The Darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many multi platform games have to look and run better on the 360 before people realize in real world game scenarios the 360 is either equal to or better than the PS3 as a game console?

None..

Some people (like yourself probably) do believe this idea.. However in reality things aren't so clear cut..

Gears of War is still the best looking (released, playable) console game ever. so 360 has the best looking MP games to date and the best looking exclusives to date. CoD4 and UT3 on the 360 (MP games) are said to look better (by some previewers) than Gears.

not saying the PS3 can't/won't catch up (and surpass occasionally) but the evidence is mounting furiously that Swanlee is correct.

Generally speaking the 360 multiplatform games have looked better. However, Motorstorm is the best looking console game! Has anyone actually played it? Dont know where this Gears myth comes from, when the later levels of Motorstorm look so amazing...the fact its a launch game makes it an even more impressive feat.

.. However in reality things aren't so clear cut..

the big question is will the tools to utilize SPUs more efficiently change this to at least make MP developing on PS3 equal to 360. Once the Cell gets more well optimized in development for these games there is no reason PS3 can not hold its own.

Swanlee's comment was based on real world extraction of power. at this point I'd say he is closer to being right. in the long run as devs familiarize with SPUs and the tools are matured, who knows?

right now it's obvious that 360 can hold its own and surpass PS3 in it's current dev state. IMO

...when the later levels of Motorstorm look so amazing...the fact its a launch game makes it an even more impressive feat.

have not played the later levels but from what I have played Motorstorm is a beautiful game.

gears just looks smoother and has better textures IMO (from what I've seen).

Just to be clear, I absolutely understand that PS3 is capable of just as amazing visuals as 360. but with better HW support for AA and motion blur (as noted in the Darkness) and easier programming on the 3 cores and XNA etc compared to Sony's tools and SPU usage to yield the best results... it's evidently not as easy at this time to get the same or better results as 360 unless designed for PS3 in mind.

Again we go back to 2 years ago when both systems were unveiled and I remember Shifty saying that the difference between them was an elegant design (360) vs brute force (PS3). two different methods to achieve the same results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you guys make a "The console I bought is better than the console I didn't buy" thread, this was a Darkness thread. Anyone have anything to say about the game itself?

have not played the later levels but from what I have played Motorstorm is a beautiful game.

gears just looks smoother and has better textures IMO (from what I've seen).

Well apparently the UE3 is better suited to 360 than some people first thought which will hold it in good stead considering the extent of its use.

Games like the Darkness look very good, but right now I'm considering making the majority of my purchases exclusive games. Generally speaking, I havent been that impressed by many multiplatform games, some of which are 'jack-of-all-trades'. I'm sure most developers are doing all they can, but now I'm thinking I'll get a PS3 for GT, MGS4, Unchartered, Killzone and and FF, and a 360 for PGR4, Halo 3, Bioshock and Alan Wake. Then I'll get the big multiplatform games like GTA and Pro Evo.

Why don't you guys make a "The console I bought is better than the console I didn't buy" thread, this was a Darkness thread. Anyone have anything to say about the game itself?

That's not what we're saying (at least not me)

It has nothing to do with what I bought or didn't buy. I could go right now and own a PS3 without batting an eyelash if I had a compelling reason to do so (better more interesting games than 360). That is not the case so it's not worth it compared to what I have available to play on 360. when that happens, then I will buy a PS3 also.

The point is that we are finally seeing the evidence as to which system can produce the best visuals (at this time). After 2 years of people expecting Ps3 to be a monster blowing the 360 out of the water... we now see that is not true. the Darkness deved at the same time on both platforms has missing technical visual features.

closing your eyes to that evidence is not going to change it just as those who like to go on and on in the Rings of Red thread and who do not own 360's is going to make the system fail any less frequently.

back on topic...
I wish the multiplayer was better on the Darkness becasue as it stands it's a rental for SP only for me.

I'm just not sure anyone wants to hear the same old tired f***** arguments in a game thread. There are dozens of reasons cross platform games can be different and you can go back and forth forever, but that is just hijacking a thread IMO.

Get get the Darkenesss devs to spill the beans on the development/console differences, that would be interesting.

It has nothing to do with what I bought or didn't buy.

Let's be honest, you are not going to argue the other way in a game that illustrate the opposite outcome, like Oblivion.

I agree with Vic...

Motorstorm IS beautiful!

the big question is will the tools to utilize SPUs more efficiently change this to at least make MP developing on PS3 equal to 360.
No.. The tools aren't there to do your job for you as a developer.. The only thing that will make a difference to the state of PS3 third party development is developer fore-knowledge of designing and optimising for the hardware.. This will improve given enough time.. It already has..

Once the Cell gets more well optimized in development for these games there is no reason PS3 can not hold its own.
The Cell wont get more optimised.. The software will however..

Swanlee's comment was based on real world extraction of power. at this point I'd say he is closer to being right. in the long run as devs familiarize with SPUs and the tools are matured, who knows?
I know what his comments were based on and the truth is that you can't make any kind of inference based around the potential of a hardware platform with another when trying to compare sub-optimal code with sub-optimal code.. Well you can.. But that's just rather stupid..

right now it's obvious that 360 can hold its own and surpass PS3 in it's current dev state. IMO
surpass the PS3 in what exactly??

The only "obvious" points I can take from either platform are these..:-

- So far the PS3 can cope VERY adaquately with huge-scale rich, detailed environments with loads going on and maintain a very high level of visual fidelity (when code is done right; see Lair & Heavenly Sword for great examples..)
- So far the Xbox360 seems to take a lower penalty for increased image quality (see "the rampant 360 versions of multi-plat titles which often have greater levels of AA and more post processing going on" for examples..)
- So far first party PS3 devs seem to be focusing on pushing the bar with respect to scale and scope of their games (more vast, wide-open environments, deeper level of interactions with respect to physics etc, deeper and more sophisticated dynamic animation systems etc..)
- So far firsty party 360 devs seem to be.. well.. developing xbox-genre-staples using UE3.0.. :???:

Other than that nothing else is "obvious" as far as I can see..

Let's be honest, you are not going to argue the other way in a game that illustrate the opposite outcome, like Oblivion.

not devved at the same time (1 year more dev time) and the 360 upgrades make it equal to PS3 in most of those cases.

that's why the darkness is so relevant IMO .... first game that I remember devved and released together.

The Cell wont get more optimised.. The software will however..
of course that is what I meant

point is Todd I'm not a blind fanboy who can only afford one system so I argue my side... don't lump me in that category.

I'm someone who can own whatever the hell he wants (at least wrt consoles or PCs ;)) is a "show me" kind of guy and was ready to purchase a PS3 until all of the delays and lack of software took the air out of my sails and 360 stepped up.

Now I'm more ok, enough talk... prove it. If they do that (and I'm sure in time they may) then I'll buy one. It still will not stop me from commenting freely when I see crap and calling it crap though on either system

Last edited by a moderator:
not devved at the same time (1 year more dev time) and the 360 upgrades make it equal to PS3 in most of those cases.

that's why the darkness is so relevant IMO .... first game that I remember devved and released together.

of course that is what I meant

See you are spouting nonsense again. You have no evidence of the dev time or number of developers for either game. You setup the picture in your mind that best proves your point. There is nothing more relevant for the Darkness, one system has 4x the installed base, maybe they put some extra touches into the one that will sell the best? Who knows, not you or I.

Some mediocre cross platform FPS is not the ultimate proof in console hardware you think it is.

not saying the PS3 can't/won't catch up (and surpass occasionally) but the evidence is mounting furiously that Swanlee is correct.

Wait what??? 1 game does not equate with furiously mounting evidence of anything, but hey if you like to draw conclusions from one sample then be my guest.

- So far first party PS3 devs seem to be focusing on pushing the bar with respect to scale and scope of their games (more vast, wide-open environments, deeper level of interactions with respect to physics etc, deeper and more sophisticated dynamic animation systems etc..)
- So far firsty party 360 devs seem to be.. well.. developing xbox-genre-staples using UE3.0..

Nonsense.

Why this thread turned into system wars?

"There are dozens of reasons cross platform games can be different "

Yeah but we have seen a trend since the PS3 launched, multi plat games on the vast majority have looked and run better on the 360. I mean each month new multi plat games are being released and it is now the NORM for the 360 version to look and run better. These games were made by different publishers in different genre's using different graphic engines developed at different times.

The only thing consistent is the fact the the PS3 version is either lacking in graphical features or runs at a worse framerate or took a lot longer for the publisher to complete or a combination of all 3

So far it has been a complete anomaly for the PS3 version of the same game to look and run better, I'm not sure there has been ONE yet that without a doubt looked and ran better on the PS3.

I mean come on it's getting pretty obvious now and it's hard to deny the real world games we are seeing. I still have not seen or heard of a PS3 game that has the texture, and AA quality of Kameo which is a 360 launch title and nothing on the PS3 has surpassed Gears.

Whatever the reason, be it the PS3 is hard to develop for, or it's GPU is holding it back in the world we live in the evidence is stacking up.

See you are spouting nonsense again. You have no evidence of the dev time or number of developers for either game. You setup the picture in your mind that best proves your point. There is nothing more relevant for the Darkness, one system has 4x the installed base, maybe they put some extra touches into the one that will sell the best? Who knows, not you or I.

Some mediocre cross platform FPS is not the ultimate proof in console hardware you think it is.

Good post!

Nonsense.

Why this thread turned into system wars?

All he is pointing out, is that many 360 games are a continuation of Xbox-style games. Many are action/FPS's that arent radically different in scale or in terms of physics (obviously Gears and Forza are exceptions), with what came before.

All he is pointing out, is that many 360 games are a continuation of Xbox-style games. Many are action/FPS's that arent radically different in scale or in terms of physics (obviously Gears and Forza are exceptions), with what came before.

Why is this debate even happening? Just drop it and let the original thread continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back