The General State of Gaming NFTs in 2022 *spawn*

They can still sell their artwork to their community regardless of whether they use NFTs or not and it has the exact same end result.
And all the hype about verifying ownership of the Blockchain part for that purchase is useless for the art itself since all you uniquely own is a URL to the image, not the actual content.

Sure, but then you don't need an NFT for that. The NFT does nothing WRT their artwork or the sale of their artwork. The only thing the NFT does for them is jump on the current hype for NFTs which almost all of their community likely don't really understand other than NFT is the new blockchain hotness.

They can still sell their artwork to their community regardless of whether they use NFTs or not and it has the exact same end result.

Regards,
SB

Yep. That's why on my previous replies I explained that it's actually the ecosystem that the artists took advantage of.

I think you should go back and read it again, it says that a NFT is a "pointer" stored on the blockchain, basically a URL, that is not a representation of anything. That is a direction to something and that something can not be verified to be a specific thing. If you buy monkey.jpeg that shows a gorilla, when using your phone. It's not none fungible or unique if shows a donkey when using your computer to follow the url/pointer/direction.

So please enlighten me with how that a None Fungible Token of an URL can have a value, to me it reads like its very not "none fungible".

How is the guy who did the writeup I linked to, being dumb? He pointed out problems with NFT as he saw them and he broke the premiss of the system. From what I read, he did the equivalent of creating collisions in a hashing algorithm, basically said that it does not work as intended.

As for NFT being a good investment, any ponzi scheme is if you get in the ground floor, except for the possible criminal liability you run.

Do I wish I had not sold my bitcoins at 1000 USD, hell yes, do I wish I got into the NFT world early and earned a gazillion bucks, sure, who does not like money.
But it does not make it the best thing since sliced bread.

You completely misunderstood my post.

I said that you can NFT everything, and because there are many dumb people on earth, many of the things people will make into "NFT" will be very stupid and dumb things, such as the example you gave of someone NFT an URL link.

...or that you can own it for life, he is actually trying to con you.

You guys talk a lot, and I mean a lot, with the wrong assumptions on things. Your entire post is based on the premise that NFT's are server owned proprietary tokens that always belong to the game maker.

For one, the above is only true if the developer makes and uses its own blockchain. This would make the blockchain just another way of storing information for the developer.

Two, if the developer uses a public blockchain, rules dictate each user/player must have a wallet. What goes into that wallet, stays with the wallet owner forever. So, no "Con". Just ignorance.

it will hold a value assigned by a free market until the game is no longer supported and said value will go to zero.

Items no longer being made, increase in value according to rarity, regardless if they retain any usability in real life. So this makes this quote very very subjective and arguably incorrect if the real markets serve as an exemple. Also, a subject of whitch NFT tech have nothing to do with.

Its deeply troubling that after two pages of trying to explain the exact same thing, you people only prove one of two things: 1) you dont read the topic, or 2) you read diagonally giving priority to your preconceived ideas.

I'll explain again: NFT is a technology in which you can digitally assign ownership of "anything" you want or wish. Its a tool. You are systematically complaining about external- known market dynamics - that have nothing to do with what NFT is. You might as well be complaining about written contracts in papers. Should you throw shade at paper, ball pens and written language, if what you disagree with is the content of the contracts? Blame the actors. This is ridiculous.

I'll explain again: NFT is a technology in which you can digitally assign ownership of "anything" you want or wish. Its a tool. You are systematically complaining about external- known market dynamics - that have nothing to do with what NFT is. You might as well be complaining about written contracts in papers. Should you throw shade at paper, ball pens and written language, if what you disagree with is the content of the contracts? Blame the actors. This is ridiculous.
Yes, and we're discussing some actual uses of NFTs and how badly they're being used. Can we continue now please?

I'll explain again: NFT is a technology in which you can digitally assign ownership of "anything" you want or wish. Its a tool.

Yes, and additionally at any point in time the "thing" that is attached to the NFT which is owned can be changed. So while the NFT will always be the same, the object associated with the NFT can be changed at any time. It's like having a contract on paper. But at any point in time the wording of that contract can be changed. Kind of making that contract worthless, but the paper remains unchanged, so the paper is still good! :D

Regards,
SB

You guys talk a lot, and I mean a lot, with the wrong assumptions on things. Your entire post is based on the premise that NFT's are server owned proprietary tokens that always belong to the game maker.

For one, the above is only true if the developer makes and uses its own blockchain. This would make the blockchain just another way of storing information for the developer.

Two, if the developer uses a public blockchain, rules dictate each user/player must have a wallet. What goes into that wallet, stays with the wallet owner forever. So, no "Con". Just ignorance.

I am talking about the asset those NFTs represent.
What do you own, if the game the asset was made for, no longer exists?

An NFT, is the contract that states you own something.
Let's say, I own a painting by Salvador Dali, as well as the documents associated with that painting that prove the authenticity of said painting, and the fact that I am the legal owner of that piece of art.
Now let's assume that I have that painting hanging in my living room, and the contract in a fireproof safe in my basement.
Let's make one final assumption, now the house is on fire, the painting destroyed, but the contract is intact.
What do I own?

Items no longer being made, increase in value according to rarity, regardless if they retain any usability in real life. So this makes this quote very very subjective and arguably incorrect if the real markets serve as an exemple. Also, a subject of whitch NFT tech have nothing to do with.
If I said, that the value will go to zero, for 99.9999% of those NFTs, would it be OK with you?

" hey look guys! THAT guy tried to scam me with these words written on a paper. Paper is a scam! Words are cons "

" I received an E-mail trying to scam me! E-mails are being used for scams! screw E-mails, aaand the Internet! "

" I bought an iPhone on Ebay.com and received a Brick! Ebay is a scam! E-commerce is a con!"

... is all I'm reading. Like 70 year olds business owners in the 90's when being explained what the Internet was.

If I said, that the value will go to zero, for 99.9999% of those NFTs, would it be OK with you?

What does that have to do with NFT? You are discussing market dynamics that apply to... every market.

Does it make it different if said market celebrated contracts using ink and paper? e-mail forms? auction slips?

You don't like what bad actors are doing, and are blaming the sheet of paper where they wrote the contract.

Why are you getting so upset over others participating in the discussion? You're reactions don't seem rational.

What does that have to do with NFT? You are discussing market dynamics that apply to... every market.

Does it make it different if said market celebrated contracts using ink and paper? e-mail forms? auction slips?

You don't like what bad actors are doing, and are blaming the sheet of paper where they wrote the contract.

I am talking about NFTs, in specific relation to video games.
I thought this was the subject of this thread.
I'm talking about on one hand, an actual digital asset, that is represented by ones and zeros, that you access by a link through a database or data table and can use in a virtual environment, and on the other hand, a contract pointing to a database entry that at some point (the database) will inevitably stop existing.
If someone is claiming that you own this asset for life, they should also claim that the game this asset is part of, will be supported for life as well.
Games, don't work that way...

If they said, that you will own the asset, for as long as the game is supported, I would be fine.
I also think, that NFTs might be a good way for a small dev to monetize a free game.
But they should do it without false claims.

Last edited:
I thought this was the subject of this thread.
I'm talking about on one hand, an actual digital asset, that is represented by ones and zeros, that you access by a link through a database or data table and can use in a virtual environment, and on the other hand, a contract pointing to a database entry that at some point will inevitably stop existing.
If someone is claiming that you own this asset for life, they should also claim that the game this asset is part of, will be supported for life as well.
Games, don't work that way...

If they said, that you will own the asset, for as long as the game is supported, I would be fine.
I also think, that NFTs might be a good way for a small dev to monetize a free game.
But they should do it without false claims.

Like with any contract anywhere in the world, the strength of a contract depends on what was written on it. It depends on how it was verbally written. Its not the fault of the contract medium used to celebrate it, if contracts exploit one party. Because NFT merely represents another medium where you can celebrate any kind of contract, and the proof of that contract will live decentralized, unadulterated, in the blockchain.

The fragility you are targeting in your examples, are mutual to the very nature of what a contract is, of what markets are, and bare no causation with NFT or any other medium on which contracts or businesses are conducted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

I'll explain again: NFT is a technology in which you can digitally assign ownership of "anything" you want or wish. Its a tool.
That's true. It's just a log recording transactions. What and how people use those records is down to them.

...that have nothing to do with what NFT is.
That's not quite true because the technology is being pushed for ludicrous uses with ludicrous outcomes. No matter how wonderful the altruistic opportunities are that you envisage (and that's part of the overall debate with not a lot of evidence in favour of blockchains technology while the toxic stories are relentless with a new one every day), it's not being used that way or pushed that way or developed that way because the people involved have no altruistic objectives and it's always been about making (easy) money.

If one is in favour of blockchain, I'd argue one should get on board the 'down with this' crowd to stop the shit and corruption now and force a reset, because it's only going to escalate or die off completely and get buried as a toxic concept. Actually, the latter would probably be good - if the investors and consumers abandon the blockchain, it'll be reserved for actual uses in science or industry or whatever where it actually may have useful, meaningful niches outside the corruption of the Gold Rush mentality.

That's not quite true because the technology is being pushed for ludicrous uses with ludicrous outcomes. No matter how wonderful the altruistic opportunities are that you envisage (and that's part of the overall debate with not a lot of evidence in favour of blockchains technology while the toxic stories are relentless with a new one every day), it's not being used that way or pushed that way or developed that way because the people involved have no altruistic objectives and it's always been about making (easy) money.

If one is in favour of blockchain, I'd argue one should get on board the 'down with this' crowd to stop the shit and corruption now and force a reset, because it's only going to escalate or die off completely and get buried as a toxic concept. Actually, the latter would probably be good - if the investors and consumers abandon the blockchain, it'll be reserved for actual uses in science or industry or whatever where it actually may have useful, meaningful niches outside the corruption of the Gold Rush mentality.

Nowhere in the NFT exists a mandatory condition that mandates that every business conducted on it, must be abused or pushed to the limits of common sense. NFT is a programming language in which you can write a contract anyway you wish. In short, none of it is the NFT blockchain fault.

Like with any contract anywhere in the world, the strength of a contract depends on what was written on it. It depends on how it was verbally written. Its not the fault of the contract medium used to celebrate it, if contracts exploit one party. Because NFT merely represents another medium where you can celebrate any kind of contract, and the proof of that contract will live decentralized, unadulterated, in the blockchain.

The fragility you are targeting in your examples, are mutual to the very nature of what a contract is, of what markets are, and bare no causation with NFT or any other medium on which contracts or businesses are conducted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

The value NFTs bring, is dubious at best, a scam at worst...
When someone implies that you can buy an NFT and use it in any game, or that you can own it for life, he is actually trying to con you.

I think I explained sufficiently why I believe the above quote stands.

I think I explained sufficiently why I believe the above quote stands.
No, you haven't, and it doesn't.

Explain why the value of NFT is dubius at best and a scam at worst, if what NFT is is a tool and platform to celebrate contracts whose proof is secured by blockchain?

The value NFTs bring, is dubious at best, a scam at worst...

Explain why when someone sends a NFT to your public blockchain wallet, you don't own it for life?

When someone implies that you can buy an NFT and use it in any game, or that you can own it for life, he is actually trying to con you.

I know why you are making these statements, and I explained before. You are missing what blockchain are and do. You are missing what NFT is and does. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-fungible_token

Nowhere in the NFT exists a mandatory condition that mandates that every business conducted on it, must be abused or pushed to the limits of common sense. NFT is a programming language in which you can write a contract anyway you wish. In short, none of it is the NFT blockchain fault.
That response completely misses my argument. This is a thread about NFTs in gaming. If they are just being used and abused, that's what people will talk about and complain about. And they are only being used and abused because that opportunity has opened up. It doesn't matter how much potential you see; once the cat is out of the bag, the concept takes on its own momentum and becomes whatever people make of it. Whatever NFTs in gaming could have been, they are just overselling tat and that appears to be their only future without anything happening to salvage the tech from this corruption.

I go back to your earlier reply...

As for your belief that very few propositions exist that benefit from the blockchain, I look at the ecosystem of it all and I cannot see why you believe that.
Every mention of NFT ever made these days is in relation to exorbitant amounts of money and violations. This is fuelling a gold-rush, and the high profile nature of NFT and blockchain is corrupting people's attitudes so they are thinking in terms of blockchain because it's new, not because it's considered in balance alongside all solutions. None of the games publishers who have spoken of NFTs have presented a single positive use case that makes gamers say, "oh yeah, that'd be cool." Instead, NFTs are being used for single item sales which are completely unnecessary, and for ludicrous nonsense in the wider market, selling avatars for hundreds of thousands of dollars where the content of the 'non-fungible' is completely fungible!

The reason to believe there are no good uses is because no-one is presenting them. ;) If we were hearing stories about how this thing and that thing we like and care about is happening and only through the potential of NFTs, we'd be supporting it. You can't ask the general gamer to get on board and back NFTs without a body of evidence showing it's good, or at least under the burden of a large body of evidence showing it's bad!

I can make a video game around block chain, and it would work. And it would make sense to do it. But really, the only reason I'd do it, is because as an indie, I can't afford server costs, I can't afford cheat detection, and I can't handle immense real time graphics anyway.

Suddenly MUDS, and old school turn based games can be played Massively Massively online, distributed amongst the players. NFTs will suddenly make sense. Block chain makes sense. Because? The games inherent engine is on block chain, because? Can't afford server costs. Can't afford labour costs.
How would that work and who would be paying the costs of running the game?

I'm increasingly hearing and seeing this from large proponents of NFTs as well as skeptics of its use outside of VERY narrow applications. The phrase I'm seeing more of now is that NFTs (as currently used) is the dot.com bubble of this generation. Basically at some point it's going to collapse just like the dot.com bubble. What remains in the aftermath will determine whether NFTs survive and find a good use that is suitable to it or whether it'll die out in obscurity due to the negative associations with how NFTs are currently being used.

Regards,
SB

Back