The game console living room fortress will not be breached by cellphones & tablets.

We will see.

PS4 and X1 may ship tens of millions in the next 5-10 years. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even meet the PS3 and X360 volumes.

We will see.

PS4 and X1 may ship tens of millions in the next 5-10 years. But I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even meet the PS3 and X360 volumes.

I'd be surprised if they don't. As far as PS3/4 are concerned, the PS4 looks like a much more thought-out product, with a much more solid base, built by a Sony that looks like a completely different company to what it was during the PS3 launch.

I'd be surprised if they don't. As far as PS3/4 are concerned, the PS4 looks like a much more thought-out product, with a much more solid base, built by a Sony that looks like a completely different company to what it was during the PS3 launch.

Fully agree, I think this gen we will see ad least a 25-30% grow in the nr. of consoles, with PS4 in the lead.

I believe whoever thinks that 8000€ tvs are going to revitalize console gaming (which I don't think needs revitalizing in the first place) or vice versa must be living in some tech radiation induced fever dream.
As long as phone and tablet gaming continues to be this largely exploitative and quite frankly disgusting pay-to-win nonsense, traditional gaming need not be afraid.

I finally caved in and bought myself a nice, top of the line Android phone last week, and save for a couple of exceptions, the games on the Play Store either seem to be garbage outright, or rendered garbage thanks to damn near criminal payment models.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe whoever thinks that 8000€ tvs are going to revitalize console gaming (which I don't think needs revitalizing in the first place) or vice versa must be living in some tech radiation induced fever dream.
As long as phone and tablet gaming continues to be this largely exploitative and quite frankly disgusting pay-to-win nonsense, traditional gaming need not be afraid.

I finally caved in and bought myself a nice, top of the line Android phone last week, and save for a couple of exceptions, the games on the Play Store either seem to be garbage outright, or rendered garbage thanks to damn near criminal payment models.

That's exactly my thoughts - the whole pay-to-win and how some games abuse it, is criminal and if there is anything that will slow down mobile gaming, it will be that. Does that feeling stop me from buying new levels on Candy Crush Saga? Of course not! What else would I do on the tube/plane/toilet??

That's exactly my thoughts - the whole pay-to-win and how some games abuse it, is criminal and if there is anything that will slow down mobile gaming, it will be that.
Thing is, the reason companies employ that model is because it works. It's not a model conventional gamers like, but if you want to make games for a living, you'll probaly make a lot more money with a pay-to-win model than free or selling outright upfront. For that reason, mobile games will probably focus on that model and not offer anything for core gamers.

Games that are free to play and advertised as such, but who's gameplay mechanics centre on use of 'optional extras' which come at considerable cost. You have people spending $10/20/50 on in game items to play games where games would expect the whole game, and a much better game, complete and balanced for $10 or less from a console download store.

There have been games on Android with '$10 for 500 coins' elements that I choke at. For $10, you get very little game. But as long as idiots still buy this crap, people will make it!

Oh "freemium" games?

My understanding is that only a small percentage of people make in-game purchases.

But some people are spending hundreds on them.

I'm not so sure it's sustainable either.

You can be sure that the worlds will blend and keep blending.

Thing is, the reason companies employ that model is because it works. It's not a model conventional gamers like, but if you want to make games for a living, you'll probaly make a lot more money with a pay-to-win model than free or selling outright upfront. For that reason, mobile games will probably focus on that model and not offer anything for core gamers.

Which is exactly why phone gaming is never gonna replace a dedicated gaming device for the many, many people who actually know and like games. Doesn't matter whether it's growing or not either, because there's still some 200 million folks who'll never accept that a Diablo clone is suddenly limiting the use of health potions to one in 2 hours unless they're willing to cough up extra cash.

Which is exactly why phone gaming is never gonna replace a dedicated gaming device for the many, many people who actually know and like games. Doesn't matter whether it's growing or not either, because there's still some 200 million folks who'll never accept that a Diablo clone is suddenly limiting the use of health potions to one in 2 hours unless they're willing to cough up extra cash.

It makes me so f'king angry. As a gamer for so many years, I find it so sad that (some) games have gone this way.

It's especially sad because the likes of Gameloft are clearly putting quite a bit of effort into their games now. In terms of mechanics, presentation and visual fidelity, the later Dungeon Hunter games aren't half bad at all. A far cry from the shoddy, cut-rate dungeon crawlers they started off as.

Oh they will swing back like a pendulum if enough people prefer a different model. I suspect it will happen. ^_^

When you learn that Candy Crush is making 800,000$ PER DAY you must concede they are doing something right for some people...

I hope this will not influence too much the game model on next gen consoles.

Interesting coincidence, the iPad Mini with Retina may launch around the same time as the launch of these consoles, starting at $399, so about the same price.

Apple hasn't been breaking out iPad vs. iPad Mini sales numbers, just giving an aggregate for the quarter.

But it'll be interesting to compare numbers in January when the sales in the Christmas quarter is reported.

Apple hasn't been breaking out iPad vs. iPad Mini sales numbers, just giving an aggregate for the quarter.

But it'll be interesting to compare numbers in January when the sales in the Christmas quarter is reported.

Trolling?

I agree, not seeing anything interesting in the comparison. It would be like comparing the sales of laptops and desktops with consoles.

I agree, not seeing anything interesting in the comparison. It would be like comparing the sales of laptops and desktops with consoles.

I see a loose comparison; similar price and overlap with many services offered even if the gaming aspect is slightly different focus versus core gaming. And even wrt gaming we are seeing publishers starting to make more of push in tablet space by sometimes launching titles there first or offering loose versions of important titles on those platforms.

We've discussed many times that tablets and smart phones are eating into the console market, looking at sales and interest in tablets versus consoles in the teen, tween demographics could offer some insight into where we are headed over next couple years especially with the new control specs standardization from both Google and Apple.

I see a loose comparison; similar price and overlap with many services offered even if the gaming aspect is slightly different focus versus core gaming. And even wrt gaming we are seeing publishers starting to make more of push in tablet space by sometimes launching titles there first or offering loose versions of important titles on those platforms.

We've discussed many times that tablets and smart phones are eating into the console market, looking at sales and interest in tablets versus consoles in the teen, tween demographics could offer some insight into where we are headed over next couple years especially with the new control specs standardization from both Google and Apple.

Gametrailers segment on tablets as a threat - perhaps WC is on to something:

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/087n8z/bonus-round-sony-s-newest-threat

Back