Temporary Mods for E3

london-boy said:
Hail Mary, c0_re is banned.

I do agree with the E3 UN Resolution some have proposed. Joining could be allowed, as long as they can't post for a while. Banning is nice, but not when the imbeciles can just sign up with a new username in 5 seconds and start posting again... And yes, it really does take 5 seconds.

You just have to hard moderate the first 1-5 posts (ie, they don't show up if a moderator hasn't read them and approved), it takes some time but I think it's feasible during E3. And that way you avoid people just banned to register and post, while you still let new people join if they are posting something that makes sense.
Either That or something else I proposed to Dave in private :devilish:

Here u go...

As long as people can get multiple email addresses (and how hard is that these days...), they'll be able to sign up every time they get banned. And especially during E3 (and the couple of months after), the kids are relentless, they'll want to ruin a forum and they just won't stop.

Also worth noticing is that it's not just "the 2 weeks E3 will be held", but the time shortly before and at least a month after it finished. E3 is like eating a dodgy kebab, the pain stays there way after you finish it.

And how the heck did you manage to get the red square under that fantasy name you used but once or twice? Naughty boy! :LOL:

My memory is still good, though :D

NocturnDragon said:
You just have to hard moderate the first 1-5 posts (ie, they don't show up if a moderator hasn't read them and approved), it takes some time but I think it's feasible during E3.
I don't know how much time the mods want to spend babysitting the fora, but I imagne it's not high on their list of favourite pasttimes. Personally I'm thinking 'what can a new member contribute to E3 discussion?' Most talk is going to be about the games being shown, with probably very little technical discussion and lots of 'oooo, pretty' or 'pah, seen better'. There's not a huge amount of tech news expected AFAIK. So anyone just wanting to talk games, there's loads of other fora already and B3D won't provide anything extra special in that department, there's no reason to be open to new members just for that side of things. If there is tech stuff, perhaps some real RSX info say (Wii details likely won't emerge through anything but leaks and disections), then maybe we'd miss out on some new and worthwhile input which would be a shame, but how likely is that?

For me, it seems a choice between being a bit harsh in order to prevent the dismal trash-talking expected, or keeping a free and welcoming community and policing it to keep it in order. A two week lockdown doesn't seem unfair when the reasons why are communicated.

The console forums are in a pretty bad state of affairs.

One nice thing is the forum is now divided into General-Games-Tech. If we can get a "sticky" for media links then one could just avoid the unavoidable, "Killzone looks like the render targer" "Your a blind idiot" blah blah blah. Which is too bad, it would be nice to see some real dialogue and discussion, but seeing as we cannot get any now (and have devs being called idiots by red squares) I don't have high expectations.

Good luck I & V!

Acert93 said:
The console forums are in a pretty bad state of affairs.
Which is too bad, it would be nice to see some real dialogue and discussion, but seeing as we cannot get any now (and have devs being called idiots by red squares) I don't have high expectations.

See now, that really annoys me. Some posters are just not only not interested in a civil discussion, but not interested in a discussion at all. They've already "made their mind up" and nobody could convinced them at all for they can see the truth. Non-industry posters trying to talk down developers in HW threads is just utterly ridiculous. Moreover, some even attack the devs (DeanoC doesn't know what he's talking, etc.).
Another bothersome thing is bringing over conflicts from other fora which warrants a instant ban in my opinion. One guy attacked Titanio in one of his news thread that consisted of only a press release and the first response was more or less "You're rabid Sony whore! I saw you at some other forum". etc.

As a result, one can expect some more heated technological discussions to arise from the numerous technology related news that are disclosed during this period.

The keyword here is: technology. Be it Software or Hardware technology.

Sadly, a lot of folks do not comprehend the simple fact that the Beyond3D Forums are meant for the technology enthusiasts only.

Curious, but what's the role of the different Console forums now? We have Console Technology, so where do the others fit in if at all now? Under this concept, should not only Console Technology exist?

i.e. can we still talk about 'just' games?

(BTW, these kinds of rules should probably be permanently enforced! :)).

Last edited by a moderator:
I think discussion of games should have some technological relevance, as we (sort of) already have. We don't have the common talk like 'who's playing this game, how do you do such and such in this game' and so forth. Game discussion is invariably about image quality and animations (and how pee'd off we all are at the glut of CG 'trailers' :devilish: ) and gameplay, and that suits the rules. I see the tech board as more of a low level and hardware discussion, such as how to implement things we might see in a game. Console talk seems more of a catch all for debate on business, marketting, online strategies, and things without a technological element.

Yes, of course you can just talk about gameplay topics in the game forums, if you want.

It wasn't precised in this sticky because we wanted it to be as little ambiguous as possible.

And, yes these rules might be definitive. There's too many poster that add too litte to the technical discussion but yet participate.
Only the ones that cares for the technical side of things, in general (read, not only when it serves their fan person agenda), be it by posting new informations, opinions or by just asking questions, will be the welcome.

Reactions: Geo
Wow, the console forum is absolutely immaculate even today, after the whole Sony E3 conference... Vysez and the others are certainly doing a great job! Should ALWAYS be like this.

Oh, sure. . .but just wait until a 6 yr old gets banned for chewable Flintstones aspirin, and then see how you feel about it.

Oh, wait. Wrong Zero Tolerance policy.

london-boy said:
Wow, the console forum is absolutely immaculate even today, after the whole Sony E3 conference... Vysez and the others are certainly doing a great job! Should ALWAYS be like this.

Yeah, they're doing a great job during the nut-job week. Anyway big thanks to the mods, for keeping things almost civil.

Wait a second... Guden is banned?! :oops: He has a "Naughty Boy!" tag, meaning he's banned... Gee it really is a zero tolerance policy, he's one of the "good ones" usually...

Back