The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who here thinks that R600 is DX10.1?

Me. I still stick by the assumption of 4x AA, 32FPF, requirement of DX10.1 and R6xx being geared towards it. DX10.1 seems pretty much geared towards requirement of improved AA (with the exception of WDDM2.1) and we know R600 will have some brute force in both those areas.

I'm kind of curious about Hanner or DW's opinion on the matter...

@Jawed: Nice link. That clears that up once and for all.

How about this ?

Nah... all still based on blowing heat over the card from the top front to the back. the OEM solution is an offboard component designed (in my opinion) to suck air from the lower front of a tower system, the coolest position possible with a traditional configuration.

Nah... all still based on blowing heat over the card from the top front to the back. the OEM solution is an offboard component designed (in my opinion) to suck air from the lower front of a tower system, the coolest position possible with a traditional configuration.
In an ATX PC, the front of a graphics card faces downwards, sucking air from that "pocket of coolest air".

Jawed

The Powermac Geforce4 Ti 4200:
http://my.mac.se/marcus/mdd/thumbnails/ac_fan.jpg

And the Powermac Geforce 6800 Ultra (called "DDL"):
http://image2.sina.com.cn/IT/upload/20050118/67/1106045636/article/3/224/liry2GJIvB7Fk.jpg

It's quite obvious now that, like the Geforce 7900 GX2 (not to be confused with the 7950 GX2), these first few pictures of R600's are from a OEM-only card.
I am curious about how the standard version looks like...

Why is the PCB so long? Is this for any particular technical reason, or is it more cost-motivated? Since these cards have long been out, I would assume that there is knowledge as to why one would have such a long PCB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the PCB so long? Is this for any particular technical reason, or is it more cost-motivated? Since these cards have long been out, I would assume that there is knowledge as to why one would have such a long PCB.

The Ti4200 for example was to attach to the case/motherboard to be more secure. I believe for the 6800 there was a semi-legit reason, but I forget it exactly, I think to power the 30" Cinema monitor from Apple.

It doesn't need to be DX10.1 to support those, both fall within the DX10 spec:

Direct3D 10 Optional Format Support
- >1 Sample MSAA
- 32-bit FP filtering
- RGB32 Rendertarget (RGBA32 is required)

Key word optional. 4x sample AA is REQUIRED in DX10.1, as is 32-bit floating-point filtering.

Granted, G80 may be able to accommodate those as well, by looking how it does with 4x AA, and it does support 32-bit FPF (just like lasts gen cards...EDIT:No they didn't; G80 was the first) but who knows how well it will handle it. Still, looking at the specs of DX10.1, the only things I question that would leave ATi out of DX10.1 compatibility is if they can implement the key parts of WDDM 2.1, which as the article describes, may be a difficult task. That being said, if R650/R680 (whatever it's called) is going to compete with G90, as it may, I would hope the R6xx series is DX10.1 compliant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted, G80 may be able to accommodate those as well, by looking how it does with 4x AA, and it does support 32-bit FPF (just like lasts gen cards) but who knows how well it will handle it.
I'm confused here too... last gen cards didn't support fp32 filtering - G80 is the first. Also we know that it handles both of these quite well (they are very fast). Where's the problem/question?

Key word optional. 4x sample AA is REQUIRED in DX10.1, as is 32-bit floating-point filtering.
So? Optional or not they are part of the spec and fully supported by DX10. So R600 being "geared towards those" as you said doesn't make it any more DX10.1 than G80.

AFAIR you have to support Programmable sampling for your AA under DX10.1, and until now the G80 hasn`t been proven to have programmable sampling points for its AA. The R600 is obviously an unknown.

AFAIR you have to support Programmable sampling for your AA under DX10.1, and until now the G80 hasn`t been proven to have programmable sampling points for its AA. The R600 is obviously an unknown.
Every ATI card as of the R300 supports programmable sampling though, so it'd be quite surprising if it wasn't supported anymore... Who knows though, since that part of the pipeline is hopefully new, rather than brought over from previous generations! :)

Uttar

900 posts and still not even one substantial rumour or a benchie or anything. I'm kinda disappointed. If we don't have anything within a week, I'll officially rename R600 too R600FX :devilish:

900 posts and still not even one substantial rumour or a benchie or anything. I'm kinda disappointed. If we don't have anything within a week, I'll officially rename R600 too R600FX :devilish:

You're not allowed to do that just because it's late - it has to be rubbish and discontinued within a month of launch too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back