The most satisfyingly difficult game you've ever played?

turrican? wasn't that difficult, i played the first and second complete out.
i'm talking about the original Amiga version to behonest.

aaaaah memories!

And I forgot...achieving ALL Golds for every driving tests on the original Gran Turismo on PS1! ...and never again! Though it did actually improve my realworld driving! :p

Simon F said:
Ahh! How could I have forgotten?

Solving the "no tea" problem in HHGTTG was immensely satisfying.
My love for you has gone up by leaps and bounds. ;) You could not even Plot it on Atomic Vectors!

Contra on NES with no guide/cheat, and have to play the game from beggining to the end.
3 lives to start
1 hit = death
No Save or passcode on each level!

Ahh the good ol days when you have the whole weekend to play.

hand of fate 2, iirc, by westwood. i've never been more frustrated by a quest in my whole career. up to a point that i had to get the walk-through to finish the game.

on the console front, ikaruga was pretty steep indeed. also pn03 on hard was well, hard. ecco was also considerably difficult and seriously frustrating at times.

..and that bloody sonic adventure's dr robotnic flying ship windy deck level - i still have nightmares about it.

I would hafta say Marble Madness ... 5 levels long and fifteen years in the beating for me. After that, balancing sheer dificulty with fun, Bubble Bobble all the way (Still holds the title of "Best Simultaneous Multiplayer Console Game" ... "Ever" in my book)

Phantasy Star II: What a pain in the ass it was...the last bits of it stretched on forever and plus it was darn near impossible to navigate unless you mapped out each of the stages. o_O

Ninja Gaiden NES: This one was a good challenge, stayed up many nights as a child trying to get through the stages. Was sad to see Ryu destroy his father in the end... (Not really, muwahaha!) :devilish:

Halo Legendary, Ninja Gaiden (toooo hard, but good), Splinter Cell (I suck, but it's really awesome when I manage to pass a level :p ), Otogi (getting the crazy sword after you release all the souls)

Simon,

We must be around the same age as I loved played all those games(Zorks,HHGTTG,etc). Couldn't have finished HHGTTG without the Invisi-Clues since I had never read the book. Other adventure games on the PC that was difficult for me(realize I was still just a kid) was Adventure on CP/M and King's Quest and Zyll on the PCjr. I still play Zyll once in awhile on my PCjr, but I think I have a Java version of it somewhere too.

But what about game consoles? I remember having a difficult time with Rygar and Gauntlet on the NES and Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX on Gameboy Color. But my all time favorite/satisfying was definitely Guardian Legend on the NES.

I'm purposely leaving out current-gen since without comparison to time I can't get give an honest answer. Ask me again in 5 years or so. ;)

Tommy McClain

my wavebird is permanently scared from playing metroid prime. i regret throwing it, but it felt appropriate at the time. and i loved it.

Back