The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a way Razor is correct; if you clock a G80 to say 630/900 you'll get a higher performance increase than with 575/1000.

Where exactly is the "significant" performance drop for AA, I have missed?

Check out the Rage3D review I linked a few posts earlier.

http://users.otenet.gr/~ailuros/AAPerf.pdf

If you read carefully through the text you might notice that the current performance drop for 8xMSAA is only a tad higher to what the G70 initially used to lose in FEAR with just 4xAA.

Yeah but the 4xAA hit is pretty significant even in your figures - unless I'm the only one who considers 30-40% as significant.

All I'm saying is that a 30% AA hit on G80 leaves a lot of room for R600 to shine given its bandwidth advantage.

In my opinion 1920x1200 is the battleground for single gpu high-end. 2560x1600 is for SLI vs CF, and 2048x1536 is only interesting as a data point to extrapolate with, not so much for actual high volume gaming use.

Yeah but the 4xAA hit is pretty significant even in your figures - unless I'm the only one who considers 30-40% as significant.
Except, if you note, the hit for 4xAA is almost identical to the hit for 2xAA. So I'm not sure that bandwidth is the real limitation here.

unless im mistaken mip mapping is the replacing of textures with lower res/blurred textures in the distance. when ur racing down a long straight road u can see the texture blurring.

Well notwithstanding the fact that full resolution textures would be aliasing all over the place and probably look worse than blurring - anisotropic filtering usually smoothes out mip-maps and make the textures in the distance look as they should.

Well notwithstanding the fact that full resolution textures would be aliasing all over the place and probably look worse than blurring - anisotropic filtering usually smoothes out mip-maps and make the textures in the distance look as they should.

either i havent played enough racing games to realize that 16x af doesnt render work far enough into the distance, or its a driver bug

Except, if you note, the hit for 4xAA is almost identical to the hit for 2xAA. So I'm not sure that bandwidth is the real limitation here.

Sigh, my head hurts. At this point I just want to see pretty graphs and go out and buy the card who's name is next to the longest bar :)

MIP mapping is not an optimization to improve performance, but rather to improve visual quality. It manages to improve performance too, just by the simple fact that it improves texture cache coherency. But any game that does not enable MIP mapping is going to have aliasing all over the place, and aliasing is infinitely more noticeable than blurring.

And besides, with anisotropic filtering enabled, the amount of blurring is quite minimal.

Why does Hexus bench Company of Heroes here with 0xAA, 0xAF? WTF is that?
And if you look at 2560x1600 it shows:

8800GTX 50.6 FPS
7900GTX 19 FPS
X1950XTX 21 FPS

If you look at Digit-lifes test here, you see with 4xAA, 16xAF you get;

8800GTX 33.4 FPS
7900GTX 17.5 FPS
X1950XTX 35 FPS

How the hell can the X1950XTX get only 21 FPS with 0xAA, 0xAF when the 7900GTX's score is roughly the same? Did Hexus sabotage the X1950XTX in this test?

Why didn't Hexus test CoH with AA and AF? They tested every other game in their review with it. Is it because the 8800GTX gets killed with AA and AF at that resolution? Is Hexus biased toward NVidia or what?

Did I miss something here or can anyone else see this too?

If the R600 even a little more than doubles its last X1950XTX then it should beat the 8800GTX pretty handily.

8800GTX 50.6 FPS
7900GTX 19 FPS
X1950XTX 21 FPS

8800GTX 33.4 FPS
7900GTX 17.5 FPS
X1950XTX 35 FPS

How the hell can the X1950XTX get only 21 FPS with 0xAA, 0xAF when the 7900GTX's score is roughly the same? Did Hexus sabotage the X1950XTX in this test?

Why didn't Hexus test CoH with AA and AF? They tested every other game in their review with it. Is it because the 8800GTX gets killed with AA and AF at that resolution? Is Hexus biased toward NVidia or what?

If the R600 even a little more than doubles its last X1950XTX then it should beat the 8800GTX pretty handily.

maybe Digit life screwed up the benchmark for the x1950xtx why would you expect a x1950xtx to beat the 8800gtx?

There is no doubt I don't think the r600 will be faster, the question is how much faster and why :)

8800GTX 50.6 FPS
7900GTX 19 FPS
X1950XTX 21 FPS

8800GTX 33.4 FPS
7900GTX 17.5 FPS
X1950XTX 35 FPS

Hexus used the built-in performance test where as digit-life used their own walkthrough.

Catalyst 6.10 vs Catalyst 6.12, perhaps?

Is Hexus biased toward NVidia or what?

Since the author of that piece was the current editor of Beyond3D, you may wish to reconsider that question, which is certainly unnecessarily confrontational for "step 1" of getting to the bottom of any question no matter who the other party is.

Bah, Anand is so 2005. I've only got love for Rage's eye candy now! ;)

Did I mention who even now is benching frantically for the G80 perf piece? Dunno if he's planning to bring the eye candy immediately, but I suspect there will be improvements on that score coming up in the nearish future.

That's great and I am soooo calm :), but it still doesn't answer my questions. Perhaps the drivers of the XTX but if the the 7900GTX's score was very similar in both tests then Hexus's test should be very comparible to Digit-lifes test. So with similar tests you're saying the X1950XTX got a 66% performance boost with drivers?

Why didn't Hexus test with AA or AF in COH when they tested every other test with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back