Technical Game Engine Comparisons: non-subjective *OffTopic Cleanup Spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Do not inline massive pictures. This is not the thread for that.***

The textures of Horizon lose their quality quickly and it looks very gamey (Mass Effect: Andromeda like) in comparsion to that

Lol, you took the worse examples and possibly with temporary lod issues.

In more comparable environnements, the situation is rather like that :

https://img2.n3rdabl3.co.uk/wp-content/images/uploads/2017/03/xTkbghM.jpg

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....945/F1B414FA4BB7D36553F15D3C2B5B5A95BF483A47/

The draw distance, although less impressive than in most of UBi games is still nice : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2017/12/1490541414-horizon-zero-dawn-tm-20170326093727.png

With sharp details in the distance : https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C69PaZeXEAAk8HB.jpg:large

There are a few engines at UBISoft, Prince of Persia turned Assassin's Creed turned Ghost Recon Wildlands turned Steep, usually referred to as AC engine (Scimitar/Anvil...), Far Cry engine, and SnowDrop engine.
There's also UbiArt Framework & its derivative BGE2 engine (Forgot its name was it infinity or something sounding large/big like that).
I think I'm missing one more, besides Brigitte the VR engine used for Space Junkies.

Ghost Recon has a procedural based terrain engine made in Houdini.

There are a few engines at UBISoft, Prince of Persia turned Assassin's Creed turned Ghost Recon Wildlands turned Steep, usually referred to as AC engine (Scimitar/Anvil...), Far Cry engine, and SnowDrop engine.
There's also UbiArt Framework & its derivative BGE2 engine (Forgot its name was it infinity or something sounding large/big like that).
I think I'm missing one more, besides Brigitte the VR engine used for Space Junkies.

Ghost Recon has a procedural based terrain engine made in Houdini.

Also Far Cry uses the Dunia Engine which was originally CryEngine (the original CryTek developed Far Cry). They've kept the engine, but have branched it off and modified it to their needs, hence Dunia Engine.

Regards,
SB

The God of War poison easily:), the lighting and effects are a notch beyond and not to mention everything looks the same quality.
Wildlands is inconsistent as hell, it has the scale and density but the models and assets look garbage tier.

It was already said frequently from you that Ratchet and Clank would have the best graphics of all games.
That's amazing when one consider its angular extremly low poly assets which look bad even at a large distance for a last gen game. And thats a linear singleplayer game.
Assets.jpg

BATTLEFRONT from 2015 looks better than all these titles and that runs on PC in UHD/60fps while God of War has 23fps in important action scenes. The assets and textures in BATTLEFRONT are also clearly superior thanks to photogrammetry and via vehicles one can move very quickly in the game. In Wildlands one can even fly by helicopter into a dense jungle environment with a lot of physics while Horizon and God Of War would totally collapse at such speeds. Compared to Wildlands on Ultra settings these games have no high end effects which can be seen. Thats because they must run on 1,8 TF hardware while Wildlands is developed for 10 TF hardware in mind. Otherwise I can't explain to myself that everything below Ultra has graphically too big compromises. God of War seems to have no high-end effects and mostly years old standard stuff that almost every modern game has in 2018. If such standard effects like GPU particles were praised one would have had to explode in Crysis and Crysis 2 back then. Crysis from 2011 still has effects like soft shadows where even today and seven years later no SONY AAA game has something like that. In addition there are clear pop ups in 5 meters distance which I find a bit embarrassing when a game is hyped like this because of the graphics. In such a title as The Division I don't see LOD changes on PC even when I zoom into the picture on a 65 inch TV. Apparently the LOD doesn't arrive until 30 meters which God of War has at 5 meters.

The developers of God of War are targeting CBR UHD even when performance is going badly. Any reasonable developer would go down with the resolution.

The aim of CBR UHD at 23fs is simply illogical.

Last edited:
It was already said frequently from you that Ratchet and Clank would have the best graphics of all games.
That's amazing when one consider its angular extremly low poly assets which look bad even at a large distance for a last gen game. And thats a linear singleplayer game.
View attachment 2542

BATTLEFRONT from 2015 looks better than all these titles and that runs on PC in UHD/60fps while God of War has 23fps in important action scenes. The assets and textures in BATTLEFRONT are also clearly superior thanks to photogrammetry and via vehicles one can move very quickly in the game. In Wildlands one can even fly by helicopter into a dense jungle environment with a lot of physics while Horizon and God Of War would totally collapse at such speeds. Compared to Wildlands on Ultra settings these games have no high end effects which can be seen. Thats because they must run on 1,8 TF hardware while Wildlands is developed for 10 TF hardware in mind. Otherwise I can't explain to myself that everything below Ultra has graphically too big compromises. God of War seems to have no high-end effects and mostly years old standard stuff that almost every modern game has in 2018. If such standard effects like GPU particles were praised one would have had to explode in Crysis and Crysis 2 back then. Crysis from 2011 still has effects like soft shadows where even today and seven years later no SONY AAA game has something like that. In addition there are clear pop ups in 5 meters distance which I find a bit embarrassing when a game is hyped like this because of the graphics. In such a title as The Division I don't see LOD changes on PC even when I zoom into the picture on a 65 inch TV. Apparently the LOD doesn't arrive until 30 meters which God of War has at 5 meters.

The developers of God of War are targeting CBR UHD even when performance is going badly. Any reasonable developer would go down with the resolution.

:rolleyes: Photogrammetry is an artistic choice God of war or Horizon don't use it because they don't need it. Kojima Productions use photogrammetry with the Decima Engine because they want photorealistic art direction in death Stranding. For God of War maybe we will have a patch in the future for the framerate...;)

Another things Sony Santa Monica is not the most talented technical team of SCEWWS, they are an artistic focused team for the visual. They said themselve to digitafoundry...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-sony-santa-monica-mastered-the-ps3

Of course photogrammetry alone is not an argument. However, when its combined and associated with the sharpness of the ambient textures from BATTLEFRONT, the outstanding surface quality can be recognized. When photogrammetry is used games usually have very good environment textures.

Of course photogrammetry alone is not an argument. However, when its combined and associated with the sharpness of the ambient textures from BATTLEFRONT, the outstanding surface quality can be recognized. When photogrammetry is used games usually have very good environment textures.

The most impressive things I have seen if it is really realtime cutscene is The Last of us 2 PGW trailer... But if it is realtime I hope the same gap in gameplay will be find between UC4 cutscene and TLOU2 PGW trailer... From what told an animator working for Naughty Dog the gap between Uncharted 4 and TLOU 2 is huge...

View attachment 2542

So here's 10 TF of pure terror where a 1.8 TF console would "collapse" trying to run it.
grw_preview_screenshot_h_1485218133-100705686-orig.jpg

qotis2enx3k6lrdmofmg.jpg

And here's from a 1.8 TF PS4 devoid of any high end effects that constantly living in the terror of a 10 TF monster next door.
41556894101_7aae0d5e7a_o.png

40845643374_258dc60507_o.png

Maybe 10 very inflated flops :)?

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_ratchet_clank_ps4_pro_gameplay_1_1080p-38591_en.html : here's why people consider Ratchet and Clank as one the best looking game on the market.

BATTLEFRONT from 2015 looks better than all these titles and that runs on PC in UHD/60fps while God of War has 23fps in important action scenes. The assets and textures in BATTLEFRONT are also clearly superior thanks to photogrammetry and via vehicles one can move very quickly in the game.

Dice games on PC at max settings are the only games that can compete graphically with Sony exclusives in my opinion.

But far superior assets ? :

Not to mention the far lower model rendering in Battlefront :

Also, in more traditional games such as Mirror Edge, Dice work is less convincing.

We already talked about Wildlands : amazing draw distance, very detailed, but it fails on the most important thing = asset quality. Overall, the game looks good but far from exceptionnal (even on PC at max settings).

As long as developers will not specifically aim high end PC, they will fail to match the most impressive Sony exclusives.

All 3P games are held back by the lowest common denominator that are the Xbox One and weak PC. Some higher quality shadows and better AF on PC won't change this fundamental fact.

Last edited:
http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_ratchet_clank_ps4_pro_gameplay_1_1080p-38591_en.html : here's why people consider Ratchet and Clank as one the best looking game on the market.

Dice games on PC at max settings are the only games that can compete graphically with Sony exclusives in my opinion.

But far superior assets ? :

Not to mention the far lower model rendering in Battlefront :

Also, in more traditional games such as Mirror Edge, Dice work is less convincing.

We already talked about Wildands : amazing draw distance, very detailed, but it fails on the most important thing = asset quality. Overall, the game looks good but far from exceptionnal (even on PC at max settings).

character are awful in Battlefront...

This is a typical problem in Ubisoft games and only The Division has what i consider good and consistent asset quality. But their games are still very impressive from a technical standpoint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back