Switch 2 Speculation

I would very much like if the next instalment of The Legend of Zelda were 60FPS, so it wouldn't be useless to me or the 30 million others who bought the games :)
I mean, for games that already 60fps, it's useless due to the screen probably only 60hz.

For games that are 30fps, also useless due to fg artifacts became more obvious.

But if Nintendo go out of their normal way of optimizing cost/price and use high refresh rate screen, sure fg would be good.

I mean, for games that already 60fps, it's useless due to the screen probably only 60hz.

For games that are 30fps, also useless due to fg artifacts became more obvious.

But if Nintendo go out of their normal way of optimizing cost/price and use high refresh rate screen, sure fg would be good.
Yeah sorry, I know now what you meant by fg ...

I just want a beefier SoC so the demanding games can run at 60FPS or better 😅

October 24, 2023
Without naming it, the head of the American branch spoke about the future of the company, with the next generation of consoles from the Japanese manufacturer. And inevitably, the question of backwards compatibility comes back up, with players worried about the possibility of losing their precious retro games.

The head of Nintendo America declined to comment on rumors that the Switch 2 will be as powerful as a PS5, but the idea of two next-gen models continues to swell among gamers. However, only one Switch would be backwards compatible. Expected for September 2024, the Switch 2 could opt for a lower-cost version, deprived of compatibility with the company's older games. Like the PlayStation 5 digital edition and Xbox Series S, which lack a disc drive, a version of the Switch 2 could only focus on digital games, without a cartridge drive. A more accessible model, but one that could not accommodate the physical cartridges of the first Nintendo Switch.

Last week, in an interview with the American media Inverse, Doug Bowser offered a glimmer of hope to gamers by confirming the importance of ensuring the transition to the next generation of consoles. "In the past, every device we transitioned to had a completely new account system. The creation of the Nintendo Account will allow us to communicate with our players, if and when we transition to a new platform, in order to facilitate that process or transition."

According to Doug Bowser, Nintendo's goal with its Switch 2 would be to reverse the trend, avoiding the phenomenon of loss of compatibility usually seen at the end of a platform's life cycle. To achieve this, the implementation of a cross-generational account system should go a long way towards simplifying the bridges between the manufacturer's different platforms, in this case between the Switch and the console that will succeed it.

Tl;dr is a lot of what has already been discussed here, plus an "FDE" - File Decompression Engine which seems new to me or I missed that before. Generally temper expectations with performance, output res, target clocks (probably not much higher than current switch) etc as it is a low power handheld. I agree with the no 4k if we're talking current gen cross platform games but if it's Switch ports I'd expect it to be able to hit 4k (lots of Nintendo's first party titles are 1080p docked from memory). Various questions remain like battery life, hardware back-compat, physical form etc.

If you had to guess, what will Nintendo want to prioritise graphics next gen? Will they target 4k and minor fidelity improvements, 1080p, an upscaled 1440p + fidelity middle ground? Or maybe target 4k with DRS having the end result be whatever the game chooses for maximum flexibility

Could this be the most forward-looking hardware design from Nintendo since the GameCube?
This is definitely their first big home console upgrade in a single gen since the GC, Switch was (for Nintendo) maybe 2 or even 3 gens compared to the 3DS. Hopefully that forward thinking extends to some form of backwards compatibility/digital library continuity instead of their Switch approach of "No". You can do it Nintendo, I believe in you

Basically i always say to shoot low for nintendo hardware. They're cheap. However the Switch was pretty good by Nintendo standards given the portable aspect and timeframe.

It's always a cycle with Nintendo hardware. Fanboys overestimate it prior to release out of wishful thinking. I remember Neogaf (?) convinced themselves Wii U would be closer to Xbox One than Xbox One would be too PS4.

Part of me is kind of surprised how aggressive the Switch 2 hardware seems to be (pending many big open questions).

Just simplifying it to Flops, the Switch 2 at the 750mhz in DF video would be around 2.3 TF? That should help give some ballpark here. Regardless that is a hefty jump over Switch 1, which I think is ~236 portable or ~400 docked. Then you have DLSS and whatever other goodies may help it punch above weight.

I'm fairly excited about Switch 2 personally. If you figure still 4+ years of PS5/XSX, they can close that power gap a lot before the successors reopen it. I have been having a renewed interest in handhelds myself with all the Chinese retro handhelds out there.

I'm very interested in Mario Wonder to the point of considering buying a Switch for one title, but also am reticent with Switch 2 rumored to be so near. So I think some sort of BC is a must here. I would rather wait for Switch 2 and get Wonder on that.

One things for sure, anything less than $500 (I presume 399) and you wont be able to get hold of one easily for years.

Basically i always say to shoot low for nintendo hardware. They're cheap. However the Switch was pretty good by Nintendo standards given the portable aspect and timeframe.

It's always a cycle with Nintendo hardware. Fanboys overestimate it prior to release out of wishful thinking. I remember Neogaf (?) convinced themselves Wii U would be closer to Xbox One than Xbox One would be too PS4.

Part of me is kind of surprised how aggressive the Switch 2 hardware seems to be (pending many big open questions).

Just simplifying it to Flops, the Switch 2 at the 750mhz in DF video would be around 2.3 TF? That should help give some ballpark here. Regardless that is a hefty jump over Switch 1, which I think is ~236 portable or ~400 docked. Then you have DLSS and whatever other goodies may help it punch above weight.

I'm fairly excited about Switch 2 personally. If you figure still 4+ years of PS5/XSX, they can close that power gap a lot before the successors reopen it. I have been having a renewed interest in handhelds myself with all the Chinese retro handhelds out there.

I'm very interested in Mario Wonder to the point of considering buying a Switch for one title, but also am reticent with Switch 2 rumored to be so near. So I think some sort of BC is a must here. I would rather wait for Switch 2 and get Wonder on that.

One things for sure, anything less than $500 (I presume 399) and you wont be able to get hold of one easily for years.
Man I'm surprised you're excited about a Switch 2 without having ever bought a Switch 1. Not to dissuade you from your hype or anything here, but if you're a Nintendo fan at all, I dont know anybody who hasn't already bought a Switch by now. It's the best Nintendo platform since the SNES.

I think backwards compatibility is an absolute given(99%), but I think you should also be prepared that Nintendo is NOT going to upgrade all their old games, even more recent ones, for Switch 2. Good rule of thumb with Nintendo is - dont expect them to do more than the bare minimum on a technical level. Sometimes they do, but usually they dont.

As for it being sold out for years if it's under $500 - that's a very bizarre assumption. :/

Rich at DF did an extensive piece on the speculated T239 chip for the Switch 2. Great read:

There's an accompanying video:

Solid work, at least much better than the screaming fanbois. Something like the ROG Ally might be on the higher end of possibilities if it was based on Ada, but it's Nintendo so Ampere is just as likely.

I can also totally see Nvidia plugging this into a 65w power supply and claiming it can run The Matrix Awakens demo just fine see! Instead a more Steam Deck like level of performance is likely. Kind of a shame it's not the ROG Ally performance target if so, you can run Alan Wake 2 at low/720p on that thing.

If it can run on Series S at 60, it can run on Switch 2 at 30. Which, well, isn't bad.

I do wonder at a 120hz screen. Those are ridiculously cheap now and a VR headset accessory would be a Nintendo thing to do, they were experimenting with it all the way back with the original Switch.

I wonder what the new gimmick will be. Wii was the motion control, wii u the tablet, switch the dock (for a portable console). I doubt the next console will just be a more powerful switch.

I wonder what the new gimmick will be. Wii was the motion control, wii u the tablet, switch the dock (for a portable console). I doubt the next console will just be a more powerful switch.

There's a patent that looks like it could be force feedback for the thumb sticks. And a rumor putting cameras on the back for AR stuff. IE Why only have one thing when you can have multiple?

There's a patent that looks like it could be force feedback for the thumb sticks. And a rumor putting cameras on the back for AR stuff. IE Why only have one thing when you can have multiple?
I personally do not think Nintendo needs a new gimmick to succeed. Wii U had a neat gimmick (at least on paper) and yet fell flat on it’s face. I’d rather they keep the Switch formula with general enhancements. Im mostly hoping for the following:

-Smaller bezels
-Hall effect Joycons with bigger buttons
-Aluminum body (at least for higher end SKU)
-OLED option at launch (probably not happening but it’s just a wishlist)
-Bigger screen (at least 7”)

I personally do not think Nintendo needs a new gimmick to succeed. Wii U had a neat gimmick (at least on paper) and yet fell flat on it’s face. I’d rather they keep the Switch formula with general enhancements. Im mostly hoping for the following:

-Smaller bezels
-Hall effect Joycons with bigger buttons
-Aluminum body (at least for higher end SKU)
-OLED option at launch (probably not happening but it’s just a wishlist)
-Bigger screen (at least 7”)

I would had perfect back compatibility, so we can enjoy the latest Mario in glorious 4k with a patch.

Won't aluminium body would make the device easier to dent and scratch than plastic?

Although to be fair the plastic used by the current switch itself also way less scratch resistant than the joycon...

Won't aluminium body would make the device easier to dent and scratch than plastic?

Although to be fair the plastic used by the current switch itself also way less scratch resistant than the joycon...
Aluminium feels so much more premium you'll be more careful with it

Back