The game console living room fortress will not be breached by cellphones & tablets.

Or put another way, the graphics of Infinity Blade III are amazing, but the gameplay is quite dull. Compare that to any top tier PS2 game and I don't see why you'd ever pick what's available on the iPad to play for longer than 10 minutes. And the GPU performance on the iPad Air is several orders of magnitude better :rolleyes:

Personal preference.
I've spent many, many times more hours playing games on my iPhone/iPad than I ever did on console games. Not because I necessarily prefer them, but because of my lifestyle and the time I spend travelling or away from home for whatever reason.

Personal preference.
I've spent many, many times more hours playing games on my iPhone/iPad than I ever did on console games. Not because I necessarily prefer them, but because of my lifestyle and the time I spend travelling or away from home for whatever reason.

Sounds like you need a Vita.

I've got a great smartphone for games together with a MOGA gamepad and a rather large collection of Android games.
I haven't touched any of those since I got engaged with some great Vita titles I got from Plus.

In any case, if we can get PS4 power in a tablet in 2017 that handles games between 25-50GB we might get lucky and get new consoles earlier in this round :)

My point is even if you did get that (unlikely)...

It still wont change the fact it's a tablet and thus imo, relatively useless as a core gaming device.

It's not just the graphics that separate core consoles, it's the controls, imo.

Sure there's been lots of initiatives to introduce console controllers to tablets/phones, but they will never really gain traction imo. The instant you start having to fiddle, you're lost. It's default (touchscreen controls) or nothing, in practice. Besides, what are you going to do, prop up your stupid tablet on a table?

I would say it's not just controls. It's also the display. There's a difference between playing a game on a 10" screen and a 50" one (or even a 24" at the PC).

Sure there's been lots of initiatives to introduce console controllers to tablets/phones, but they will never really gain traction imo. The instant you start having to fiddle, you're lost. It's default (touchscreen controls) or nothing, in practice.

Do you own, or have ever tried a MOGA gamepad with a supporting game?
If the gamepad is detected during the game's launch, onscreen controls disappear and you use the buttons/sticks as if it were a portable console.

It's not default or nothing. That's like saying gamepads for PCs will never gain traction for the same reasons.
PC games all have to be able to work with a mouse+keyboard, but many will default
to gamepad if a x-input device is detected. This is the same thing.

Besides, what are you going to do, prop up your stupid tablet on a table?

Do Wii U owners have to prop up their stupid wuublets on a table to play?

98P2Q3U.png

I would say it's not just controls. It's also the display. There's a difference between playing a game on a 10" screen and a 50" one (or even a 24" at the PC).

Gee.. if only there was a very successful gaming platform using sub-3" screens that sold >150M units just to prove your theory wrong..

Last edited by a moderator:
My point is even if you did get that (unlikely)...

It still wont change the fact it's a tablet and thus imo, relatively useless as a core gaming device.

It's not just the graphics that separate core consoles, it's the controls, imo.

Sure there's been lots of initiatives to introduce console controllers to tablets/phones, but they will never really gain traction imo. The instant you start having to fiddle, you're lost. It's default (touchscreen controls) or nothing, in practice. Besides, what are you going to do, prop up your stupid tablet on a table?

Well i wasn't really answering or posting anything related to your post (i guess you didn't get that?).
I never considered the Tablet or Phone gaming a serious threat to console games, that was the standpoint of others.

With that being said, i have seen kids age 6-7-8-9 play with iPads, and they are very good with smudge controls, and they obviously have a different opinion of what can be done, simply because they are so used to it. They can play games that i would consider controller only or mouse only to such a degree that it's worth it. But if Apple decides to create a wireless controller then things would change..imagine a controller that can be charged from a iPad, nice an small easy to carry around... it will be a whole new world.

That is more threatening than tablets or phones. Be it smart TV or Apple/Google TV/etc. New SoC should provide ps360 type of experience soon, content lag a bit though it would not take much from Apple and Google to convince publishers to port their games.

Such a TV could only be a success via software though, and the software comes from Android, so the two are essentially one and the same thing. The games presently on Android will be played on TVs like this, which could in turn increase the adoption of controllers for games, which'll feed back to tablet design with more games supporting controllers and more hardware vendors providing controls in some form, snowballing into a more competitive ecosystem to challenge the consoles.

The game console living room fortress will not be breached by cellphones & ta...

That is more threatening than tablets or phones. Be it smart TV or Apple/Google TV/etc. New SoC should provide ps360 type of experience soon, content lag a bit though it would not take much from Apple and Google to convince publishers to port their games.

It's not GPU power that is holding back such experiences. No mobile developer wants to dump time and energy to make a game like even Final Fantasy VII because no one is going to pay enough to recoup costs. Everyone seems to want free to play games that nickel and dime you every 30 seconds because those developers make a ton of money.

It's a shiny Skinner box with your credit card info stored in it. A more sinister modern day version of an arcade. Nothing more.

Gpu power makes ports more trivial, one release old games as it happens on iOS.
Though I agree that the main issue is content even though the quality of mobile games keeps going up.

I still expect Apple and Google to make move at some point and I don't mean launching a powerhouse of a console I mean leverage gaming as a selling point more seriously.
For now the main issue I see for re-release of ps360 games is storage constrains. It is also a constrain for new games actually. But who knows may be Google and Apple.could change their view on SD cards support if they have to.
Other than that they can launch streaming services, won't work for every body but Internet is not fair thing, it sucks hard where I leave for example.

Such a TV could only be a success via software though, and the software comes from Android, so the two are essentially one and the same thing. The games presently on Android will be played on TVs like this, which could in turn increase the adoption of controllers for games, which'll feed back to tablet design with more games supporting controllers and more hardware vendors providing controls in some form, snowballing into a more competitive ecosystem to challenge the consoles.

I am on the lookout for a new TV and so far Philips have been near the bottom list on my list, right above LG.
The step they are taking here moves them up to the top simply because all my Android purchases (games for the kids) suddenly would be playable on this devices, i could check mail, do some browsing and everything would be sync'd with my Google stuff..

To bad it only features 4GB memory.. :/

Hopefully others will see the light and do something similar, the hardware can't be expensive, the TV's need something to run the smart features anyway..

...the TV's need something to run the smart features anyway..
I think that's very much the back-door for the Android ecosystem and gaming. Like every TV comes with 3D now as a matter of course, whether you want it or not, increasing 3D penetration. There has to be some hardware in the machines to enable the interface, and mobile parts make sense for power and versatility reasons (we already have ARM and PVR in TVs). So it's almost no stretch to add a full OS and interface with software and add value to your TV. As a differentiator, 'our TV is much the same as every other TV except we provide access to your Android/iOS content...,' it looks like the next obvious step, of far more value to most folk than 4k or curved screens probably will be, and that'll be what gets people playing Android content on their TVs instead of console titles.

Back