The LAST R600 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) Why does the OEM version need such a massive heatsink?
a.) Is it because its based on an earlier and not as cool running revision?​
b.) Does AMD expect the OEM version to be in systems with less than ideal cooling (doubtful)?​
c.) Why!?!?!​
2.) What is the design for the 9" heatsink?
a.) Is the 9" version based on a new revision that is cool running?​
b.) b is for banana.​

So yeah, interesting.... It will certainly be an interesting launch.

Interesting how the "lid" on the fan has Open and Close on it. Which has me thinking, does this system suck air in or blow air out? Both?

Interesting how the "lid" on the fan has Open and Close on it. Which has me thinking, does this system suck air in or blow air out? Both?

Yeah, I ponder the same thing. I imagine it's the same direction as previous heatsinks that were covered (presumabley pulling at in the bottom and dispensing it out the side), but the open/close thing doesn't make much sense to me, but neither does the 'handle', really.

Visionary@VR-ZONE said:
The handle at the back is actually for those OEM customers like Dell and HP so the card can be slotted and secured properly to the end of the case.

Well I guess that's that. Not only will it be held in by the bracket screws on the pci-e slot, but also by your HDD (which is presumbabley screwed in). Signs point to if that is needed, this SOB is heavy.

The writing on the top is the P/N number. Look at any other BBA product's HSF and you'll see what I mean.

atihsfhs9.jpg

X1800XT

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Geo
Well I guess that's that. Not only will it be held in by the bracket screws on the pci-e slot, but also by your HDD (which is presumbabley screwed in). Signs point to if that is needed, this SOB is heavy.

Often times for shipping to. Remember that in a Dell or similar that this computer could be shipped across country. I recently shipped a computer to a person who was to afraid to work on the inside (even with my instruction over phone) so I built the system myself and shipped it, by the time it got there the video card has slightly come out of the socket (that was with a 6800GS mind you, so you can imagine what something like the R600 would be like).

Often times for shipping to. Remember that in a Dell or similar that this computer could be shipped across country. I recently shipped a computer to a person who was to afraid to work on the inside (even with my instruction over phone) so I built the system myself and shipped it, by the time it got there the video card has slightly come out of the socket (that was with a 6800GS mind you, so you can imagine what something like the R600 would be like).

Read my post above, i really doubt its for an engineering reason, i especially think its ludicrous to think that it somehow is an improved cooling design. As far as i know Dell didnt bolt in the 7900s and 8800s and i have never, never, heard of someone getting their computer with the graphics card sitting on the towers base because it had fallen out during shipping.

Unless the heatsink is made up of a 3kilo block of copper in addition to the cards weight i dont see the need. I still think its to discourage OEM retail sales.

Read my post above, i really doubt its for an engineering reason, i especially think its ludicrous to think that it somehow is an improved cooling design. As far as i know Dell didnt bolt in the 7900s and 8800s and i have never, never, heard of someone getting their computer with the graphics card sitting on the towers base because it had fallen out during shipping.

Unless the heatsink is made up of a 3kilo block of copper in addition to the cards weight i dont see the need. I still think its to discourage OEM retail sales.

I missed your post and that does make sense and I could see it as a real possibility. As far as cards falling, what happens is they get bent or have literally cracked, while you may have never heard of it I've seen it, though with that said I think I find what you said to be a more plausible reason for the massive heatsink.

I have a question:

What's eating up all that power? Are the shading units that power hungry? The lack of clock domains forcing them to push the non-shading portions to excessive clockspeeds? The 512-bit memory controller? What?

I would say maybe leakage of the TSMC 80nm half node process at such high speeds, complex memory controller and a greater number of ALU's are responsible for this increase in power requirements, but it's just a guess, really.

The raw number of transistors alone means little.
The R580 vs G80 situation proved it, where the 8800 GTX under load only consumes about 7W more than the X1950 XTX, even though both are 90nm TSMC designs and the 8800 GTX has close to double the amount of transistors.

More details about the R600 architecture are needed before we jump to conclusions.

The writing on the top is the P/N number. Look at any other BBA product's HSF and you'll see what I mean.

atihsfhs9.jpg

X1800XT

Ah, good call. I could just make out the "P" and took a flyer based on that open/close stuff, which seemed new.

that open/close stuff, which seemed new.

I haven't seen it anywhere yet either. It's a good thing for cleaning though.. I allways waste a lot of cotton sticks and cans of compressed air trying to clean those parts of the fan.

Maybe that's where vr also got their "led" idea from.

Erm, it's so you can 'open' it to clean it then then 'close' it to use.

Much like you get on tin caps for bottles etc.

My guess, it blows. ;)

US

Erm, it's so you can 'open' it to clean it then then 'close' it to use.

Much like you get on tin caps for bottles etc.

My guess, it blows. ;)

US

It must blow the air out the end of the card. Since to suck the air in, then flow pass these long and narrow fin of the heatsink, the blower size at the end must be bigger than that of to blow the air in.

Edit: typo...

I think it's quite obvious that the open/close thing enables the fan to suck air from either the front or the back of the card. This is made possible because the fan is hanging off the end. In a crossfire configuration, this means that one card can suck air from the front and the other can suck air from the back, thus both boards get unhindered airflow. :LOL:

I think it's quite obvious that the open/close thing enables the fan to suck air from either the front or the back of the card. This is made possible because the fan is hanging off the end. In a crossfire configuration, this means that one card can suck air from the front and the other can suck air from the back, thus both boards get unhindered airflow. :LOL:

You must be genius !! :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back