The Intel Execution in [2024]

Interesting.

So rather than "fixing" the AVX512 power consumption challenge, they just decided to scrap it? Someone help me out because I'm not knowledgeable in this space: how often do AVX512 instructions show up in regular, consumer-grade software? I feel like it's probably a very low, bordering on tiny percentage... Anyway, to @Scott_Arm 's point, AMD figured out how to get AVX512 "working" in their CPUs, so why not Intel? I also agree this means yet another reason they could make sense for the next generation of console CPU...

Guessing you didn't read the posts about five up from mine? Since it looks like you haven't heard the news, Intel ditched AVX512 starting in Alder Lake (the 12th-gen series) and in all consumer processors since then. My reply was specifically in the context of AVX512 having gone missing on the Intel side (some theories suggested it might come back, seems those were wrong) yet AMD continues to provide it.

Guessing you didn't read the posts about five up from mine?
Oh, sorry, I thought this was about todays news which are right above your post.

Since it looks like you haven't heard the news, Intel ditched AVX512 starting in Alder Lake (the 12th-gen series) and in all consumer processors since then.
I know. They haven't really ditched AVX512 though even in these, it's more that they didn't add it to the E-cores and are thus forced to disable it on the P-cores too. IIRC the same P-cores in DC parts support AVX512 just fine.

My guess here would be that they will add it to E-cores eventually - as APX10 most likely or whatever was that name for a common set of all AVX512 instructions - when they will be less affected by comparatively high power draw and the die size implications.

Back