to ditch the TV out. I agree for the most part though, especially with the matter of getting it as cheap as possible as quickly as possible.

The same internals, but manufactured in a newer node, would be fairly easy for a modest iteration - better battery life, a thinner device, or a bit of both. Would that maybe allow for the removal of the vent, or would the clockspeeds in docked mode still require it?

The screen's not particularly big, so maybe they could just maintain the current size but eliminate most of the bezel. That would help to make it pocketable and cut down on some material cost, but would it render it incompatible with existing JoyCons?

The XL would be excellent though, and I like the idea of mini, standard, and large.

One of the Switch's selling points is its home/portable console functionality, so I don't think it would be beneficial to ditch the TV out. I agree for the most part though, especially with the matter of getting it as cheap as possible as quickly as possible.

The same internals, but manufactured in a newer node, would be fairly easy for a modest iteration - better battery life, a thinner device, or a bit of both. Would that maybe allow for the removal of the vent, or would the clockspeeds in docked mode still require it?

The screen's not particularly big, so maybe they could just maintain the current size but eliminate most of the bezel. That would help to make it pocketable and cut down on some material cost, but would it render it incompatible with existing JoyCons?

The XL would be excellent though, and I like the idea of mini, standard, and large.

They don't need to Dutch the TV out. Just sell it as simple overpriced cable / breakout box accessory.

Yeah that would be nice. Wider market too.

But isn't some games exclusively need detached joycon?

I think as long as you could buy additional joycons and use them wirelessly you’d be ok. Just needs additional branding.

I think the above posters are right, keep the tv out, but don’t sell the dock in the mini version.

What mentioned above needs additional cables compared to current Switch model?

Maybe for their next SKU they'll just change the color of the joycons, offering a Pink and Purple combo. Or Yellow and Green?

Ask your gf/wife/mom which one she's okay with in the living room. A loose cable or a dock.

Nothing anybody said so far requires any more cables than the original Switch setup so what are you going on about? What did you imagine people to have said? People said to not bundle the dock to get the price down. Are you suggesting that there will be a loose cable used for recharging (because you have communicated exactly nothing of that at all in this discussion where people are not mind readers)?

As for how to recharge the device, most people I know already have a drawer or desk or some designated area outside of the living room used to recharge all the devices such as cell phones, tablets, eReaders, remotes, fitness monitors, sonic screwdrivers, etc.

I think he understood the new model would hook up to the tv with a cable but no dock.

In that situation... I figured they would move to wireless broadcast display tech like they used in WiiU; they would have simple HDMI dongle to use on the TVs that don't have the tech built in. No shown wires at all. *shrug*

In that situation... I figured they would move to wireless broadcast display tech like they used in WiiU; they would have simple HDMI dongle to use on the TVs that don't have the tech built in. No shown wires at all. *shrug*

The original post I think was about saving cost by leaving out the dock and relying on a loose cable laying around. Some kind of wireless display tech will only add cost.

Is wireless display license expensive? I mean the one using standard wifi. It works just fine for 720p.

Dedicated wireless displays component will add cost, so no

Battery life needs to near double

Larger screen in same factor (fill vertical axis with near edge to edge). OLED would be great but unlikely.

Bluetooth headphone comparability.

Everything else is niggles. Suggest:
Ship a 90 degree USB-C power cable so you can sensibly hold it while charging and fix the dock so it doesn’t scratch the screen.

Most of us here would like to see the performance improve, as well as battery life, especially since the SOC was already an old design by the time the Switch launched.

But Nintendo has never competed on performance.

If they can improve on the high bar they set with the Zelda and Mario games with the next iterations of those franchises, they will milk that for a couple more years.

Meanwhile, they will milk the current design to maximize profits. Plus there's an opportunity to cost reduce and cut the price to draw in more people. By Black Friday or the Christmas buying season, they can have promotions to sell at $250 or $225 and that would increase the installed base by tens of millions more by the end of the year.

For the B3D crowd, we'd see a Switch 2 (or whatever they'd call it) with a newer SOC, more battery, maybe better screen, no later than 2020. But remember, this is Nintendo. They were forced to bail on the Wii U early because of sales but they rode the Wii for a long time because it had great sales.

Heard that someone got Linux running on it, because of a security hole in the Tegra.

Probably won't happen but it would be nice if it accelerated updated hardware.

Back