Suggest ideas to make F1 more competetive... :D

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Here are mine..... ;)

First of all, Ferrari has virtually killed the excitement in F1, they have been so dominating like Americans are in American football.... :LOL: , here are some steps FIA could take....

1) Both Ferraris should not be allowed to take part in qualifying, both start race from last 2 positions with MS at the end.

2) Both Ferraris must do one pitstop extra than other drivers.

3) Ferrari could share its tech know-how with other teams.

4) MS leaves Ferrari and Joins Minardi.

5) Other teams figure out how to build fast, relaible cars that don't fail el masse as well as how to hire and retain star drivers.

Geeforcer said:
5) Other teams figure out how to build fast, relaible cars that don't fail el masse as well as how to hire and retain star drivers.

Yes Williams are particularly guilty of not paying for good drivers and letting them go. Mercedes are guilty of making crap(in design and power) engines(especially these last 2 years).

The onus ain't with the FIA or Ferrari, but with the other manufacturers to build better and faster cars.

US

IMO Ferrari is an issue. During the years they were down they frequently used to threaten to pull out - this paniced the FIA every time they made these noises as the Ferrari brand name pulls in quite a lot of viewers and has a certain cache with it. There was a point where the other teams were effectively paying a "Ferrari tax" - the rest of the teams were paying the FIA money which directly went back into keeping Ferrari in F1.

I'm not sure if the Ferrari tax is still going (I damn well hope not) but Ferrari still has too much sway with the FIA. The situation they are in now makes things worse as the two sponcers are willing to shell (no pun) out to be associated with that Ferrari brand which leaves everyone at a fraction of the Ferrari budget.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do short of some ridiculous rules to hamstring Ferrari and Schumacher in particular. They have the best car, the best driver, the best name and the most money, and that's why they win. They've shown over the last few years that no matter how much the rules are fiddled with, the best team comes to the fore.

I'm no fan of Shumacher or Ferrari, but I have to grudgingly admit they they keep winning because they perform better than the other teams. Just taking into account their reliability, they finish more races than anyone else. I guess what I am saying here is that it's the other teams that are lacking, and that's what allowing Ferrari to dominate.

Schumaker won't keep winning forever you know. At some point he's going to have to hang up his driving gloves and claim his Bus Pass. Dominance in F1 is cyclical, like so many other sports. No one team can keep winning forever.

I've never been a massive fan of F1, but I do have a passing interest, and I did used to watch every race in the season a decade or so ago. So in a sense I'm the kind of customer F1 is likely trying to attract.

IMO F1 is boring not so much because of the dominance of one team, it's more the races themselves. Seems to me pretty much that whoever's in pole will more than likely go on to win. A Grand Prix seemed more like a high-speed procession than a race.

All the nancy rule changes didn't help either, it smacked of a "fix".

Schumacher is one factor, despite his titles he still seems to be one of the most dedicated and hardest working drivers in the F1 landscape. Besides that, I think some of this season's changes were going into the right direction. Reducing the cost asociated with developing and maintaining the cars throughout the season should make the budget less of a concern. This should be one of the biggest priorities. F1 is way too expensive for its own good and cutting down on cost, along with a couple other rule modifications, should help make it more competitive the next years.

Then again, that's what they've been trying the past 2 years and see who came out on top...

Gollum said:
Schumacher is one factor, despite his titles he still seems to be one of the most dedicated and hardest working drivers in the F1 landscape. Besides that, I think some of this season's changes were going into the right direction. Reducing the cost asociated with developing and maintaining the cars throughout the season should make the budget less of a concern. This should be one of the biggest priorities. F1 is way too expensive for its own good and cutting down on cost, along with a couple other rule modifications, should help make it more competitive the next years.

Then again, that's what they've been trying the past 2 years and see who came out on top...

They don't really want to cut costs too much. I mean you could just set each team a budget, and that would be it, but part of the attraction is that F1 is supposed to be the most extreme motorsport with the most advanced engineering. It's supposed to be a test of the team and it's ability to design and build cars, as well as to race them to success.

If you went to the logical extreme and had everyone using the same identical cars to concentrate purely on driver ability, not only would you diminish F1, you'd probably end up with Schumacher winning again.

Over the years, we've seen rule changes to slow the cars down and to remove technology that gives one team overwhelming advantages - sometimes in the same season the tech has first appeared, but ultimately it's always the case that the best drivers with the best cars win - and that's pretty much the way it should be.

Personally, I agree with one of the posters in the other F1 thread that the problem is the older designed tracks that are very poor for passing. Tracks like Monaco are in the season because it's where all the corporate customers go to wheeler-deal, but it's an unsafe, boring track that's only there for nostalgia. It would never get approved as a track today. The races at newer tracks like Barhain and Malaysia have shown that good tracks can make exciting racing, and apart from Ferrari being way out in front, the rest of the teams are acutally closer together than they have ever been, with BAR, Renault, Jaguar etc all raising their game this season.

It's still early days though. We had the same talk last year when Ferrari got off to a good start, and yet at the end Shumacher just managed to scrape through to get the championship. There's more races this year, so more time for other teams to make up the difference. It's just been the case this year that Ferrari once again has been more together out of the blocks than the other teams, and have once again reaped the rewards that implies.

I have to wonder if Michael, Rory and Ross stayed at Benetton what would've happened. Would the people who complain about Ferrari's dominance now be worried about Benetton? Of course that's an unfair question, since it never happened.

You got to remember that Ferrari hadn't won in over 20 years. That's a long time for any manufacturer. Also Ferrari didn't have any main sponsors until after Enzo died. Enzo had always stated that he never wanted any type of sponsors logos on the car unless they were small. After Enzo died and Ferrari went after Michael then and only then did they add huge sponsor tags on the car(namely Malboro). Shell had sponsored Ferrari since the car runs on oil and petrol too.

Interesting to see after 9/11 in 2001 ferrari raced at Monza with no logos.
monza-44.jpg

monza.jpg

monza-13.jpg

Very nice indeed.

The Dubai race was a brand new race. If all the competitors had been up to scratch then the race should've been a closer one. As it turns out(and as it has been proven by the last 2 races) Ferrari and Bridgestone have done there business this year. They others have dropped the ball. It's time they decide to pick it up since the next few races will be in Europe(or race tracks that they have run on before).

My belief though is this. The Ferrari's this year ARE 1-1.5 secs faster than any other car atm. Which goes to show that in designing this years car Rory Bryne decided right by going with the evolution instead of the revolution. This car is what last years car should've been.

One team I feel that has picked up the pace is BAR. Last year they had engine faliure after engine failure yet this year they have been reliable. It's something hopefully McLaren can pickup on.

Just something else to note. Apparently the last time Ferrari had an engine failure was in 2001 at the Indy US GP so a tribute has to be given to the engine designers as well as Shell who supply the oil.

Something else the other teams can learn from?

US

How about including one Endurance race with double points?
1000 km, 500 miles or 24 Hours... they are all fine with me. (this also would most likely mean introducing headlights to the cars, but that would be interesting to see how teams would be able to fit those in.)

and well, they drive already in dry, in rain and heck even sandstorm could be possible, so why not ice as well? it would be interesting eelement to tire manufacturers.

;)

Geeforcer said:

:loud applause:

exactly... why penalise ferrari? they struggled... they sorted themselves out and now they dominate...

don't forget mc laren and williams also have excellent cars...

I'll still say the most edge-of-my-seat F1 race in recent memory was when Damon Hill amost won a race in an Arrows.

I stopped watching after the 1st lap - knew hed won then .

I dont call that a race - i call it a parade .

F1 is no longer competitive - its time for a major format change .

Back