The Darkness 2 !!! First Gameplay trailer !

Trailer for the new Darkness: The Darkness 2 ! Being developed by Digital Extremes !

Lots of new melee stuff with the tentacles this time around, but I say "Too Much colour!" I haven't played the first Darkness, but I heard it had a fantastic mood to it !

I don't like the new artstyle, the first game's style was great. Starbreeze took a comic franchise and made a game with their own touch, Digital Extremes on the other hand simply wants to make it look like you are playing a comic.

I really hate the cell shading...to me literally ruin the graphic 'appeal' in a game, expecially when the first chapter use a total different style...

I just don't get what the point of trying to make a game about the "Darkness" franchise as a cell-shaded game?!?

Even the comic is one of the more darker and grittier top cow series. The series is called "The Darkness" for heavens sake... not "mutli-colours and rainbows".

Anyways, even though i respected the work of Starbreeze (excellent dev at atmosphere, narrative and characterisation) i didn't like how far the story strayed from the comics. The Darkness as a character doesn't lend himself to games very well as his power are not even romotely easily definable in a game context using playable gameplay mechanics. No matter what powers they cherry pick to give jackie in the games he's always gonna seem rediculously underpowered compared to the comic version. So even conceptually the Darkness as a character just doesn't work for games for me.

They'd have been better doing a witchblade game or hunter-killer game. Even a Magdelena game would have been awesome (get Anna Torv to do the voice acting :devilish:).

The first Darkness game did nothing but dissappoint me as a fan of the comics (despite being a solid game), and this one i'll likely completely ignore.

Back