Super Touch Screen

heh lovely. well, i bought final scratch instead of such a screen for djing. :D but it would be lovely to scratch on the screen, hehe.

i really like the "handmade rotozoom" effect, when ever you zoom in or out, as you normally don't draw perfect lines it gives a bit of rotation. looks really.. unknown.

since the early days of pc i thought about being able to just plug in another mouse, to be able to do two things at the same time. 3d apps would benefit greatly. as would a lot of other apps.

this is even more extending to my thought. (but mine would be very cheap to implement. just get another usb mouse, the rest is all about the software.. sadly, windows doesn't allow that..)

The squeeze inward to make smaller and pull outward to make bigger is SO FREAKING INTUITIVE!

And i'd definitely try a dual-mouse thing...

Damn, I think we just saw the future there... OMG. :)

Then again, as I recall, I think there was some manipulation stuff like that back in good ol' Johnny Mnemonic with a (then) very wooden Keanu Reeves (and an extremely cool Dolph Lundgren ;)).

Interfaces like these are sure to appear in mass production within the next ten years at most I think, and probably much sooner. That generation of kids growing up with screens and human interfaces like that are going to think the old mouse is very very quaint indeed. :D Add some real voice recognition and stuff, and Star Trek LCARS is pretty much a reality, heh!

i'm interested in what the differences to an ordinary touchscreen are, technically.

i'd really love to have one.. espencially for video-editing, and dj'ing, this would really be a HUGE step forward in usability.

or, in our club, the whole lighting system could definitely get a much nicer userinterface with such hardware..

this, combined with bendable, foldable screens that are transparent if needed, and, once "shut down" store the last image (or a user-choosen image) in the e-paper version of it's pixels, to take with you, just roll out, and work with.. thats about how far i can stretch my mind.

together with a cellphone like portable that works like a toolbox (another nice user interface, the next step after the mouse) and has all the power of todays highest end pc's in. both of them connectable to use the rollable touchscreen as screen for this cellphone device.

that'll mean i'll go in a club, walk up to the podium, roll out my screen, put my cellphone on it, and voilà, i can start with the music. all stored on the phone, of course..

or so it could be, one day.. :D

Video comes from here.
Very reminicent of Minority Report/Matrix interfaces, can't remember enough of Johnny Mnemonic to link it.
Also: That is really super stuff :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh. Somehow I don't think a touch screen would be very good for the majority of action games (would be great for strategy games, though). But I think the greatest thing for this display would be actual work. With a good UI, this sort of thing would be awesome for managing lots of windows at a time (though I'd definitely not want to dump the keyboard just yet).

Really cool toy but there are some major drawbacks. So I still think there's plenty of uses for a mouse left.

If you haven't read the comments, here's the inventor: http://mrl.nyu.edu/~jhan/

The image is back projected on an acrylic plate. This plate is illuminated with IR from the side. When you touch it, you break the total internal reflection, and your finger is lit up as seen from a webcam on the back side.

Because of the back projection it gets bulky and expensive. The actual touch sensing is cheap though. Well, apart from the extra PC that is dedicatd to extracting information from the webcam. But that might be possible to do on the same PC as the application is running on.

Because of the webcam, it's pretty low-res. 0.1" on a 36"x27" screen. But a finger is a rather blunt pointer anyway. So you can't make it much better unless you introduce a "mouse pointer" on screen, that you control with your finger just below it. But that will go away from the the intuitive "click directly with your fingers"-interface. Because you would need to first touch the screen slightly to see where it puts the pointer, and then (after fine adjusting) press a bit harder to perform the click. And you wouldn't put your finger directly at the point you want to click.

Then there's of course more problems
* Your hands/arms are in the way.
* You're greasing up the screen.
* It's hard to make an arm rest.
* It's best for ergonomy to work with you hands on a close to horizontal surface, but you get the best view of a large display if it's close to vertical.

So basically a really cool toy. But it could be useful for some applications where you don't need to click at stuff with high precision. A mixer table do come in mind as a place where it could be useful.

Now give me a second mouse.

Basic said:
Because of the back projection it gets bulky and expensive. The actual touch sensing is cheap though. Well, apart from the extra PC that is dedicatd to extracting information from the webcam. But that might be possible to do on the same PC as the application is running on.

Enter the multicore CPU .

Surely it can't take that much computation to do that that it requires a second PC?
A production version would surely include a higher res camera with the hardware needed to compute whats needed.

Grease all over the screen is indeed a big problem with it :???: particlarly when its someone elses grease...

Well, there are two easy solutions to grease:
1. Clean it all the damned time.
2. Wear thin gloves.

Personally, I like the second choice.

You'd only need small plastic caps on your fingertips. But still there are the problems Basic mentioned: your arms cover the screen and it's not very ergonomic. I think it could sometimes even work better if screen and touch surface were separate.

I'm not so fond of the idea to need gloves to use the computer. But it would also solve a different problem.

A touch screen doesn't have as many buttons as mouse. You can't do left-click or right-click on a touch screen. But with gloves, you could have a different symbol on each finger tip. That way it would be easy to identify different kinds of clicks. And with a symbol on the palm of your hand it could measure distance to the finger tip to make a difference between clicks with bent or extended finger.

And I agree with Xmas that separate screen and touch surface could be better. Like a huge touchpad in front of the keyboard. Or maybe let the keyboard be a part of touchpad. But NOT like in the movie. A standard layout keyboard without tactile feedback would be horrible to use. So either a new layout where position relative the palm of your hand determine what key it is (you could actually have different keys at the same spot depending on what finger you use). Or have physical low profile keys that you put on the touchpad. And when you press them, you press a symbol to the glass.

davepermen:
There are several different kinds of touch screens. Here's some.
Capacitive
5-wire resistive
4-wire resistive (and 8-wire)
...and short info about some other

They all have in common that they can't handle multiple touch points. Well, some of them can handle more than one in theory, but not in a generic way like the above screen.

Xmas said:
You'd only need small plastic caps on your fingertips. But still there are the problems Basic mentioned: your arms cover the screen and it's not very ergonomic. I think it could sometimes even work better if screen and touch surface were separate.
I think gloves would be more comfortable. And you could just go with light cotton gloves or somesuch, no need for anything bulky. Just keep the oils away from the display. Now, as for arms covering the display, that's not really an issue. Consider how people write or draw.

Chalnoth said:
I think gloves would be more comfortable. And you could just go with light cotton gloves or somesuch, no need for anything bulky. Just keep the oils away from the display. Now, as for arms covering the display, that's not really an issue. Consider how people write or draw.

The other thing is that one could also have that as the work screen and have a bigger non-touch screen OLED or LCD as the display screen . Great for group presentations and will also keep the hands and arms out of the way .

Last edited by a moderator:
Chalnoth said:
Now, as for arms covering the display, that's not really an issue. Consider how people write or draw.

Tell that to a left handed person writing. I've seen many left handed persons holding the hand and pen in a very strange position, just so they can see the text the've just written. And painters holding way up un the shaft of the brush so they don't hide the painting.

Also remember that when you're writing or painting, the image is completely static except at the tip of your pen/brush. So you can remember how the rest of the image looks. With a computer comes more advanced functions, and for instance moving a control point in a paint program could change a large area of the screen (of which a big part could be hidden by your arm).

Look at when he's manipulating that checkered cow. Aren't his arms in the way there?

Back