Tekken 8 [XBSX|S, PC, PS5]

I am dying for a demo of a super impressive fighting game running on U5.
I havent been impressed with a fighting game's visuals since PS2.
It used to be a visual showcase up until the 128bit era. Tekken was impressive until TTT on PS2, T4 the most. After that it got basic!

I miss the excitement I used to have with a fighting game release

Yeah fighting games were like tech demos. I remember when I saw soul calibur ( or soul edge was it called) on dreamcast. I almost pissed myself.

Dead or alive 3 (extreme), that was next level at the time of its release. Nothing else came close graphics wise. Advantage of fighting games you can push the visuals higher.

I am dying for a demo of a super impressive fighting game running on U5.
I havent been impressed with a fighting game's visuals since PS2.
It used to be a visual showcase up until the 128bit era. Tekken was impressive until TTT on PS2, T4 the most. After that it got basic!

I miss the excitement I used to have with a fighting game release
Fighting games were 3d benchmarks, vf1 automats, vf2 sega saturn, tekken 3 psx, then vf3 on automats, soul calibur on dreamcast and ttt on ps2 that was peak I would say. Only good looking modern fighting games is mortal kombat 11, good new tekken is so promising.

Good Times

My very first videogame magazine had the first images of VF3. That was truly impressive! I wanted so badly to see it in motion.
I just couldnt believe the graphics. Immediately the article was assuming a possible release with an add on on the Sega Saturn. I had just bought my PS1 and I was wondering if I made the wrong purchase
The first footage I saw was a few seconds from the UK video game program Cybernet which I LOVED!

My very first videogame magazine had the first images of VF3. That was truly impressive! I wanted so badly to see it in motion.
I just couldnt believe the graphics. Immediately the article was assuming a possible release with an add on on the Sega Saturn. I had just bought my PS1 and I was wondering if I made the wrong purchase
The first footage I saw was a few seconds from the UK video game program Cybernet which I LOVED!

Damn I had such a similar experience and same doubts. I remember when I first saw VF3 on arcade machine running real time. Damn that was magical.

I thought I was a boomer 😂

Most comments in the thread are not technical in nature. Rather based on vague feelings of wanting to be "suprised" by graphics and capture similar emotions toward something like when they were kids or much younger..despite diminishing returns being a thing being half the issue, and the other issue being the nostalgia of a specific time period that can't really be beaten.

Speaking objectively, Tekken 8 and Street fighter 6 are huge leaps from their predecessors without a doubt and impressive no matter you look at it.

Tekken7 reused assets like soul calibur 5 and 6 because it was something that always worked previously for fighting games, and because the budget was especially low due to Tekken tag 2s relative commercial failure.

Now that there is more confidence in Tekken due to it coming back strong, they are willing to put a lot into it which shows I think with what we have seen so far. Lighting, asset quality, character models all look really good.

Same with street fighter 6 which comes after the lower budgeted sf5 and the studios relative lack of experience with unreal, but RE engine is fully picking up the slack. Street fighter 6 is coming out on PS4 and Xbox one and looks a generation ahead of sf5 in most respects.

I get it. Going from soul blade to soul calibur, dead or alive 1 on ps1 to DOA 2 on dreamcast were huge leaps in fighting game technology.

But that was also because there was much less investment needed in them back in those days to push for advancement. But even in modern times we can still strides like this when we look at guilty gear accent core to Xrd to strive. They really made 2D sprite based anime fighting games irrelevant in unreal engine which is still impressive to me

that game would Battle Arena Toshinden on the PC for me, but when my best RL friend got Soul Blade for his PS2 I lived one of those I can't believe my eyes moment. The music was sublime too. That era was one of amazement.

Last edited:
@Inuhanyou well this is the gaming forum, not in the technical forum, so it is pretty more open to expressing about personal experiences and expectations :)
That's fair. I was just ranting unreasonably 😂 because I can't understand how anyone can look at this game and say it's unimpressive compared to what came before.

It's a big leap in fidelity. I am concerned about things like rollback and features in the game rather than the graphically fidelity in game which looks great even on first official showing, and they will only refine and improve till launch.

I think the only time I felt actually underwhelmed by Tekken graphics on reveal was Tekken 6 with that weird realtime trailer

But I guess I was also biased because they tricked everyone into thinking PS3 was going to deliver CGI level quality visuals and character models we are only seeing now with this trailer

I remember being so pissed 😂
Of course I calmed down by launch of the game but still that trailer was such a let down. Tekken 6 still looks decent even today blown up to higher resolution, the character models are still much more detailed than Tekken 7s.

But that is probably down to the teams inexperience with unreal engine. It's hard to believe Tekken 7 came out in 2015, the console versions were a minor minor visual update with excessive amounts of film grain and chromatic aberration caked all over the screen 🤢🤮 it didn't help that PS4 is 900p and Xbox one is 720p which makes the game look super blurry on top of that

that game would Battle Arena Toshinden on the PC, but when my best RL friend got Soul Blade for his PS2 I lived one of those I can't believe my eyes moment. The music was sublime too. That era was one of amazement.
Soul blade was on PS1 though...not ps2? Soul calibur 2 was on PS2 though. Battle arena toshinden was my first experience with a 3D fighter on ps1...I remember Christmas day 1996, getting my PS1 and a demo disc with a Demo of toshinden on it... great times

Soul blade was on PS1 though...not ps2? Soul calibur 2 was on PS2 though. Battle arena toshinden was my first experience with a 3D fighter on ps1...I remember Christmas day 1996, getting my PS1 and a demo disc with a Demo of toshinden on it... great times
that might be correct. I know my best friend got a PS2 after the PS1, and I played Soul Blade on one of those, don't remember which. We spent loads of hours playing that game, it was soooo fun and completely impressive.

that might be correct. I know my best friend got a PS2 after the PS1, and I played Soul Blade on one of those, don't remember which. We spent loads of hours playing that game, it was soooo fun and completely impressive.
Ps2 was bc with ps1 games so I guess it makes sense to get it confused 😂

Soul Edge/Blade was on PS1 yes, but it was followed by Soul Calibur 1 on the Dreamcast. SC2 and 3 were on PS2. I suppose thats why you got confused ;)

That's fair. I was just ranting unreasonably 😂 because I can't understand how anyone can look at this game and say it's unimpressive compared to what came before.

It's a big leap in fidelity. I am concerned about things like rollback and features in the game rather than the graphically fidelity in game which looks great even on first official showing, and they will only refine and improve till launch.

I think the only time I felt actually underwhelmed by Tekken graphics on reveal was Tekken 6 with that weird realtime trailer

But I guess I was also biased because they tricked everyone into thinking PS3 was going to deliver CGI level quality visuals and character models we are only seeing now with this trailer

I remember being so pissed 😂
Of course I calmed down by launch of the game but still that trailer was such a let down. Tekken 6 still looks decent even today blown up to higher resolution, the character models are still much more detailed than Tekken 7s.

But that is probably down to the teams inexperience with unreal engine. It's hard to believe Tekken 7 came out in 2015, the console versions were a minor minor visual update with excessive amounts of film grain and chromatic aberration caked all over the screen 🤢🤮 it didn't help that PS4 is 900p and Xbox one is 720p which makes the game look super blurry on top of that
Oh T8 raised our hopes. I cant wait! And yes I wish they bring us proper and rich content because 7 was underwhelming with featured and modes.

T6 was too underwhelming with its visuals and I was not a fun of some of the gameplay mechanics either

that game would Battle Arena Toshinden on the PC for me, but when my best RL friend got Soul Blade for his PS2 I lived one of those I can't believe my eyes moment. The music was sublime too. That era was one of amazement.
Battle Arena Toshinden and Wipeout were pretty much my very first real life experiences with the PS1. I havent seen a PS1 in real life until I went to Saudi Arabia in 1996.

Those two games were audiovisual drugs for my brain. Never seen anything like it. They looked too good! So yeah before every other 3d fighting game experience that was my super impressive experience too.

My jaw dropped. Being able to sidestep and seeing the camera moving around those lavish 3D backgrounds and characters floored me.

These two games had to be my first games on PS1. When my dad got me a PS1 I just couldnt believe what I was experiencing.

Back