The most satisfyingly difficult game you've ever played?

Li Mu Bai

Regular
For me there can be only one:

F-Zero GX

Unlocking all the chapters on hard & very-hard difficulties while simultaneously acheiving gold in most Gran Prix races on expert & master modes. (yes, this took many gameplay hours & no, I'm not a sadist either) This caused me to beat my dog quite viciously numerous times if he happened to be in the vicinity. As a result he learned very quickly to run when he saw, or heard the ominous soft clicking top of the GC close. Profanity laden tirades were always the norm, it reduced me to even screaming gibberish at times. Even furniture felt the fires of my then unquenchable wrath. Tinkering with what ship attributes would suit me best, & finally unlocking & mastering the beautiful AX tracks gave me a sense of deep satisfaction, accomplishment, & inner peace. Share yours B3D forummites.

Yeah it was basically a glorified collection of puzzles and board games, some of which were quite difficult, particularly the last mini-game which was a variation of reversi. Though the half-interactive maze level was already enough to drive most people crazy.

Never played Zork though - I kinda got disillusioned with text adventures when I tried playing them at a younger age, since my english at the time was nowhere near levels required by some of them.

Target Earth & Bionic Commando (at the dorm with everyone watching me go through the first time I played it). Those are the two that stand out for me.

I should have put emphasis on purely "console games" but list as you please. Although there are only 5 replies thus far, no mention yet of Ninja Gaiden, Ikaruga, or VJ? Odd.

I think it would have to be a game called Discworld, for me that would have to be the most difficult, head scratcher of a game ever created! For those who never played it, think Sam and Max, but with even more cryptic puzzles and activities to solve!

Having said that it is also one of the funniest games I've ever played too. ;)

System Shock 2, but the most difficult boss that i remember is in Metal Gear Solid: the infamous Psycho Mantis! :devilish: :devilish: :devilish:

Andy said:
I think it would have to be a game called Discworld, for me that would have to be the most difficult, head scratcher of a game ever created! For those who never played it, think Sam and Max, but with even more cryptic puzzles and activities to solve!

I found a couple of the puzzles in DW1 to be, well, more of the exhaustive "try everything with everything else" type. Other than those, it was quite good.

Better still was the opening sequence to DW2 which was hysterical.

If you enjoy the "graphical" adventure puzzle (which is really just a Zork with pictures) try Douglas Adams' "Starship Titanic" and, IIRC, "Return to Zork".

Fafalada said:
Yeah it was basically a glorified collection of puzzles and board games, some of which were quite difficult, particularly the last mini-game which was a variation of reversi. Though the half-interactive maze level was already enough to drive most people crazy.
Come to think of it, I think I might have written a program to help solve a couple of the puzzles in 7th Guest.

Ahh! How could I have forgotten?

Solving the "no tea" problem in HHGTTG was immensely satisfying.

Simon F said:
Andy said:

I found a couple of the puzzles in DW1 to be, well, more of the exhaustive "try everything with everything else" type. Other than those, it was quite good.

Better still was the opening sequence to DW2 which was hysterical.

If you enjoy the "graphical" adventure puzzle (which is really just a Zork with pictures) try Douglas Adams' "Starship Titanic" and, IIRC, "Return to Zork".

Thanks for the suggestions, I quite like puzzle games, been thinking about getting some of the monkey island and broken sword games as well.

R-Type on the Sega Master System. Unlike many games which are solved by finding the solution to a particular puzzle or finding the set of moves that are unstoppable, shoot'-em-ups are conquered through developing skills and honing one's own abilities. From getting killed on the first level, practise and more practise made me able to beat the game not only once, but twice through (kill the end of game boss the first time and you return to the first level to play through again), the game being much harder the second time round.

That was hand-eye coordination, quick reactions and coolness under fire par excellance, the Olypmic Gold of the gaming world!

O loved Full Throttle. It may not have been the most difficult of games, but I liked it so much I went out and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan. :)

Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Lords of Thunder, Turrican...
Actually there's a lot more than that, but I can't remember everything for now.
And I can't really choose only one out of thoses...

Back