Tekken 8 [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

Battle Arena Toshinden and Wipeout were pretty much my very first real life experiences with the PS1. I havent seen a PS1 in real life until I went to Saudi Arabia in 1996.

Those two games were audiovisual drugs for my brain. Never seen anything like it. They looked too good! So yeah before every other 3d fighting game experience that was my super impressive experience too.

My jaw dropped. Being able to sidestep and seeing the camera moving around those lavish 3D backgrounds and characters floored me.

These two games had to be my first games on PS1. When my dad got me a PS1 I just couldnt believe what I was experiencing.

Did you ever play Terracon back then? I dont think it was very popular, however its graphics where quite mindblowing in special considering it was practically running on 1994/1995 hardware. It was one of my first PS1 experiences.

Did you ever play Terracon back then? I dont think it was very popular, however its graphics where quite mindblowing in special considering it was practically running on 1994/1995 hardware. It was one of my first PS1 experiences.

Never played that game. It was released a bit late (2000)

By the time 2000 came around I was playing games like legend of dragoon(my FF7 moment), crash bash(a dollar store Mario party clone 😂) and already onto the next generation with Dreamcast largely speaking

🙏

As ps2 wasn't out yet, soul calibur 1 and dead or alive 2 were my big "this is next gen" moments.

Last edited:
I think it's a matter of needing to see more footage. I doubt anything has changed from like 3 months ago in terms of assets. But they are in different context than dark setting and rain everywhere. It also doesn't help that a lot of the trailer is also CGI not actual in game

They are very detailed characters it just that the way the characters skin is shaded still makes it looks cross gen.

Looks like first trailer was just marketing lie, game is not even on mk11 lever graphicaly.

Well they are meant to be stylized to begin with
Not fully though. Just slightly.
I am a bit underwhelmed with the shaders and lighting. Also the first trailer had less firework effects. Characters looked significantly more realistic on the first reveal. Everything looked real actually.

I am tired of the overblown "anime" bullshit. The older Tekkens had the perfect balance. They were more grounded. The first Trailer made me hopeful that the series returned back to its old artistic roots.

I am a bit underwhelmed with the shaders and lighting. Also the first trailer had less firework effects. Characters looked significantly more realistic on the first reveal. Everything looked real actually.

I am tired of the overblown "anime" bullshit. The older Tekkens had the perfect balance. They were more grounded. The first Trailer made me hopeful that the series returned back to its old artistic roots.
"Anime BS" has always been tekkens thing. Dunno what roots are being talked about.

I'm certain we will see the same scene from the state of play in the actual game. But that scene just showed off the skin shaders underneath Jin and kazuyas clothes more closely and the rain effects so it gave different impressions than the trailer without rain, in different environments and with clothes on

"Anime BS" has always been tekkens thing. Dunno what roots are being talked about.

I'm certain we will see the same scene from the state of play in the actual game. But that scene just showed off the skin shaders underneath Jin and kazuyas clothes more closely and the rain effects so it gave different impressions than the trailer without rain, in different environments and with clothes on

I think thats rose colored glasses based in nostalgia of another era. Like I said. Tekken is always overblown anime bs. cyborg ninjas, fighting dinosaurs and kangaroos, super powered devil people, wrestlers with jaguar masks who only say animal sounds, and giant mohawked androids all have been around since the very first games.

If they could have made it this flashy at the time they would have, it was a limitation of technology and nothing more. Tekken 4 is the only game that had a real deviation in tone, and then Tekken 5 went even further with the previous status quo as people at the time hated Tekken 4s changes.

I'm not gonna say Tekken 6 or 7 were perfect, but they absolutely were a logical continuation of series status quo sillyness and Tekken 8 seems to go there as well based on the small snippets we have.

My main concern about the game is the features and modes present in the game, rollback netcode and the story being told in semi legible fashion this time 😂

Back