Temporal AA with SSAA

o.d.

Newcomer
Okay,

<disclaimer>
I am not an expert... :p :)
</disclaimer>

I know that temporal AA is very subjective, but I was wondering if this could be applied to SSAA to give us the texure aa'ing that we are missing from MSAA?

so....

1) can you do temporal AA with SSAA?

2) can 2x temporal AA be programmed to use the regular 4x AA pattern ( so that the two pixels on scene 1 and 2 pixels on scene 2 = the 4x aa pattern - I am not sure if this is currently what happens....)?

3) could this result in 4x SSAA at 2x SSAA performance hits?

I just miss aa'ed alpha textures.... :(

As long as ATI's super-sampling implementation has programmable sample patterns, like its multi-sampling, then it is very likely temporal AA will work with it.

:oops:

is there a reason they don't expose it (in windows)?

:?:

is there some registry hack I can do?!?

<emotional breakdown>
ALL I WANT IS MY SSAA!!! DAMN THE PERFORMANCE HIT!!!
</emotional breakdown>

o.d. said:
:oops:

is there a reason they don't expose it (in windows)?

:?:

is there some registry hack I can do?!?

<emotional breakdown>
ALL I WANT IS MY SSAA!!! DAMN THE PERFORMANCE HIT!!!
</emotional breakdown>
1) Performance, useful only in some older games
2) No

:(

well, maybe they could do a single sample pattern using temporal AA so you get 2x SSAA at no (or minimal) performance hit?

or am I just dreaming/grabbing at straws?

thanks for your time(s)

O.D.:

You could achieve texture filtering if you could 'tweak' the camera position/ post-projection screen transform matrix so that the whole image was moved over by a fraction of a pixel with each render.

In otherwords, implement a form of accumulation buffer rendering. I haven't got time to find the paper online but try searching for "The accumulation buffer: hardware support for high-quality rendering"

thanks got the ppt, but I couldn't get the pdf.

going through it quickly I realize the idea you are hinting at is way beyond me, but thanks anyway.

I will keep looking at this for the theory side, but basically I guess I (and everyone else?) is SOL with regards to SSAA on ATI in windows platform.

I am gonna ask CM to see about adding this to their drivers.... (you never know... )

peace

o.d. said:
thanks got the ppt, but I couldn't get the pdf.

going through it quickly I realize the idea you are hinting at is way beyond me, but thanks anyway.

I will keep looking at this for the theory side, but basically I guess I (and everyone else?) is SOL with regards to SSAA on ATI in windows platform.

I am gonna ask CM to see about adding this to their drivers.... (you never know... )

peace

You'll find a nice 10000 post thread over at rage3d asking for it, I believe CM has commented there. Well it's really only a few people asking and a lot of other crap.

Perhaps they will reconsider now that X800 can rip through most games at a pretty high framerate.

thanks.

started the thread there....

am I being just too excited over nothing or does the idea have merit at least?

talking about 1xSSAA with temporalx2 for somewhat free 2xSSAA look-a-like

o.d. said:
thanks.

started the thread there....

am I being just too excited over nothing or does the idea have merit at least?

talking about 1xSSAA with temporalx2 for somewhat free 2xSSAA look-a-like

Certainly there is merit, what it will come down to ATi is, how difficult is it to implement, how many and how much is the benefit. Is it worth the effort for them? I dunno, they have thought not in the past, perhaps things have changed with this new generation and the addition of T-FSAA.

"Temporal Supersampling", i.e. jittering the texture sample position/geometry per frame, is damn simple to implement. I was wondering why they haven't implemented it at least as an option yet. Sure, it looks horrendous when the frame rate drops. But so does temporal AA anyway. One problem is that you cannot really adjust the texture LOD, because you'd get shimmering in motion. And if you keep the LOD at the same level, texture quality gets slightly worse, most apparent on text. But it can fix alpha test edges.

ATI has stated that they do not implement the said feature because not many people submit it in the Catalyst Crew form as a requested feature. So, imho, instead of petitioning for it someplace where it doesn't matter, petition for it where it does: in the Catalyst Crew page :)

Heathen said:
Hey, who remembers what AA the R200 was supposed to have?

Now, would that have actually provided better IQ than today's version of Smoothvision?
Dunno. Don't think it was ever exposed (definitely wasn't in launch drivers--you might as well have slapped your monitor for AA)--maybe it was later, but I've never really been able to find out (God knows I'm not installing a R200). Now, theoretically, I guess it could provide better IQ--but, it never would in a real life situation because you'd be able to use higher levels of multisampling without the framerate drops that would kill IQ.

Back